User Tag List

First 123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    You'll be waiting quite a while then I think Higgs is more important for it's theorhetical ramifications. If you want revolutions look at computing, biotech, nanotechnology. Soooo much stuff going on in meta-materials right now.
    A discovery of this size is a huge deal. It will eventually happen. It's just a question of time.

I'm just curious as to what the real world implications of the discovery are.

MBTI
    STUF

There aren't really any real world applications other than a fuller understanding of the way things work, and a sign that we have a lot further to go down the rabbit hole.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm just waiting this discovery to translate into different tech on the market.
    I'm highly doubtful that any will appear in my lifetime. And the pessimist in me thinks it will appear in weapons first.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    There aren't really any real world applications other than a fuller understanding of the way things work, and a sign that we have a lot further to go down the rabbit hole.
    Yeah. Not a physicist, but I think this is a significant, but small step toward a Theory of Everything

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not true that the higgs-bonson holds the universe together.

That is me does that.
    For God's sake, don't let go!

Smile

This extraordinary discovery proves that the Standard Model of Particle Physics is not only beautiful, but true.

The poets told us that truth is beauty and beauty is truth, and the physicists have confirmed it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm just waiting this discovery to translate into different tech on the market.
    Not anytime soon, lol.

Also, I kinda hope that never happens.The first step to manipulating higgs-boson particles is by accelerating them removing the mass from other particles. So matter can be erased. Not a technology I'm eager to wait around for.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Also, I kinda hope that never happens.The first step to manipulating higgs-boson particles is by accelerating them removing the mass from other particles. So matter can be erased. Not a technology I'm eager to wait around for.
    *sigh* And I so wanted a disintegrating ray gun!

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

OMG I'm so excited!
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    It was a 5 sigma event, very high probability. this is a bit different than the neutrino situation. there is a 99.99995 chance the result can be reproduced.
    Read some more (in-depth) articles and I take it all back. Thanks for pointing that out.

But still, we've got a long way to go before this is something we fully comprehend...and I'm excited for when we have a better idea of what the ramifications are for what we're looking at.