User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Isn't SLI the way of the future? I thought the geeks were getting extremely aroused by it? :confused:
    Hi, I’m as knowledgeable as Xander, but thought I’d chip in my 2 cents.
    I have 2 graphics cards running in SLI and I disagree with Xander.
    My father has 1 card exactly the same, and if he plays LOTRO he has to have his graphics down or it’s a bit blocky, however I can play with EVERYTHING on max and its Smooth.
    Worth it to me

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mooky View Post
    Your post
    Interesting. What video cards and motherboard are you using?

Interesting. What video cards and motherboard are you using?
    u'd have to ask me a tech-y question *sigh*

Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz.
    2 x NVIDIA 512mb 7800 gtx graphics cards running sli

Its a few years old now

MBTI
    INFP

Man, I tried rereading this thread and had another anxiety attack before I was even halfway through. So many factors to consider. Definitely seeing the benefits of the peace-of-mind offered by premade systems. If only they weren't so expensive and crappy!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I don't want an external velociraptor. I'd constantly be watching my flanks. Why on earth would they make an internal hdd that doesn't fit in cases, though?? It makes no sense.
    There are these things called hard drive enclosures... I'm presuming it is those they are talking about and not cases/ enclosures/ chassis. Besides even if it was hinky... if you've got a Cosmos or other stacker clone then simply mount it in a 5 1/4".
    Noted. It looks like a nuclear device. Me like.
    Cold nuclear device though
    Isn't SLI the way of the future? I thought the geeks were getting extremely aroused by it? :confused:
    SLi is a work around the same as crossfire (don't ask for comparisons it doesn't work).

The problem with SLi is that it's software dependant so Battlefield will run quicker but 'something like a game I can't think of right now but does exists' won't. There's a list of games which do support it but what they don't tell you is that it's not always full support.

Oh and mooky, it's not just the graphics card which defines the frame rate... there's lots of factors. Plus mine will clock a 3D06 mark of 18,000+ with a couple of tweaks (like a 50% overclock on the CPU ) that ain't shabby.

3J..
    If you want real speed then keep your eye on the FSB rate. There's stuff out there now that'll do 1600mhz and memory to match. That 1333 stuff is barely any improvement over DDR2. If you are going for DDR3 you may as well do it in style

Oh and at the moment I'd advise HD4870s anyway. Bin Nvidia and go with ATi. The boards are better IME.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Man, I tried rereading this thread and had another anxiety attack before I was even halfway through. So many factors to consider. Definitely seeing the benefits of the peace-of-mind offered by premade systems. If only they weren't so expensive and crappy!
    It's simple... Buy a quad core, one of the new ATis, a velociraptor (2 if you've got enough cash left... 2 velociraptors striped would be cool), get the cooling stuff (check Anandtech for that unless you want watercooling in which case Xtreme Systems is better). If you get DDR3 then go as high speed as you can otherwise stick to DDR2. Get everything non legacy and SATA connections (inc the DVD-ROM) it makes a neater job of the wiring.

Invest in some Arctic Silver AS5 and some ceramique... then start building. Definitely the Cosmos S IMO and for a monitor why not an HP w2408h (I've found little to complain about).

Oh and whether you're aircooling or not, maybe some fan controllers? Having plenty of fans at full speed will create lots of noise... which reminds me, if you want air cooled and you want it to look swish then just buy an Antec 1200... job done.

Just go select a motherboard and then start from there. May I suggest sir checks out the GA-X48T-DQ6 from Gigabyte?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Oh and final note... if you're going to use Vista then you won't need a floppy drive.

So long Legacy

MBTI
    INFP

Places where you lost me:

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's simple... Buy a quad core, one of the new ATis, a velociraptor (2 if you've got enough cash left... 2 velociraptors striped would be cool), get the cooling stuff (check Anandtech for that unless you want watercooling in which case Xtreme Systems is better). If you get DDR3 then go as high speed as you can otherwise stick to DDR2. Get everything non legacy and SATA connections (inc the DVD-ROM) it makes a neater job of the wiring.

Invest in some Arctic Silver AS5 and some ceramique... then start building. Definitely the Cosmos S IMO and for a monitor why not an HP w2408h (I've found little to complain about).

Oh and whether you're aircooling or not, maybe some fan controllers? Having plenty of fans at full speed will create lots of noise... which reminds me, if you want air cooled and you want it to look swish then just buy an Antec 1200... job done.

Just go select a motherboard and then start from there. May I suggest sir checks out the GA-X48T-DQ6 from Gigabyte?
    *reaches for the whiskey+coke*

He lost me at "There"!

*joins JivinJeffJones in a whiskey and coke......with ice*

MBTI
    INFP

I've decided to justify a lengthier spell of procrastination by waiting to see what the Radeon HD 4870 X2 can do. I'll call it "prudence". Just a couple more weeks at most, I think.