User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the monster appeared....Attack of the Multi-quotes, coming to a theater near you sometime soon.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

*waits patiently*

(Btw, J3. Have you chosen a motherboard yet?)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I was all out of KY okay.
    TMI!
    Oh I did consider that. I'd love to do the fish tank routine and section it so I could have fish next to it

That'd confuse a few visitors... and probably the cat!
    If you do that.. just make sure you get tropical fish that require warmer water. Unless you cat likes fish sticks.
    No...

DIE!!!

DIE!!!

A strangely appropriate response to a statement only just made... out of context and yet right back in....

Didn't think of that. Mind you though I'd love to see you convert the LCD to blue

Personally I don't really mind. I have a Cyber Snipa mouse now and that glows all kinda of funny colours (I'm not sure I like it yet so the missus may end up with that one and I'll have my Logitech back).
    The LCD is probably the same specs as the old one, I don't see them deviating too far beyond just colour since they'd have to change drivers etc.. So I'm assuming I could possibly just swap panels as well... That is if it requires more then just swapping out the backlight.

I have two G7's.. They had to go and change the colour scheme on them to one that better suits the rest of my PC
    Oh I hate those kind of holes. I'm having the problem at the moment where I can be chatting using a headset but load up battlefield2142 and the mic shuts off. It's still registered as on but there's no sound and the in game VOIP won't work either.... Most frustrating.
    You're using Vista Common issue.
    Okay two questions, firstly what's your name at Xtreme systems and secondly are you single?

Not a member there.. And unfortunately yes..
    Oh I don't know about that. Me thinks you're being kind on the similar ability score. I still can't overclock worth a damn.
    Meh I don't take overclocking to the extremes either, You won't find me spending hours messing with settings just to get that last 1mhz OC stable.
    Brute force and ignorance is an oft overlooked and underestimate problem solving approach
    Hammer, ducT tape, & WD-40.. all you need in life
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    TMI!
    Well you did ask.

Btw, what precisely are you trying to do with that tongue?
    If you do that.. just make sure you get tropical fish that require warmer water. Unless you cat likes fish sticks.
    It'd eat them. The darn thing doesn't shy from curry so I doubt some par boiled fish would put her off.
    The LCD is probably the same specs as the old one, I don't see them deviating too far beyond just colour since they'd have to change drivers etc.. So I'm assuming I could possibly just swap panels as well... That is if it requires more then just swapping out the backlight.

I have two G7's.. They had to go and change the colour scheme on them to one that better suits the rest of my PC
    Nope. It's a new smaller screen.

Welcome to "advancement"
    You're using Vista Common issue.
    Actually I'm on XP64 at the moment. I gave up on Vista when it refused to install XAMPP. I'm hoping to learn some of this PHP/ Dreamweaver stuff so Vista got the boot.
    Not a member there.. And unfortunately yes..
    You should be, it'd be a classic "one of us, one of us" moment.

As for the other...I'll be over with a bunch of roses shortly
    Meh I don't take overclocking to the extremes either, You won't find me spending hours messing with settings just to get that last 1mhz OC stable.
    Trying to raise my memory from 800 to 900mhz is pain enough and that's supposed to be fairly easy.

Mind you whilst I think about it I think I got thrown by Vista's stability monitor. It picked up more "hard" faults with them overclocked but now I find out that "hard" faults isn't hardware but the darn page file!! Bloody M$ and their "They'll know what we mean... it's obvious isn't it?" philosophy.
    Hammer, ducT tape, & WD-40.. all you need in life
    You forgot the laxatives.
    Three tools for life laxatives, WD40 and duct tape.
    You know the last two I guess. The laxative is a cough solution. Take the laxatives and you'll be too worried to cough hence solving the problem

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Btw, what precisely are you trying to do with that tongue?
    It's a surprise
    It'd eat them. The darn thing doesn't shy from curry so I doubt some par boiled fish would put her off.
    So basically the kitty says bring on the self cooking fish tank.
    Actually I'm on XP64 at the moment. I gave up on Vista when it refused to install XAMPP. I'm hoping to learn some of this PHP/ Dreamweaver stuff so Vista got the boot.
    Ah. I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit DVD sittin here, I've yet to install it tho since I know most of the software I have won't work under Vista.

Good luck on the PHP through Dreamweaver stuff
    You should be, it'd be a classic "one of us, one of us" moment.

As for the other...I'll be over with a bunch of roses shortly
    Maybe one of these day's I'll join, but my PC is pretty out dated by "enthusiasts" standards..

And you had better get rid of the wife before you do.. I won't be someone's plaything on the side :steam:
    Trying to raise my memory from 800 to 900mhz is pain enough and that's supposed to be fairly easy.

Mind you whilst I think about it I think I got thrown by Vista's stability monitor. It picked up more "hard" faults with them overclocked but now I find out that "hard" faults isn't hardware but the darn page file!! Bloody M$ and their "They'll know what we mean... it's obvious isn't it?" philosophy.
    well, you're not using Vista anymore so you have no excuse anymore.. Get to it.
    You forgot the laxatives.
    Three tools for life laxatives, WD40 and duct tape.
    You know the last two I guess. The laxative is a cough solution. Take the laxatives and you'll be too worried to cough hence solving the problem
    lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It's a surprise
    Okaay

So basically the kitty says bring on the self cooking fish tank.
    Knowing our cat it's more along the lines of "where's the hot sauce?"
    Ah. I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit DVD sittin here, I've yet to install it tho since I know most of the software I have won't work under Vista.
    Check out the tweakguide at TweakGuides.com before you install!! Vista is very nice but it also caused me a lot of hours spent trying to get it to work as I wanted it.
    Good luck on the PHP through Dreamweaver stuff
    Well I may have an alternative. A job which I've seen advertised which could be perfect with no additional training...

If that goes right I could be looking at one of these

Maybe one of these day's I'll join, but my PC is pretty out dated by "enthusiasts" standards..
    Well get yourself Linux and a beard and it'll be hot stuff once again
    And you had better get rid of the wife before you do.. I won't be someone's plaything on the side :steam:
    Sorry what kin of car did you say you had?
    well, you're not using Vista anymore so you have no excuse anymore.. Get to it.
    I've started checking out Dreamweaver.. I'm just concerned that I'm not detail orientated enough for programming.
    lol
    Oh my favourite piece of advice was
    "Avoid cutting yourself whilst slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold while you chop."

MBTI
    INXP

If I can jump in here...

I want a notebook for NWN2 - both playing at 1080p and also designing areas in the toolset. I'd love all the bells and whistles turned on - which at the moment my old desktop (X1950 graphics card) is struggling to do.

So what do I need?

(I'm not exactly budget limited, but I don't want cost for the sake of it. Let's say GBP 850)

My main.. hmm.. confusion is whether to go with mobile 8800 or one of the new radeon mobile chips. Is there a big difference between them? I know either way, the graphics card is probably more important than the processor.. as long as it's a dual core of some sort, for this sort of game?

Oh yes, I guess I'd like a Blu-ray drive. Hmm... and I like playing stuff like lego star wars, call of duty just for idle fun. Please note the laptop will be mostly used as an entertainment PC, left plugged into my 1080p 37" Toshiba LCD tv - I just need to be able to take it away when I want to (so the screen size and quality of the actual laptop is less important...)

Many thanks!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If I can jump in here...

I want a notebook for NWN2 - both playing at 1080p and also designing areas in the toolset. I'd love all the bells and whistles turned on - which at the moment my old desktop (X1950 graphics card) is struggling to do.

So what do I need?

(I'm not exactly budget limited, but I don't want cost for the sake of it. Let's say GBP 850)

My main.. hmm.. confusion is whether to go with mobile 8800 or one of the new radeon mobile chips. Is there a big difference between them? I know either way, the graphics card is probably more important than the processor.. as long as it's a dual core of some sort, for this sort of game?

Oh yes, I guess I'd like a Blu-ray drive. Hmm... and I like playing stuff like lego star wars, call of duty just for idle fun. Please note the laptop will be mostly used as an entertainment PC, left plugged into my 1080p 37" Toshiba LCD tv - I just need to be able to take it away when I want to (so the screen size and quality of the actual laptop is less important...)

Many thanks!
    Laptop's hmmm Not so hot on those.

Generally ATi produces nicer frames but Nvidia shoves more out... I think laptop wise Nvidia has it with the mobile 8800s but I'm not sure as I haven't checked on ATi's current offering.

Presumably you tend to get ATi's with AMD cores and Intel's with Nvidia.. You see I'd reckon that NWN2 is more processor intensive than a FPS game because it's slower and involves more in the way of a database behind it. I'd think that for the best performance you'd best check out the reviews of the various laptops themselves. Reason being is that where you'll lose or gain is based on the motherboard, memory and bus systems... as you can't buy laptop boards very easily the information on them is harder to obtain and so you're pretty much in the dark as to if this HP2.1Ghz is actually faster than that Acer 1.8Ghz. What I do know is that ZooStorm laptops get good write-ups... well last I checked they did.

If you have a look at various review sites like TrustedReviews - The UKs premier source of Technology News and Reviews then it should start to become clear which laptop to get.

Basically with laptops I'd forget the specs they list and just go by the reviews and comparisons. So much is not listed in a laptops spec it makes it next to useless as a true guide to their performance.

Oh and this goes double for laptops, read the tweakguides, follow the steps, avoid Norton at all costs and install as little as you can comfortably. Laptops seem to attract random rubbish like a magnet (well my ESTP's does anyway) and it kills their performance as the transfer speeds on a laptop are often much lower than a desktop.

Right---Took short break to look at Nvidia's tech specs as compared to ATi's--- it looks like the 8800M is a nice piece of kit (I know top spec.. still it's tasty) 256bit memory access as opposed to ATI's paltry 128bit means the Nvidia should run the ATI's legs off but it looks like once the ATI has the information it runs faster and harder than the Nvidia. Those puppies are going to need comparative reviews to sort them out!

That help some?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

A Dell XPS 1530 with a few choice upgrades (like a 1920x1200 display) would probably do very well. Mind you though I just got to 930 quid being "conservative"

Oh and it seems that notebook is a good base model to benchmark against. Trusted reviews like it.

MBTI
    INFP

*waits patiently*

(Btw, J3. Have you chosen a motherboard yet?)
    No. You guys have scared the hell out of me.