• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Computer-construction tips please!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Vidcard wise it's a Tri-Crossfire setup, you could go for a Dual-Crossfire in which case I'd suggest the single 3870X2 as it leaves room for future expansion, or ditch the 3870 and get a second 3870X2 for a Quad-Crossfire setup.
I didn't know you could do that... I'd forgotten that you could mix and match with crossfire... Ooo... actually nah. It's taken me long enough. The missus would kill me if I declared I wanted to disassemble my water cooling and make my PC even more complex! ;)

A nice idea for the future though.

Oh and I've got the G15.. not that impressed. The Saitek keyboards have better keys and I find the LCD not very usable. If you check out the Pertelian X2040 I think that's a much better solution.. if a little more geeky :whistling:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I didn't know you could do that... I'd forgotten that you could mix and match with crossfire... Ooo... actually nah. It's taken me long enough. The missus would kill me if I declared I wanted to disassemble my water cooling and make my PC even more complex! ;)

A nice idea for the future though.

I've been tempted to grab an 3870X2 myself, especially since there was a sale here recently where I could have had one for $390cdn($100 off). Tho I'm in the same situation as you where I'd have to redo my water cooling system.. One of these days tho I'll have to upgrade this x1900XT crossfire setup..

Oh and I've got the G15.. not that impressed. The Saitek keyboards have better keys and I find the LCD not very usable. If you check out the Pertelian X2040 I think that's a much better solution.. if a little more geeky :whistling:

As I said keyboards are more personal preference. I didn't like the first version of the Saitek when it came out either, haven't looked at them since, I'll check them out again tho when my G15 dies. I do use the LCD on mine quite a bit at times so :)

As for the Pertelian.. I almost came home with a 2bay LCD screen the other day.. I was going to mount it below the 2bay DD reservoir I have :tongue:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've been tempted to grab an 3870X2 myself, especially since there was a sale here recently where I could have had one for $390cdn($100 off). Tho I'm in the same situation as you where I'd have to redo my water cooling system.. One of these days tho I'll have to upgrade this x1900XT crossfire setup..
I've soaked a few parts though with a leak on the CPU block :blush: Changing the cooling unnerves me... Cost me a fortune to replace the motherboard and CPU (the most likely candidates) only to find out it was the PSU :steam:
As I said keyboards are more personal preference. I didn't like the first version of the Saitek when it came out either, haven't looked at them since, I'll check them out again tho when my G15 dies. I do use the LCD on mine quite a bit at times so :)
The old one does look nice. I just don't get on with how clacky the keys are. When my mate types I can hear him downstairs!!
As for the Pertelian.. I almost came home with a 2bay LCD screen the other day.. I was going to mount it below the 2bay DD reservoir I have :tongue:
Almost? What stopped you? Aren't you geek enough? :devil:

I do like those DD reservoirs. I ended up getting the XSPC single bay. Mainly because it's supposed to get out those annoying little bubbles but also DD stuff is harder to come by over here. For some reason everyone is obsessed with the metric stuff from Germany. I managed to scrape 1/2" all round by the skin of my teeth.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I've soaked a few parts though with a leak on the CPU block :blush: Changing the cooling unnerves me... Cost me a fortune to replace the motherboard and CPU (the most likely candidates) only to find out it was the PSU :steam:

At first I was wonderin how a CPU block could have gotten coolant on anything, then I remembered that my case (Silverstone TJ06) mounts the motherboard BTX style so it's at the bottom and not on the top where it'd leak down on everything, just leaks to the bottom of the case.. I guess in the future remember that the coolant/distilled water is dielectric? :tongue:

I like my external radiator setup for fluid changes etc.. A lot less messy and no worries of anything getting inside the case ;)

The old one does look nice. I just don't get on with how clacky the keys are. When my mate types I can hear him downstairs!!

Yeah key feel is probably the most important thing to me after layout. I don't like overly loud keys, nor do I like keys that feel like you have to pound them with a sledge to get them to engage.

Layout wise I don't like how the new "style" changes the Ins/Home/PgUp/PgDn/Del/End keys.. Since I use the arrow keys for games and not the WASD control scheme so those 6 are usually weapon selection keys for me.

Almost? What stopped you? Aren't you geek enough? :devil:

lol.. It's a matter of priorities really, I'm moving at some point in the near future so I should really be saving my cash for that instead of spending $200 on an LCD screen to show off my inner geek.

I do like those DD reservoirs. I ended up getting the XSPC single bay. Mainly because it's supposed to get out those annoying little bubbles but also DD stuff is harder to come by over here. For some reason everyone is obsessed with the metric stuff from Germany. I managed to scrape 1/2" all round by the skin of my teeth.

The 2bay one I have removes the bubbles as well. Sucks about the rarity of DD stuff over there :( I agree with you tho, a lot of the premade kits all used 3/8"(10mm) so I did my own custom setup since I preferred 1/2"(13mm).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
At first I was wonderin how a CPU block could have gotten coolant on anything, then I remembered that my case (Silverstone TJ06) mounts the motherboard BTX style so it's at the bottom and not on the top where it'd leak down on everything, just leaks to the bottom of the case.. I guess in the future remember that the coolant/distilled water is dielectric? :tongue:
You have a Temjin? You truly are a rich kitty!!

Mine's ATX and the PSU is behind the motherboard. The way I managed it is one of the pipes popped of the CPU cooler... :blush: Lot's of water... Oh and the water isn't conductive remember... it's the particles suspended in it. Hence pure water doesn't conduct. Of course how you can keep the water pure when it spills onto electrical components which have dust and other conductive particles on them is beyond me :doh:
I like my external radiator setup for fluid changes etc.. A lot less messy and no worries of anything getting inside the case ;)
Hang on. You've got a double res but an external rad... what's the point of the reservoir? You could have just got a t-line. GEEK!!!
Yeah key feel is probably the most important thing to me after layout. I don't like overly loud keys, nor do I like keys that feel like you have to pound them with a sledge to get them to engage.
Exactly. I actually love the M$ 6000 for the key feel. It's great. Very comfy. Mind you after a little MSN last night I can live with the G15. It's only loud when you're not used to typing on it lots. I soon got used to it... not sure if that's a good thing mind you.
Layout wise I don't like how the new "style" changes the Ins/Home/PgUp/PgDn/Del/End keys.. Since I use the arrow keys for games and not the WASD control scheme so those 6 are usually weapon selection keys for me.
Is kitty a southpaw? You could always get a gamepad.. not like a console thing but one of those button jobbies for your non mouse hand.
lol.. It's a matter of priorities really, I'm moving at some point in the near future so I should really be saving my cash for that instead of spending $200 on an LCD screen to show off my inner geek.
Ah.. castle first... then work out entertainment. Admirable but you know it's ultimately boring right :devil:
The 2bay one I have removes the bubbles as well. Sucks about the rarity of DD stuff over there :( I agree with you tho, a lot of the premade kits all used 3/8"(10mm) so I did my own custom setup since I preferred 1/2"(13mm).
Yeah but 3/8" ain't 10mm and neither is 1/2" 13mm. You get all crossed up with barbs and such. My friend has a "poly-piping" system and he's got more elbows and connectors than my central heating!

I stuck with 1/2" all the way... I like simple... not. Could have just stuck with air after all :D

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
You have a Temjin? You truly are a rich kitty!!
Yes I do.. and no I'm not.. The fact I do is pretty much why.. :devil:
Mine's ATX and the PSU is behind the motherboard. The way I managed it is one of the pipes popped of the CPU cooler... :blush: Lot's of water... Oh and the water isn't conductive remember... it's the particles suspended in it. Hence pure water doesn't conduct.
Hose clamps work wonders ;)
Of course how you can keep the water pure when it spills onto electrical components which have dust and other conductive particles on them is beyond me :doh:
It's called dusting.. You know can of compressed air every now and then to clean out the inside of your case? :tongue:

A couple years back when this PC was a lowly Athlon XP in a normal ATX case I came home to the basement apartment I was in to find my apartment under 8" of water (The city storm drains had backed up into the basement). My PC was sitting there happily running away even tho it was upto the 2nd PCI slot in water. I lost a hard drive, but that was it.
Hang on. You've got a double res but an external rad... what's the point of the reservoir? You could have just got a t-line. GEEK!!!
Yes.. It's also light by blue LED's from underneath :D Thats another reason I like my G15.. It fits the black and blue colour theme I have going :tongue:
Is kitty a southpaw? You could always get a gamepad.. not like a console thing but one of those button jobbies for your non mouse hand.
Like the Wolf Claw? I'm not a southpaw tho, just used to using the arrow keys from way back in the early 90's. Tho I do use WASD for COD4.
Ah.. castle first... then work out entertainment. Admirable but you know it's ultimately boring right :devil:
Hey, it's hard enough to put the castle first.. I don't need any peer pressure thanks :doh:
Yeah but 3/8" ain't 10mm and neither is 1/2" 13mm. You get all crossed up with barbs and such. My friend has a "poly-piping" system and he's got more elbows and connectors than my central heating!

I stuck with 1/2" all the way... I like simple... not. Could have just stuck with air after all :D
Yeah yeah.. I know 1/2" is actually 12.7mm.. :rolleyes:

Air is boring.. :devil:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes I do.. and no I'm not.. The fact I do is pretty much why.. :devil:
Thought it might be that :D
Hose clamps work wonders ;)
Yeah it did once I'd got some hand cream on them. Damn barbs were so close together you'd have thought I couldn't fit one on... now I have one on each.
It's called dusting.. You know can of compressed air every now and then to clean out the inside of your case? :tongue:
Dusting??? It's water cooled!! Plus I have filters Anyhow that's not going to stop dust. It's mostly for concourse condition stuff as far as I can tell.
A couple years back when this PC was a lowly Athlon XP in a normal ATX case I came home to the basement apartment I was in to find my apartment under 8" of water (The city storm drains had backed up into the basement). My PC was sitting there happily running away even tho it was upto the 2nd PCI slot in water. I lost a hard drive, but that was it.
*mutters what sound like uncouth words under breath* Well aren't you the lucky one *mutters what sounds like something else derogatory*
:)

(I presume your PSU was above the water line? Mine got a direct hit..)

Yes.. It's also light by blue LED's from underneath :D Thats another reason I like my G15.. It fits the black and blue colour theme I have going :tongue:
Oh you'll love the new one then. Time for an LED change... to orange!!
Like the Wolf Claw? I'm not a southpaw tho, just used to using the arrow keys from way back in the early 90's. Tho I do use WASD for COD4.
I liked the old one that Saitek did (game commander or something). I've not found a decent one since.

Why only WSAD for COD4?
Hey, it's hard enough to put the castle first.. I don't need any peer pressure thanks :doh:
Peer? Aww :hug:

Just think of trying to have a brilliant computer in a shabby case... now think of having a brilliant computer in a nice case but in a shabby house... See, logical :D

Least that's how I reason my decision....oh if only I could have spent it all on a PC... I'd be broke and homeless but I'd be happy.... and probably frustrated at the lack of facilities like power sockets!!
Yeah yeah.. I know 1/2" is actually 12.7mm.. :rolleyes:
I work in engineering. To them 0.3mm is a yard. It didn't occur that it's well within the scope of the tubes till after I'd posted :blush:
Air is boring.. :devil:
Ah it depends how quickly it's going past you :D

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Yeah it did once I'd got some hand cream on them. Damn barbs were so close together you'd have thought I couldn't fit one on... now I have one on each.

Dusting??? It's water cooled!! Plus I have filters Anyhow that's not going to stop dust. It's mostly for concourse condition stuff as far as I can tell.

Hand cream?.. I so don't wanna know.. :D

Water cooling does the main components, but not all of them.. Unless you switch over to oil immersion...

*mutters what sound like uncouth words under breath* Well aren't you the lucky one *mutters what sounds like something else derogatory*
:)
Jealous? :devil:

(I presume your PSU was above the water line? Mine got a direct hit..)
Yes it was thankfully..

Oh you'll love the new one then. Time for an LED change... to orange!!
Err.. NO!..

If anything I'd just rip the keyboard apart like I did my DVD burner and change the LED's in it to blue. I got a spare G15 that I spilt beer in that can be used as a donor for blue LED's...

Why only WSAD for COD4?
I dunno.. I think it was cuz COD4 was givin me issues with my normal key mapping that I gave upa nd learned to use WASD with it.
Peer? Aww :hug:

Just think of trying to have a brilliant computer in a shabby case... now think of having a brilliant computer in a nice case but in a shabby house... See, logical :D

Least that's how I reason my decision....oh if only I could have spent it all on a PC... I'd be broke and homeless but I'd be happy.... and probably frustrated at the lack of facilities like power sockets!!
It's like the saying that gets passed around in my Car Club.. "You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house"

Which is another source of income draining.. Messin with my car.. I even bought a laptop just to mess with it's computer :tongue:

And yeah.. when it comes to messin with PC's like this, I'd consider you a peer.
I work in engineering. To them 0.3mm is a yard. It didn't occur that it's well within the scope of the tubes till after I'd posted :blush:
Yes I'm well aware of engineering tolerances with certain things.. if the stuff was threaded then I'd be more worried about 1/2" vs 13mm but it's not so just clamp it tighter :tongue:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hand cream?.. I so don't wanna know.. :D
I was all out of KY okay.
Water cooling does the main components, but not all of them.. Unless you switch over to oil immersion...
Oh I did consider that. I'd love to do the fish tank routine and section it so I could have fish next to it :D

That'd confuse a few visitors... and probably the cat!
No...

DIE!!!

Yes it was thankfully..
DIE!!!

Err.. NO!..
A strangely appropriate response to a statement only just made... out of context and yet right back in....
If anything I'd just rip the keyboard apart like I did my DVD burner and change the LED's in it to blue. I got a spare G15 that I spilt beer in that can be used as a donor for blue LED's...
Didn't think of that. Mind you though I'd love to see you convert the LCD to blue :tongue10:

Personally I don't really mind. I have a Cyber Snipa mouse now and that glows all kinda of funny colours (I'm not sure I like it yet so the missus may end up with that one and I'll have my Logitech back).
I dunno.. I think it was cuz COD4 was givin me issues with my normal key mapping that I gave up and learned to use WASD with it.
Oh I hate those kind of holes. I'm having the problem at the moment where I can be chatting using a headset but load up battlefield2142 and the mic shuts off. It's still registered as on but there's no sound and the in game VOIP won't work either.... Most frustrating.
It's like the saying that gets passed around in my Car Club.. "You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house"

Which is another source of income draining.. Messin with my car.. I even bought a laptop just to mess with it's computer :tongue:
Okay two questions, firstly what's your name at Xtreme systems and secondly are you single?

:D
And yeah.. when it comes to messin with PC's like this, I'd consider you a peer.
Oh I don't know about that. Me thinks you're being kind on the similar ability score. I still can't overclock worth a damn.
Yes I'm well aware of engineering tolerances with certain things.. if the stuff was threaded then I'd be more worried about 1/2" vs 13mm but it's not so just clamp it tighter :tongue:
Brute force and ignorance is an oft overlooked and underestimate problem solving approach ;)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Suddenly, out of nowhere, the monster appeared....Attack of the Multi-quotes, coming to a theater near you sometime soon. :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
:popc1:
*waits patiently*

(Btw, J3. Have you chosen a motherboard yet?)

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I was all out of KY okay.
TMI! :tongue:
Oh I did consider that. I'd love to do the fish tank routine and section it so I could have fish next to it :D

That'd confuse a few visitors... and probably the cat!
If you do that.. just make sure you get tropical fish that require warmer water. Unless you cat likes fish sticks.
No...

DIE!!!

DIE!!!

A strangely appropriate response to a statement only just made... out of context and yet right back in....
:rofl1:
Didn't think of that. Mind you though I'd love to see you convert the LCD to blue :tongue10:

Personally I don't really mind. I have a Cyber Snipa mouse now and that glows all kinda of funny colours (I'm not sure I like it yet so the missus may end up with that one and I'll have my Logitech back).
The LCD is probably the same specs as the old one, I don't see them deviating too far beyond just colour since they'd have to change drivers etc.. So I'm assuming I could possibly just swap panels as well... That is if it requires more then just swapping out the backlight. :thinking:

I have two G7's.. They had to go and change the colour scheme on them to one that better suits the rest of my PC :(
Oh I hate those kind of holes. I'm having the problem at the moment where I can be chatting using a headset but load up battlefield2142 and the mic shuts off. It's still registered as on but there's no sound and the in game VOIP won't work either.... Most frustrating.
You're using Vista :tongue: Common issue.
Okay two questions, firstly what's your name at Xtreme systems and secondly are you single?

Not a member there.. And unfortunately yes..
Oh I don't know about that. Me thinks you're being kind on the similar ability score. I still can't overclock worth a damn.
Meh I don't take overclocking to the extremes either, You won't find me spending hours messing with settings just to get that last 1mhz OC stable.
Brute force and ignorance is an oft overlooked and underestimate problem solving approach ;)

Hammer, ducT tape, & WD-40.. all you need in life :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well you did ask.

Btw, what precisely are you trying to do with that tongue?
If you do that.. just make sure you get tropical fish that require warmer water. Unless you cat likes fish sticks.
It'd eat them. The darn thing doesn't shy from curry so I doubt some par boiled fish would put her off.
The LCD is probably the same specs as the old one, I don't see them deviating too far beyond just colour since they'd have to change drivers etc.. So I'm assuming I could possibly just swap panels as well... That is if it requires more then just swapping out the backlight. :thinking:

I have two G7's.. They had to go and change the colour scheme on them to one that better suits the rest of my PC :(
Nope. It's a new smaller screen.

Welcome to "advancement" ;)
You're using Vista :tongue: Common issue.
Actually I'm on XP64 at the moment. I gave up on Vista when it refused to install XAMPP. I'm hoping to learn some of this PHP/ Dreamweaver stuff so Vista got the boot.
Not a member there.. And unfortunately yes..
You should be, it'd be a classic "one of us, one of us" moment.

As for the other...I'll be over with a bunch of roses shortly :wub:
Meh I don't take overclocking to the extremes either, You won't find me spending hours messing with settings just to get that last 1mhz OC stable.
Trying to raise my memory from 800 to 900mhz is pain enough and that's supposed to be fairly easy.

Mind you whilst I think about it I think I got thrown by Vista's stability monitor. It picked up more "hard" faults with them overclocked but now I find out that "hard" faults isn't hardware but the darn page file!! Bloody M$ and their "They'll know what we mean... it's obvious isn't it?" philosophy.
Hammer, ducT tape, & WD-40.. all you need in life :D
You forgot the laxatives.
Three tools for life laxatives, WD40 and duct tape.
You know the last two I guess. The laxative is a cough solution. Take the laxatives and you'll be too worried to cough hence solving the problem :D

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Btw, what precisely are you trying to do with that tongue?
It's a surprise ;)
It'd eat them. The darn thing doesn't shy from curry so I doubt some par boiled fish would put her off.
So basically the kitty says bring on the self cooking fish tank.
Actually I'm on XP64 at the moment. I gave up on Vista when it refused to install XAMPP. I'm hoping to learn some of this PHP/ Dreamweaver stuff so Vista got the boot.
Ah. I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit DVD sittin here, I've yet to install it tho since I know most of the software I have won't work under Vista.

Good luck on the PHP through Dreamweaver stuff :)
You should be, it'd be a classic "one of us, one of us" moment.

As for the other...I'll be over with a bunch of roses shortly :wub:
Maybe one of these day's I'll join, but my PC is pretty out dated by "enthusiasts" standards..

And you had better get rid of the wife before you do.. I won't be someone's plaything on the side :steam:
Trying to raise my memory from 800 to 900mhz is pain enough and that's supposed to be fairly easy.

Mind you whilst I think about it I think I got thrown by Vista's stability monitor. It picked up more "hard" faults with them overclocked but now I find out that "hard" faults isn't hardware but the darn page file!! Bloody M$ and their "They'll know what we mean... it's obvious isn't it?" philosophy.
well, you're not using Vista anymore so you have no excuse anymore.. Get to it.
You forgot the laxatives.
Three tools for life laxatives, WD40 and duct tape.
You know the last two I guess. The laxative is a cough solution. Take the laxatives and you'll be too worried to cough hence solving the problem :D

lol

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It's a surprise ;)
Okaay :shock: :huh:

So basically the kitty says bring on the self cooking fish tank.
Knowing our cat it's more along the lines of "where's the hot sauce?" :D
Ah. I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit DVD sittin here, I've yet to install it tho since I know most of the software I have won't work under Vista.
Check out the tweakguide at TweakGuides.com before you install!! Vista is very nice but it also caused me a lot of hours spent trying to get it to work as I wanted it.
Good luck on the PHP through Dreamweaver stuff :)
Well I may have an alternative. A job which I've seen advertised which could be perfect with no additional training...

If that goes right I could be looking at one of these
ru_dax_01.jpg

Maybe one of these day's I'll join, but my PC is pretty out dated by "enthusiasts" standards..
Well get yourself Linux and a beard and it'll be hot stuff once again ;)
And you had better get rid of the wife before you do.. I won't be someone's plaything on the side :steam:
Sorry what kin of car did you say you had? ;)
well, you're not using Vista anymore so you have no excuse anymore.. Get to it.
I've started checking out Dreamweaver.. I'm just concerned that I'm not detail orientated enough for programming.
Oh my favourite piece of advice was
"Avoid cutting yourself whilst slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold while you chop."

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
If I can jump in here...

I want a notebook for NWN2 - both playing at 1080p and also designing areas in the toolset. I'd love all the bells and whistles turned on - which at the moment my old desktop (X1950 graphics card) is struggling to do.

So what do I need?

(I'm not exactly budget limited, but I don't want cost for the sake of it. Let's say GBP 850)

My main.. hmm.. confusion is whether to go with mobile 8800 or one of the new radeon mobile chips. Is there a big difference between them? I know either way, the graphics card is probably more important than the processor.. as long as it's a dual core of some sort, for this sort of game?

Oh yes, I guess I'd like a Blu-ray drive. Hmm... and I like playing stuff like lego star wars, call of duty just for idle fun. Please note the laptop will be mostly used as an entertainment PC, left plugged into my 1080p 37" Toshiba LCD tv - I just need to be able to take it away when I want to (so the screen size and quality of the actual laptop is less important...)

Many thanks!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
If I can jump in here...

I want a notebook for NWN2 - both playing at 1080p and also designing areas in the toolset. I'd love all the bells and whistles turned on - which at the moment my old desktop (X1950 graphics card) is struggling to do.

So what do I need?

(I'm not exactly budget limited, but I don't want cost for the sake of it. Let's say GBP 850)

My main.. hmm.. confusion is whether to go with mobile 8800 or one of the new radeon mobile chips. Is there a big difference between them? I know either way, the graphics card is probably more important than the processor.. as long as it's a dual core of some sort, for this sort of game?

Oh yes, I guess I'd like a Blu-ray drive. Hmm... and I like playing stuff like lego star wars, call of duty just for idle fun. Please note the laptop will be mostly used as an entertainment PC, left plugged into my 1080p 37" Toshiba LCD tv - I just need to be able to take it away when I want to (so the screen size and quality of the actual laptop is less important...)

Many thanks!
Laptop's hmmm :thinking: Not so hot on those.

Generally ATi produces nicer frames but Nvidia shoves more out... I think laptop wise Nvidia has it with the mobile 8800s but I'm not sure as I haven't checked on ATi's current offering.

Presumably you tend to get ATi's with AMD cores and Intel's with Nvidia.. You see I'd reckon that NWN2 is more processor intensive than a FPS game because it's slower and involves more in the way of a database behind it. I'd think that for the best performance you'd best check out the reviews of the various laptops themselves. Reason being is that where you'll lose or gain is based on the motherboard, memory and bus systems... as you can't buy laptop boards very easily the information on them is harder to obtain and so you're pretty much in the dark as to if this HP2.1Ghz is actually faster than that Acer 1.8Ghz. What I do know is that ZooStorm laptops get good write-ups... well last I checked they did.

If you have a look at various review sites like TrustedReviews - The UKs premier source of Technology News and Reviews then it should start to become clear which laptop to get.

Basically with laptops I'd forget the specs they list and just go by the reviews and comparisons. So much is not listed in a laptops spec it makes it next to useless as a true guide to their performance.

Oh and this goes double for laptops, read the tweakguides, follow the steps, avoid Norton at all costs and install as little as you can comfortably. Laptops seem to attract random rubbish like a magnet (well my ESTP's does anyway) and it kills their performance as the transfer speeds on a laptop are often much lower than a desktop.

Right---Took short break to look at Nvidia's tech specs as compared to ATi's--- it looks like the 8800M is a nice piece of kit (I know top spec.. still it's tasty) 256bit memory access as opposed to ATI's paltry 128bit means the Nvidia should run the ATI's legs off but it looks like once the ATI has the information it runs faster and harder than the Nvidia. Those puppies are going to need comparative reviews to sort them out!

That help some?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A Dell XPS 1530 with a few choice upgrades (like a 1920x1200 display) would probably do very well. Mind you though I just got to 930 quid being "conservative" :D

Oh and it seems that notebook is a good base model to benchmark against. Trusted reviews like it.