User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Software and Freeware

Anti-virus is what inspired this, but I suppose I want to see all the software you pay for vs what you use for free and any blunders you've come across.

So what do/did ya'll pay for that you love?
    And whats free that you love?
    What are your software essentials on your computer? Things you have to have?
    Anything you paid for/downloaded for free that you hated?

I've been using Microsoft security essentials since it is free and I have that OS, and I've never thought of paying for anti-virus protection after the fiasco that norton and mcafee both were.

Steam is free in and of itself, and the games are super cheap on there all the time. It has helped a TON.

I did, however, pay for language speaking class software and I love the program.. it was worth the money rather than looking things up on youtube and the internet. It's a solid foundation for the price ($30, way cheaper than Rosetta stone).

I also paid for Neat software, a scanning software advertised on TV that I really do love. I suppose I could have old-fashioned scanned everything in by hand and used a free print-to-pdf software for the same thing, but the software is really easy to use, user friendly, and it has saved me space and potential identity risks.

I was considering buying a music-organization system of some kind but I just don't even know where to begin.. much of my music isn't legal, I have scattered music on amazon that IS legal, and I don't use apple products so I have no centralized system for organizing it all together.. I don't even know where to start.

@Halla74 and @ygolo I expect both of you to answer this thread!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I always load up a new computer with LibreOffice (It's a fork of Open Office), GIMP and Inkscape. GIMP is a free, powerful and more awkward version of Photoshop, and Inkscape is a free, powerful and awkward vector Art program. Audacity, a open source audio program is also very hand to have. Oh, and I use the free version of WinAmp for music, but I don't know if that's the best thing out there. It probably depends on your needs. VLC is a very nice to to have for video playback. Media Center is way bloated.

MBTI
    INFJ

In addition to WinXP I have Linux Mint 9 which is all about free stuff, and it has a repository with actually a lot of good programs in it.

I've used Inkscape, GIMP, Bluefish, Audacity, Open Office and... I think everything that @Qlip already said oddly enough.

Battle for Wesnoth is a pretty cool free game with 'paid for' quality. Open TTD is another one.

Edit: as for stuff I've paid for... I'm not spendy so that isn't much at all. A few Steam games and I have some old games from the 90's that I bought still laying around.

I bought Minecraft which is pretty awesome, and Desktop Dungeons.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    In addition to WinXP I have Linux Mint 9 which is all about free stuff, and it has a repository with actually a lot of good programs in it.

I've used Inkscape, GIMP, Bluefish, Audacity, Open Office and... I think everything that Qlip already said oddly enough.

Battle for Wesnoth is a pretty cool free game with 'paid for' quality. Open TTD is another one.
    That's 'cuz we are Linux gurus.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I use almost exclusively free software, other than games. Most useful things can be replaced by freeware that does most or all of the important things anyway.

Free that I use - browsers, timer programs, antivirus programs, poweriso (demo I think, but it works), google docs, VLC. I've used GIMP before and if I did photoshop stuff anymore I'd download it, but I've never bothered on my current computer. I use itunes and hate it, but I love my ipod so I guess I can deal with it.
    -end of thread-

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Whenever I install a new computer, I follow the following installation procedures:

1. Microsoft Security Essentials (nice compact trustworthy antivirus tool that doesn't clog up your processor.)
    2. Google Chrome
    4. Winrar (Trusty unzip tool)
    5. Notepad++ (Very powerful notepad tool if you enjoy the occasional programming.)
    6. Piriform CCleaner (nice adware/malware free tool that helps keep windows clean)

That's all I need, and it is all free!

I have a fraps liscense though, but haven't used the tool in years. On occasion I've bought some software, but nothing that stuck with me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    and I've never thought of paying for anti-virus protection after the fiasco that norton and mcafee both were.
    Norton is definately the worst of the two. But I agree Mcafee isn't that much better.

Microsoft Security Essentials is powerful enough to get the job done as long as you don't expose yourself too much on shady sites, and it doesn't slow your PC down while it's working. Supah!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Inkscape is great for vectors. I got MacJournal 5 as part of a software bundle a while back, which I mostly use to organise my writing. WriteRoom is also great for writing without distractions, but I haven't bothered to upgrade from the free version. Anki is a decent flashcard application, especially for learning language vocabulary.

WALMART

Cool thread.

I used to work at a uhaul, i found a ms office 2010 disk with no registration code in a storage unit.... I called up MS and they sold me a new code for ten bucks. Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Cool thread.

I used to work at a uhaul, i found a ms office 2010 disk with no registration code in a storage unit.... I called up MS and they sold me a new code for ten bucks. Cool stuff.
    I registered at a college and got a discount (I'm in TX too, so it should work with any UTSystem). You don't need to actually register any classes. It wasn't that cheap though..