User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    As long as we continue to control the environment, assuming that once we have the ability to do so and replenish as we reuse, then I don't see the ability to evolve as necessary. We need something to change. Ice caps melting, rising tides, warmer climates yes changes in our ability to deal with higher temps. could occur, but if that can even be stunted, and completely stalled I see no need to evolve.

We could easily reach the point where we no longer need to change.

On the other hand: Mutations happen on whims as well, but how are we to predict random DNA strand alterations.

A subject I am also not quite so familiar on is the law of attraction. Changes in who we breed could cause an offspring that needs to adapt, but I would feel that human to human offspring will still result in something 99% human not barring the second aspect of the post.
    We never stop evolving. We just have different selective pressures on us today. Given our control over the environment, natural selection isn't as much of a force as it was in the past (though a new pathogen or a meteor could change that at any moment), but sexual selection is as strong as it ever was.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We never stop evolving. We just have different selective pressures on us today. Given our control over the environment, natural selection isn't as much of a force as it was in the past (though a new pathogen or a meteor could change that at any moment), but sexual selection is as strong as it ever was.
    I thought mentioning a meteor crash, but I thought the outcome might be too devastating and kill the human race instead of change the environment for the human race. I suppose virus' do always develop an immunity and so we would eventually if that didn't kill us first either. I agree though.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

If humankind were or became a dead end then what would take our place?

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If humankind were or became a dead end then what would take our place?
    if we're talking about something that pretty much destroyed most of life on the surface (since, you know, we're pretty much everywhere)...

i would put my wager on some offspring of this:

the Mormyrus kannume. it has the same brain to body mass relativity of humans - to have the same overall cognitive power as us it just needs to either get as big as us or develop the social communication level to compensate for a larger division within the separated "processing units" (individual fish), and i think the later is not that unlikely considering they already communicates through electric signals, sentient level intelligence from combined school of fish might not be far fetch, if they evolve to have their external electric signals to better represent their internal electric signals. in addition it's extending elephant-like snout would be very useful for object manipulation, already having the equivalent of an apposable thumb.

unlike dolphins and whales, it is a true fish, and will be less affected by whatever destroyed life on the surface and the resulting atmospheric conditions, and unlike squids or octopuses which utilize salt in their oxygen filtering system, it is a fresh water fish, making the evolution to amphibian status a lot easier (unless the land apocalypse will somehow salt the atmosphere), while some might not consider the rise to land an important aspect of a dominant species, let's not underestimate the value of fire, or the limited scope of freshwater bodies. i think among the potentially-intelligent swimmers of earth, it is the most likely to get a foothold, or, well.. any kind of foot to began with.

To be honest, I will be really happy if the human race lasts well past my expected life-time, let alone millions of years.

If our population and resource usages trend the way have been going, we have apocalyptic resources shortages, and out of control weather to look forward to in just 40 years.

If we can manage to dodge this problem, I would feel more secure. But right now, people as struggling on a day to day basis. I'm not sure many care about the long term picture.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    To be honest, I will be really happy if the human race lasts well past my expected life-time, let alone millions of years.

If our population and resource usages trend the way have been going, we have apocalyptic resources shortages, and out of control weather to look forward to in just 40 years.

If we can manage to dodge this problem, I would feel more secure. But right now, people as struggling on a day to day basis. I'm not sure many care about the long term picture.
    This @ the bold. It is evident in everyday's business as usual and unlikely to change other than by force of circumstances.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    STUF

http://www.planetaryresources.com/careers/
    Whoops.

Society

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7P_PevQahI"]again, everyone worship our new leaders - Mormyrus kannume [/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    http://www.thevenusproject.com/

http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm#.UA80u_VD3Tq
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp

In all honesty, I would choose the second. Why? because, to me, it makes the most sense. From a natural/evolutionary point of view, we're pretty much destroying ourselves and everything around us. Not all of us, granted. But, humans are the only species that kill its own just because. Not necessarily for survival. We kill over disagreements over religion, among other things. We, as far as I know, are the only species who debase our young so that they grow up not feeling as a whole person. Have humans done marvelous things? Of course. But, the harm, from my standpoint, outweighs that. Maybe I'm wrong though. Only time will tell. And, by then, I'll be long gone anyway. :3 Anyway... In the end, I feel that, for nature, and perhaps this world, to survive, evolution will have to "decide" on what would be better. Allowing a species to survive that could destroy all of the rest, or "sacrifice" the one species so all of the others may thrive. Or have that much of a better chance of doing so. When will this happen? Allow me to dig out my tarot cards. >.> Honestly, I don't know. It could happen within five or ten years or a thousand to a million years from now. However, those are just my thoughts.
    I have no idea who I am. All I can say is let's rock hard.