User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It is true that all the PSUs are the same. Some don't even have the switch..

Oh and as I've found out recently... you don't really need all that much power. With a quad core system with three hard drives, a DVD and a Radeon 3870x2 running in game my zalman monitor thingy says I use just a little over 300W! I'm wondering what people are running to use those monsterous 1200W PSUs...
    I think 3x GTX 280 (SLI) is what 1200W PSUs are for. Dunno if 1000W is quite enough, from what I've read.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm 5 boxing WoW atm.

It means I have 5 bought accounts of World of Warcraft, each of which allows a one concurrent character per copy of the game. There is software which allows to manage multiple characters at once, but I've hit some performance issues.

I've got athlon 2.2ghz with radeon 9800 atm, and it can smoothly run 2 instances of the game at nice settings, but at 3 instances, not all of them run smooth.

Another machine is a lowly 1.7ghz running at 1.1ghz (only lvl it's stable), and it can only handle 1 game instance smoothly, and 2 when forced - but at bad response speed.

So I need a cheap machine capable of running 3 game instances smoothly, and the cheapest one I've found (new) is about 470e. Vista with 2core processor and 2g ram, some video card I don't remember.

Another chance is to buy a used 2.7ghz machine with 120e and run 2 game instances with it, 1 with 1.1g and 2 with my 2.2. Oh the power consumption

My main unknow issue is how to handle multi-graphics processes. I know all about CPU multitasking. But 3 graphics-intensive processes take on GPU resources as well, and GPU's aren't designed to be part of a multitasking system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I think 3x GTX 280 (SLI) is what 1200W PSUs are for. Dunno if 1000W is quite enough, from what I've read.
    I'd have thought that such is reason enough to avoid such a build. Think of the heat generated!!! Forget that without watercooling!!! You'd be building the world's most expensive space heater!!!

Santtu,
    I've no idea quite what you're on about... You're running 3 games silmultaneously??? I'd have thought that the one being displayed would use the graphics and the others would just use the cpu. Aside from that... no idea. Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a dual graphics card system with two monitors and just get a laptop for the third?

Personally I'm an FPS man so playing more than one game at a time is a foreign concept to me.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Personally I'm an FPS man so playing more than one game at a time is a foreign concept to me.
    He's talking WoW. I haven't played it, but I've played text-based MUDs where having your own instant-party (eg fighter, cleric, mage) would be a good thing. You don't have to co-ordinate with other players, or surrender loot to anyone else. You can do far harder zones than you could solo. I'm guessing he would have three games of WoW running with from the CPU each character up on a different screen. Or 5. Whatever.

I know some new graphics cards have problems when you're running more than one monitor, but I can't remember which.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

He's talking WoW. I haven't played it, but I've played text-based MUDs where having your own instant-party (eg fighter, cleric, mage) would be a good thing. You don't have to co-ordinate with other players, or surrender loot to anyone else. You can do far harder zones than you could solo. I'm guessing he would have three games of WoW running with from the CPU each character up on a different screen. Or 5. Whatever.

I know some new graphics cards have problems when you're running more than one monitor, but I can't remember which.
    Oh a multi monitor setup is easy... Any of the cards which use two DVI outputs should do you but I'd reckon the easiest solution is a couple of ATIs in crossfire and ultramon. That way you should be able to connect a different monitor to each output and then use ultramon to assign each output to a different screen.

I'd have thought you'd want a whole lot more than 2gb though with Vista. I found that if you get Vista 64 then getting 8Gb of memory is not difficult to achieve, though the FSB speeds aren't that good really.

MBTI
    INFP

Oh and speaking of ATIs, I've heard that quad-crossfire with 4870X2 doesn't work very well. So basically it's a single-card solution. I dunno if that's true, so might have to wait until the retail release with "finished" drivers and the reviews go up.

TOO MUCH WAITING

MBTI
    N358

When you build your next computer, use this case. Or something cooler. Either is good by me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Oh and speaking of ATIs, I've heard that quad-crossfire with 4870X2 doesn't work very well. So basically it's a single-card solution. I dunno if that's true, so might have to wait until the retail release with "finished" drivers and the reviews go up.

TOO MUCH WAITING
    Jeez you're a nervous type of person aren't you. Just go get one and add another if the first proves insufficient. One of those should run Fallout3. Hell it'd run Crysis and that's a hard game to run!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    When you build your next computer, use this case. Or something cooler. Either is good by me.
    That'd be a swine to upgrade

Personally I'm happy with my Cosmos S. I only had to make one small incision to fit a second radiator internally.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You'll have to bear with my newbness here. Does that mean all cpu coolers (aftermarket) come with cpu heatsinks attached? Or do you have to have a heatsink already in place to attach your cooler to?

In other words, if I choose to buy an OEM CPU with no heat-sink or stock cooler, will any cooler I buy for it come with the necessary heat-sink attached? Would that be all I'd need to replicate a retail CPU?
    Did you buy anything yet? I'll sort you out.

Get all your parts from Newegg. These days, you can't find stuff noticeably cheaper.

Build it yourself. It's easier than you think unless you have parkinson's and jam a screwdriver through the motherboard. The forums at AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news ...everythingyou'll need for knowing.

Get Windows XP or Linux. Everyone knows Vista=Mac=Teh Suck

At Newegg you should be able to tell what comes with what and what doesn't. Like heatsinks. Make sure everything you buy is for everything else. i.e. "Socket XXX" cpu and motherboard and heatsink, all matching. Installing heatsinks is pretty easy, just drop a bead of Ceramique (arctic silver brand thermal paste, non-conductive) on the processor's heat spreader and clamp the sink on. done.

NVidia video cards. For Fallout3, I'd get the one that costs $200-$300 when the game comes out.

These days for CPU, Intel dual core (I still have AMD single overclocked). Get a motherboard suggestion from Anandtech (depends if you're overclocking, probably you aren't).

Get a case you like (Find out if it has space for video card you want), fans to match the holes, and a Seasonic 500+watt PSU.

DVD R/W, IDE Master, Cable Select jumper (use the cable came with mobo)

Hard disk, SATA's good, 500Gb good. Seagate good.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    My main unknow issue is how to handle multi-graphics processes. I know all about CPU multitasking. But 3 graphics-intensive processes take on GPU resources as well, and GPU's aren't designed to be part of a multitasking system.
    You really need a multi core GPU system... but looking at the processors you are considering, you probably don't have the resources for a decent pci express x16 option... which is a shame as (xander will correct if i'm wrong) if you got 2 cards that had 2 gpu's on them, (like mine, it is one card that is actually two put together to work as one) if you got two of them and put them in a system with two pci x16 slots and didn't SLI them, you could run four monitors in dedicated mode (1 gpu each) and each gpu should knock your old radeon 9800 into a dustbin...