User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Boson found!! Possibly Higgs!

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This extraordinary discovery proves that the Standard Model of Particle Physics is not only beautiful, but true.

The poets told us that truth is beauty and beauty is truth, and the physicists have confirmed it.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The standard model and general relativity still conflict. String theory is looking like a less than viable candidate for unification. However, perhaps there is hope for string theory to be tested in the future.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm just waiting this discovery to translate into different tech on the market.
    "Coming soon, the new transdimensional shaver 3000. Have you ever wanted to shave your the past? With the new transee 3000 you can! Shave yourself in the past, the future, or even yourself from somewhere else.

It's as easy as 1-2 BUZZ. CALL NOW!"
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm just curious as to what the real world implications of the discovery are.
    The most immediate implications are that ordinary people will sit up and take notice of physics for a little while, and see that it is not all about bringing technology to market.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

I'm not sure what this means except that I should post here and be hoping for kit-kats for everyone.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Not anytime soon, lol.
    i am sure it felt long if you lived through it, but in retrospect it didn't take that long for the STR and GTR to change world politics and accelerate the information age, did it?

also, could something close to this come out of it?

this discovery screams of Wil McCarthy sci fi ideas to me.

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    It was a 5 sigma event, very high probability. this is a bit different than the neutrino situation. there is a 99.99995 chance the result can be reproduced.
    Hmm, well, it makes the chances of it being some other particle very very small.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Cool The Perfect Metaphor

I'm just curious as to what the real world implications of the discovery are.
    Perhaps the most important real world implication is that we now have a new metaphor. Yes, the Higgs Boson is the perfect metaphor for life.

All of us want to fly. We want to be as light as, well, light, and fly wherever we want, but we are held down by the Higgs Boson.

We want to be ethereal angels dancing for joy but the Higgs Boson holds us down with mass. Yes, the Higgs Boson holds us down to the Earth. The Higgs Boson makes us earth-bound. It permeates our every being. And makes us a dull heavy mass.

The Higgs Boson is not called the God Particle for nothing, for the Higgs Boson resembles nothing less than original sin, the sin that cuts us off from the angels, the sin that cuts us off from heaven, and the sin that cuts us off from God.

Without the Higgs Boson we would be lighter than a feather, we would be as light and as beautiful a cloud - but instead we are dull clods, weighed down by the mass of the Higgs Boson.