• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The African Continent Hasn't Moved for 30 Million Years (Plate Tectonics)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are forces in the Earth which can prevent plate tectonics from determining the distribution of continents around the globe, and which even helped give birth to the human race.

http://www.platetectonics.com/article.asp?a=40&c=8

Hmm... interesting. Although it seems this info is eleven years old, i wonder if there is something more current on his theory?
Also, browsing i found this...which is informative, if you can manage to stay awake.
[YOUTUBE="FoQQ-5Mg0Pk"]Plate tectonics -Africa South America[/YOUTUBE]
Yes it's much further back in history, i will come back to this thread though when i have had more time to internetresearch.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, so there is a more recent and much more in depth article in which this original theory has developed... i found it here...
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-earth-040809-152521

I have given it a quick glance, Burke seems to have done some investigation of mantle plumes now. It even has tables and images!

(favourite, great overview)
ea390001.f5.gif

I do not have the concentration to go through it all right now but it looks fascinating, just wanted to post it for the op and anyone else interested, also so i can come back to it later.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't it fairly obvious that videos depicting the shifting of continents over hundreds of millions or billions of years are highly speculative? If plate tectonics were the only forces driving these motions, just maybe they would be close to reality.