User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Mac or PC, laptop or desktop?

Any advice for me? My computer is dying and I need something new. I am hoping to do some stuff with music recording/video/photo in the next few years. Other than that I use the computer for word processing and internet. No gaming.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

If you're getting a desktop, I'd vote for a PC. Invest in a monitor that seems ridiculously large, because once you start normalizing to that size, you'll wonder how you did without it. It's a work-productivity thing. Especially if you're running multiple applications at once, which by your description you will be doing. I'd go a step up from entry level if you want to run high-demand programs, or even two steps up if you want this computer to last a long while and you don't foresee yourself upgrading parts of your hardware from time to time (which a lot of PC users do).

If you're getting a laptop, get a macbook. They hold their value and utility the longest, their battery life/efficiency is best (it means you can escape to coffee shops to work, without being constrained by your battery life). You won't be tinkering with the hardware, so the macbook's "everything works" hardware-to-software dial is tight compared to some (though not all) PC laptops.

You might also want to consider your phone (android users lean PC, iphone users lean apple, because applications can more easily cooperate).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks for the input! That makes a lot of sense.

If you get a PC, I'd wait until the end of the summer, when Windows 8 is released. Music wise, I don't know what's going to happen to a lot of new software with the advent of tablet computing interfaces. Windows will still have it's old way of doing things, but I'm wondering if many apps will be updated. Personally, I think it'd be a good step up. Most music software works better with midi controllers and mixers, but with touchscreens, that can all be digital too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I don't know about the music related software, but I'm a huge fan of Macs. They're just a lot easier to use. I'm less worried about the security issues as well (at least for the time being).

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I wondered if Macs were still more secure, or if that has changed since more people have made the switch. For PC fans, what is the main draw for you? I know it used to be that software was more compatible between your computer and other people's, but I think that gap has been largely bridged.

Also, any particular reasons why I would not want to go laptop? I've always had a desktop, and I know in the old days I just didn't find laptops that useful for portability as they were still pretty heavy and there was a short battery life. I think that part has improved now by quite a bit.

I'm not really planning to do a lot of travelling with it, but I think it would be useful for presentations with a projector and also when there is family coming over, I'd rather the kids not feel free to use it all the time, so it's nice to have something you can just put away.

I sort of like the substantial feel of a desktop keyboard. I also have found in the past that laptops tend to overheat sometimes. I like being able to burn CDs with a double tray, although I realize that technology is on its way out (I still like having something tangible and quick like that though).

I'm also wondering about the shelf life of both (assuming that I didn't do a bunch of upgrading a desktop). It seems to me like a lot of people with laptops feel like they need to buy something new every 3 years or so as opposed to the 5 you may get out of a desktop. That may not be accurate though.

MBTI
    INFP

iMac (desktop)

Pure preference.

The man and I are going to buy one this winter.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

What informed your decision in that direction?

PS Hey! What happened to your curly hair?

MBTI
    INFP

I had an iMac in college back in 06 & I fell in love. They are clean and bright and beautiful. I'm big into interior design, and imacs just take the cake on aesthetics.

It's still curly. And long. Twas straight for that pic. Grand Central station in NYC.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I have an iMac. Personally, I think they're great for video and graphics work. This comes from using both PC and Mac as a graphic artist in the printing industry. Macs are still more secure, but it always pays to have anti-virus software installed. Haven't had a laptop, so can't recommend any.

If you're going to be using programs like Excel, Word, etc., a lot a PC might be a better choice, but Mac does have equivalent programs available and you can even run a virtual Windows program on the Mac.

The Mac is probably going to be more expensive. My last iMac lasted 5 years with virtually no problems.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga