• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Brain scanner helps "vegetables" speak

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oh man, i was hoping it was about carrots :( still cool nonetheless.

Lark

And they wanted to be eaten all along?! I knew it.

Oh wait, not that sort of vegetable.

ygolo

My termites win
It's funny. I was flipping through channels the other day, and there was a show on where a neuroscience professor was helping to catch a bomber by asking yes or no questions to a bombing victim that was unable to communicate normally.

He asked them to think about one thing for yes and to think about another thing for no. Then they used the fMRI to get answers.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
This is exciting.

Hopefully MRI technology will advance enough that these people won't have to wear an SUV-sized hat just to be able to speak. :D

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
This is great news. Now those with 'locked in' syndrome can communicate.
The book "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly" was dictated by Dominique Bauby using blinks from the lid of his left eye. That was the only part of his body he could control. Now others aflicted similarly will be able to 'speak'.