User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    A Dell XPS 1530 with a few choice upgrades (like a 1920x1200 display) would probably do very well. Mind you though I just got to 930 quid being "conservative"

Oh and it seems that notebook is a good base model to benchmark against. Trusted reviews like it.
    Actually that was all very helpful. I think.. looking around.. it'll be 3 months or so before the 8800 and a blu-ray drive is in an affordable (ie less than 1000 quid) package for a notebook.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    No. You guys have scared the hell out of me.

It's the same as anything technical... you can spend your cash and get a fast system... it's just that any decent tech would probably pick fault with the choices. All I'm saying is you can either just go out and pick out the candy or you need to understand that you don't necessarily buy the latest sweetheart of the geeks to get a good machine (the prime example being raptors imo).

I'd think that if you got an X38, some OCZ 1150mhz reaper, whatever dual or quad core you can afford, say an HD3870X2 and two of them velociraptors if you really like the idea or maybe two of the Samsung 500Gb Spinpoints... that should make a decent machine. The thing is that unless you spend out on ALL the top tech you just won't get a bulletproof machine with years of life left in it. Not if you want to play the top games at the highest resolution!

Oh and if you ask me, pick your monitor first and make sure to see them all running before you choose. The place where I never ever skimp on price is those pieces of equipment which I use to interact with the computer. After all what's the point of having a ten thousand pound computer if it gives you eyestrain or rsi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Actually that was all very helpful. I think.. looking around.. it'll be 3 months or so before the 8800 and a blu-ray drive is in an affordable (ie less than 1000 quid) package for a notebook.
    Well there's always the same temptation I fell for when they suddenly announce a buy now pay.... deal

I think my bill trebled when I noticed that at E-Buyer!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

I'd certainly echo the monitor recommendation. Even without a brand new computer, it's still a joy to use my full HD 24" Dell monitor. It just looks beautiful, and is great for image editing etc.. and just super comfortable on the eyes when browsing MBTIC!

MBTI
    INFP

My trusty laptop is dying after ~6 years of faultless service, so it looks like I'm gonna have to get off my ass and start buying my new system. Thanks for all your recommendations. The order of the day is definitely "overkill". The cost for the order of the day is a lot of money and my first-born child. Ath's system looks like it's gonna cost ~$5500, which I could live with, I guess. We Australian do indeed get rudely buggered when it comes to buying tech stuff. I'm not even sure if some of the recommendations are available in this country, which means I'll probably have to import some stuff. I don't imagine that'll be a huge problem (postage aside) except for the power supply, which will have to be local. We have 240V power sockets here. Oh, and I noted that one site had a note on the velociraptor saying it will not fit into any hard-drive enclosure. What the hell is up with that? A Jurassic Park reference?

Yes, I'm afraid.

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't imagine that'll be a huge problem (postage aside) except for the power supply, which will have to be local. We have 240V power sockets here.
    Shouldn't matter, probably 99% of all Power Supplies are compatible with everything from 100V to 240V. A few (of the really cheap models), still have switches on the back for choosing between 120V and 240V, everything else does it automatically. Let us know what you're picking, and we'll check to make sure.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Shouldn't matter, probably 99% of all Power Supplies are compatible with everything from 100V to 240V. A few (of the really cheap models), still have switches on the back for choosing between 120V and 240V, everything else does it automatically. Let us know what you're picking, and we'll check to make sure.
    I'm going for the Corsair HX1000W Ath recommended.

I've been looking into her RAM recommendation (OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333), and I'm a bit concerned by this comment I read on a vendor page:

"For a 4 gig configuration, it works fine since you can easily mount to dimm 0 and 2. Attempt to install 8 gigs on a nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard and you will find that the housing, which attaches the pipe on either sides of the module, protrudes into the adjacent slot making mounting to dimm 1 and 3 difficult to impossible."

I think that's the RAM she recommended. It looks like a pretty bulky unit, so I could see how it could cause space problems. And I'd hate to find myself restricted to 4gig of RAM. Or maybe the motherboard she recommended wouldn't have that problem? I dunno how I could check that out without actually buying them.

Also, I've been looking into the ASUS video card she recommended and I'm not sure if I can find it. I've found ones that look like it, like this one, but I can't see SLI on there anywhere.

Okay, I'm a bloody newbie.

MBTI
    INFP

Oh, and I was looking into the velociraptor hdd here and saw this disconcerting addendum: ****WILL NOT FIT IN ANY HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE****

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm going for the Corsair HX1000W Ath recommended.
    That PSU will run on anything from 90V to 264V. (So it's good for your purposes)
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Why on earth would you want an external velociraptor? It'd be like having a phone on vibrate on your table!! If you want to place it in safety then put it in a cooper.

Oh and I think I've found the ultimate case... esp if you fancy your hand at water cooling... The Cosmos S. It'll fit a tripple radiator and a single with no modifications. That's frickin awesome!

Btw, why run a 790 board? Are you going to use SLi? (I'd caution against it as it's a pain and rarely worthwhile.. just get one good graphics card and save the hassle) I think that performance wise the Intel chipsets have the edge at the moment. Just because a board is crossfire compatible doesn't mean you can't run Nvidia graphics cards in it... it just means that SLi won't work.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    That PSU will run on anything from 90V to 264V. (So it's good for your purposes)
    Cheers, mate. Good to know.

Why on earth would you want an external velociraptor? It'd be like having a phone on vibrate on your table!! If you want to place it in safety then put it in a cooper.
    I don't want an external velociraptor. I'd constantly be watching my flanks. Why on earth would they make an internal hdd that doesn't fit in cases, though?? It makes no sense.

Oh and I think I've found the ultimate case... esp if you fancy your hand at water cooling... The Cosmos S. It'll fit a tripple radiator and a single with no modifications. That's frickin awesome!
    Noted. It looks like a nuclear device. Me like.

Btw, why run a 790 board? Are you going to use SLi? (I'd caution against it as it's a pain and rarely worthwhile.. just get one good graphics card and save the hassle) I think that performance wise the Intel chipsets have the edge at the moment. Just because a board is crossfire compatible doesn't mean you can't run Nvidia graphics cards in it... it just means that SLi won't work.
    Isn't SLI the way of the future? I thought the geeks were getting extremely aroused by it? :confused: