First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

@SuchIrony
    I keep hearing humans will evolve into their respective classes as people begin to stratify. Selective breeding = different types of humans, which can over time change into different species, like what is portrayed in the movie The Time Machine. It would be awesome if we could move into other planets, but I don't think that would hinder the stratification of the species. Stratification seems to make things unstable though. As soon as the ruling class gets too overconfident and they give up all attempts at self control they tend to get shut down hard by the underclass or by another group.

I for one would like to live the rest of my life in a giant blue alien avatar running around some crazy alien jungle. Failing that, I would like to see the natural world before it is killed off by climate change. Evolution is great if you live long enough to see it, but I probably wont.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Ginkgo

Species don't change. They give rise to other species until they are extinct. If a new species rose out of humanity, humanity wouldn't necessarily be gone. I believe that all species on earth, now and later, will eventually be extinct. Yet, believing this only gives one reason to be grateful for the time we are granted here, and to treat others humanely.

MBTI
    INFJ

Yes all species eventually run out of genetic 'steam' and go extinct.

Modern humans - H. sapiens sapiens - are actually a subspecies and we are quite genetically defined at this point, yet we are the only members left in the species, and also the only members left in our genus. This means we are already running out of biodiversity and are already approaching the end of the line. It's going to be hard to get a new species out of humans by natural means.

However, humans are so hardy and well adapted to many environments, with the addition of human intelligence we will probably persist much as we are for the foreseeable future, but chances are we will die out before a new species arises, unless we use our intelligence to interfere with genetics.

ReflecTcelfeR

As long as we continue to control the environment, assuming that once we have the ability to do so and replenish as we reuse, then I don't see the ability to evolve as necessary. We need something to change. Ice caps melting, rising tides, warmer climates yes changes in our ability to deal with higher temps. could occur, but if that can even be stunted, and completely stalled I see no need to evolve.

We could easily reach the point where we no longer need to change.

On the other hand: Mutations happen on whims as well, but how are we to predict random DNA strand alterations.

A subject I am also not quite so familiar on is the law of attraction. Changes in who we breed could cause an offspring that needs to adapt, but I would feel that human to human offspring will still result in something 99% human not barring the second aspect of the post.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    As long as we continue to control the environment, assuming that once we have the ability to do so and replenish as we reuse, then I don't see the ability to evolve as necessary. We need something to change. Ice caps melting, rising tides, warmer climates yes changes in our ability to deal with higher temps. could occur, but if that can even be stunted, and completely stalled I see no need to evolve.

We could easily reach the point where we no longer need to change.

On the other hand: Mutations happen on whims as well, but how are we to predict random DNA strand alterations.

A subject I am also not quite so familiar on is the law of attraction. Changes in who we breed could cause an offspring that needs to adapt, but I would feel that human to human offspring will still result in something 99% human not barring the second aspect of the post.
    Yeah. All of our genetic combinations will not result in anything significantly different.

The best diversity we have left right now is skin color which helps fight UV rays, and built in genetic resistances to diseases. These things can be passed on and shared between different races of humans, but doing so makes us even less diverse - nothing actually new is likely to come out of it that we don't already have.

Most of our variations that we have left are overridden by our adaptive intelligence, and aren't under pressure for survival. Two fit humans are just going to make another fit human - we won't get something improved out of it that gives additional survival advantages beyond what is already possible.

Random mutations are still a possibility but most of the time they are insignificant and may even be detrimental, usually not beneficial.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

We're gonna get

bigger
    blacker
    stronger

or whatever, IDK.

I guess in the future, we're gonna turn brown, or grey, and be able to time travel back to now and abduct our past selfs so our past selfs describe tall grey looking space men.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well I think at the micro and macro levels humans are experiencing a kind of maturational crisis which has resulted in a permanently arrested development.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post

However, humans are so hardy and well adapted to many environments, with the addition of human intelligence we will probably persist much as we are for the foreseeable future, but chances are we will die out before a new species arises, unless we use our intelligence to interfere with genetics.
    Agreed.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hopefully humanity will just kill itself off and spare everyone else.

I can assure you the plight of sentience is not exclusive to this planet.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    random thought, what if humans evolve into seperate species? like couch-sitters and semi-active/athletic people? I mean I can see possible muscle deterioration or something similar as a result of multi-generational laziness (over the course of a few hundred years ofc).
    Not likely, speciation is usually the result of geographical isolation. Humans currently have no geographical obstacles that prevent interbreeding. If we set up a colony on Mars and lost the ability to travel there, then we would have some speciation take place.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."