User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Will humans become an evolutionary dead-end?

I have been wondering about the long-term future of the human race from an evolutionary stand-point By long-term future I'm talking about thousands or millions of years from now.

It's hard to know what the long -term future will bring but curious what you think will happen.

Do you think that:

1) The human race as we know it today will become extinct because humans will evolve into some other species that's better equipped to handle its environment. If you think this will happen, what do you imagine the new species to be like?

2) The human race will become extinct and there will be no other species to follow it. Humans will become an evolutionary dead-end. If you think this will happen, when do you think it will be? What would be the primary cause of humans demise?

3) The human race will remain and not evolve into any new species. There may be other intelligent beings out there which humans helped create but this is not evolution.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think we will find a new definition for humanity or soul based around the commonalities intrinsic to life/self repeating processes. I think the new "humanity" will have many forms as Bioengineering, nanotechnology, and AI will let us adapt to new environmental in specialized ways or to change our adaptation over time. Some will be specialized for the tasks we perform now such as resource acquisition, combat, research, reproduction, etc but perhaps with many new layers of complexity whole new kinds of interaction fields will emerge to connect the disparate regions of our civilization. Imo viewing humanity as a whole is flawed. Just as to view all biological life as part of the same protein machine is flawed. However, it is true as well, and that conflict is what will spur our evolution.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Personally I think it's a mix of 1 and 3. We will always consider ourselves to be humans, but over the course of thousands of years, small changes will probably be made in our genome. For example, pretty sure that people 1000 years ago were alot shorter than people now (like 95% sure, but i feel like it might be wrong)
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

In order for the human race to exist in the future, we have to grow and expand as a civilization faster than the statistical chance in which mega disasters occur that threaten our existence (such as large asteroids, supernovas, the "death" of our sun, ice ages, all out nuclear war, etc.)

Studies show that IQ has progressed over time in relation to the advancement of our technology and means of communication. Evolution is based off of the length of time and the challenges which a certain species have to overcome from its environment.

Humanity's survival, in a simple perspective, is a race against time to increase our own maturity so we meet our challenges which nature will inevitably will throw at us time and again. What is important is how quickly we can develop a means to overcome each obstacle efficiently before that disaster comes to pass.

As we work to achieve our continued existence our own evolution will reflect those efforts and we will change biologically in order to best suit our needs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

random thought, what if humans evolve into seperate species? like couch-sitters and semi-active/athletic people? I mean I can see possible muscle deterioration or something similar as a result of multi-generational laziness (over the course of a few hundred years ofc).

Look at the appendix, better food---> no need for that organ---> it turns into a useless piece of flesh that gets infected occasionally
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

You should check out this site if you haven't already: http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm#.UAm3aLSe6So

I went through a phase where I was completely obsessed with this type of stuff - transhumanism, bio tech, nano tech, etc. It's like Ne-mental masturbation.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars!
    Carl Sagan
    Always look up at the stars, and not down at your feet.
    Stephen Hawking
    Even if the human form remains the same, our knowledge will continue to rise at an exponential rate, and hence the human mind will evolve.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

And I think it will happen on a different planet and maybe even in a different galaxy.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I have been wondering about the long-term future of the human race from an evolutionary stand-point By long-term future I'm talking about thousands or millions of years from now.

It's hard to know what the long -term future will bring but curious what you think will happen.

Do you think that:

1) The human race as we know it today will become extinct because humans will evolve into some other species that's better equipped to handle its environment. If you think this will happen, what do you imagine the new species to be like?

2) The human race will become extinct and there will be no other species to follow it. Humans will become an evolutionary dead-end. If you think this will happen, when do you think it will be? What would be the primary cause of humans demise?

3) The human race will remain and not evolve into any new species. There may be other intelligent beings out there which humans helped create but this is not evolution.

Ortega on Meths: You live that long, things start happening to you. You get too impressed with yourself. Ends up, you think you’re God. Suddenly the little people, thirty, maybe forty years old, well, they don’t really matter anymore. You’ve seen whole societies rise and fall, and you start to fell you’re standing outside it all, and none of it really matters to you. And maybe you’ll start snuffing those little people, just like picking daisies, if they get under your feet. … I’m not talking about Bancroft. I’m talking about his kind. They’re like A.I.s. They’re a breed apart. They’re not human. They deal with humanity the way you and I deal with insect life
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Hopefully humanity will just kill itself off and spare everyone else.