First 123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Ya, but it went black. Then back to light blue. Maybe it was just a video-glitch-thing going on.
    I'll have to research why the sky turns black.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I think the narrator on the scene said that the sky turned black. I can apparently hear it better than you can.
    Wild! I actually heard that, but it was such a drastic change that I wasn't too sure whether or not the black could have dissipated that quickly into a normal, friendly sky.

Pretty freakin awesome.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Wild! I actually heard that, but it was such a drastic change that I wasn't too sure whether or not the black could have dissipated that quickly into a normal, friendly sky.

Pretty freakin awesome.
    I'm glad you pointed that out about the sky. I don't have an "official" explanation of the effect. But we know that the sky is really black all the time, as it is on the moon, and that the blue appearance is caused by molecules in the atmosphere scattering the blue part of the spectrum. If this didn't occur, the sky would appear black during the daytime. The intensity of the light from the atomic blast apparently interferes with this blue light-scattering phenomenon temporarily, causing the sky to appear as it really is.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Ah phooey, I don't think that's the right explanation. And anyway, the sky in the video doesn't turn black, so I've come up with a better explanation.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Observe that the sky in the video doesn't really turn black, it's just really dark blue. The blue coloration of the sky is caused by scattering of the blue spectrum. The intensity of light emanating from the blast magnifies this scattering effect.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't want to spoil the fun, but it looks like there are two camera's, neither of them change the color of the sky, the one pointing towards the explosin appears to have a shader lens of sorts as to try and record the flash the the explosion in proper contrast. Otherwise the explosion might not be visible as the light of the explosion would exceed the recording capacity of the camera, and would just appear white.

So, these boys had already seeded their offspring prior to the explosion I assume?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    STUF

There are many eyewitness accounts of nuclear explosions that describe the sky as being dark, though cameras would definitely need to adjust for exposure and as such probably aren't reliable in this case. The darkness is likely a combination of multiple effects. disruption of the density of air around the explosion, combustion of various components in the atmosphere, and perhaps Mal's description as well.
    Whoops.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    There are many eyewitness accounts of nuclear explosions that describe the sky as being dark, though cameras would definitely need to adjust for exposure and as such probably aren't reliable in this case. The darkness is likely a combination of multiple effects. disruption of the density of air around the explosion, combustion of various components in the atmosphere, and perhaps Mal's description as well.
    Or perhaps flash blindness.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Ya, but it went black. Then back to light blue. Maybe it was just a video-glitch-thing going on.
    I don't know for sure because film from that day is different from film and video stock of today, but my guess is that the brightness of the explosion caused the iris to constrict and let less light in, making the sky turn from blue to black. You can get the same effect by taking a picture of a bare light bulb with your camera...the rest of the room will appear darker than it really is.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Or perhaps flash blindness.
    Probably this. When it detonates you first get a fireball that travels at the speed of light at 10,000,000 kelvins - two thousand times hotter than the Sun. That's going to give you at least temporary flash blindness up to like 12 miles away, and burn out your retinas if you look directly at it.

Edit: also coincidentally, the only reason that this doesn't set the entire atmosphere on fire and incinerate the planet and everyone like they initially thought was possible is the inverse Compton effect, which cools it down so that this doesn't happen.