• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Time Travel

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Time Travel.

The science and phsysics of.

What are your thoughts on Time Travel?

Time Travel, going forward and going back both have theories of how that can happen, but they are two different sciences.
To travel forward, you go really really fast (speed of light and stuff).
To travel back, so they say, you'd have to twist/fold space on to it's self.

Paradoxes and stuff too.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I've yet to meet a theory of time that I found coherent with time travel, sadly. But it is a fun thought-experiment. Lots of interesting questions about causality and identity.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am fascinated by the idea of retrocausality. It is the idea that objects in the future can affect the present or the past and that the present can affect the past.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrocausality

In fact a very interesting cat named John Cramer proposed an experiment in 2007 to measure non-local time symmetries using entangled photons.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/09/john-cramers-retrocausal-experiments.html?m=1

It is quite an interesting topic.

Then of course the arrow of time is not necessary in an understanding of modern physics

http://preposterousuniverse.com/eternitytohere/faq.html

Yet is still perceived by our conscious mind. Quite fascinating indeed.

I will try to find once more two articles I read:

1 was explaining hidden time symmetries in obscure quantum equations. The second about the potential for a future civilization to reset time in the face of extinction to allow probability another go at a different outcome.

Edit:

Also of note:

The Einstein–Podolsky–Rosen paradox

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you travel back in time and kill yourself, theoretically you have created a parallel universe.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe if it can be established, a baseline of understanding of particles faster than light, perhaps neutrinos, for example, and understanding their relationship also to space... that baseline understanding could lead to some invention that might enable man to change his place in time.

Some inspiration: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22/faster-than-light-particles-neutrinos

Because if you understand something faster than light, and you also understand something slower than light, maybe the same thing just in a different form...then how time is seen might be changeable using the new substance as an exterior form.

Sorry, I know it sounds way out there. Blah :(

W

WALMART

Travelling into the past will prove to be impossible, i think. Once particles have taken their course there are no "do-overs".

Like everyone knows though, the future is where it's at...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
first of all, we need to define time. in my opinion(feel free to debunk if you can), time is only an concept created by men, measuring how fast something moves in space. in order to go back in time, you would need to move backwards in a space where something that has already happened hasent happened yet. now when it comes to this, we need to look at how space expands. my INTJ friend has a good theory about this, basically photons are always still in space, but space expands, creating an illusion of photons traveling in space, when in fact its the space that expands in the rate of photons. so in order to move back in time, we would need to move faster than photons, which according to laws of physics as we know today is impossible. even if we could move faster than photons(move back in time), it would require us to move in space, away from the place where we want to move in time backwards, sort of escaping from the photons than we previously observed. but then there is another problem, if we move away from earth(lets say we want to move backwards in time of the earth), we would have to go FAAAAAAR away from earth faster than light, just to observe the photons that has been projected by something in earth earlier. but then there is another problem, we can only observe time that has already happened on earth(just like we are observing distant stars and galaxies). in order to overcome this, we would need to move towards earth faster than light again, which would enable us to move back in time. but there are problems in this also(besides it being impossible to move faster than light), when we do move at high speeds in space, we would bump into hydrogen atoms in space(space has around 1 hydrogen atom per square meter), which at high speeds like this would penetrate the what ever we are traveling in and us, causing death.

this has been debunked, just like i suspected when this was released, they didnt take measuring error in electricity slowing down in mass amount of electric circuits into account.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Travelling into the past will prove to be impossible, i think. Once particles have taken their course there are no "do-overs".

Like everyone knows though, the future is where it's at...

NO NO NO.

I want to go to the past. Why couldn't we go to the past? It already happened. It's out there, somewhere.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this has been debunked, just like i suspected when this was released, they didnt take measuring error in electricity slowing down in mass amount of electric circuits into account.

Ahh ok..someone's probably gone back to the drawing board.

W

WALMART

NO NO NO.

I want to go to the past. Why couldn't we go to the past? It already happened. It's out there, somewhere.

You could go into the future so far we've mastered space travel so well you can visit so many planets until you find one that satisfies the conditions of a "past Earth". But you can't go to past Earth. Sorry Marm =(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You could go into the future so far we've mastered space travel so well you can visit so many planets until you find one that satisfies the conditions of a "past Earth". But you can't go to past Earth. Sorry Marm =(

I WANT PAST EARTH, NOW, DADDY, NOW.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you travel back in time and kill yourself, theoretically you have created a parallel universe.

The same if you travel back in time, try to kill yourself but end up being killed by your past self. And then your past self decides that going back in time to kill yourself isn't such a good idea after all.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The same if you travel back and time, try to kill yourself but end up being killed by your past self. aAnd then your past self decides that going back in time to kill yourself isn't such a good idea after all.

For some reason this reminds me of Twelve Monkeys.