• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Evolution, humans combining with AI, Cyborg race

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Was just imagining a future where we actaully join forces with computer tech and merge together to make a new race.

I have heard a lot of people talking about how we haven't changed much on an evolutionary scale in the past several thousand years. What if we are at the beginning of a new phase of evolution and just not realised it yet?

It would be opposed to the common theory/theme of robots taking over the world and wars between AI's and humans.

The interest sparked from watching a T.E.D talk (Um posted it somewhere) and thinking of robokinesis...-a half made up word to explain the idea of linking a brain to a computer to manipulate real things via robotics or controling a computer using the mind alone. At this early stage you have to program the computer to follow your instructions.

So in this (imagined) ideal section of human evolution, we will mostly become cyborgs.

I'm interested in what people think of this...?

How will it change society?

How will it change the world?

Could we all end up living in a utopia without greed/hunger/hatred/suffering?

And if that is so... what next? If it is not to be...why not?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Clearly you all need an unrealistic pretty cyborg pic to help you visualise.

Face.jpg

KDude

I think something close to it has to be done if we haven't/can't figure out a better way for space travel other than propulsion (ie warpdrive or wormholes). It would take 60,000 years to travel to the nearest star using our current rocket technology (and you aren't going to hold enough fuel for 6 years anyways, let alone 60,000). If there was a faster ion propulsion technology, or solar sails.. or who knows...it'd be somewhat faster and more efficient, but even then, our biology wouldn't last through it. A machine could last a long time and repair itself or assemble new parts easily.

This goes without mentioning the longterm effects of space travel on our bodies. If we were cyborgs, we could finally be space travellers too. Or, we could stay on this planet, forget about the rest of the universe, and deal with the same ole same ole, fight the same old wars, and believe in the same old stupid bullshit, and sit it out for millions of years thinking we're special until our sun destroys us.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yah, i like it...but i would also like to elaborate on the idea i have which stems from something else... rather than transferring the human brain into a robotic body... it's more the other way round...ummm...let me see.

Ok so here is the snippet of a TED talk... (originally posted by uniquemixture)

http://medgadget.com/2010/07/emotiv_eeg_headset_shown_at_tedglobal_2010.html

I was thinking, we could get to a stage where we are so in tune with robokinesis that our brains will be in natural harmony with computers/AI... thus effecting the (quite natural) beginning of an evolved state of being.