User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Where?
    Just on my trusty old hard drive
    They've outdated, as I haven't thought of buying anything new in over more than a year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Yep. I've gotten over my initial outrage and come to the same conclusion thousands of other Aussie gamers have no-doubt arrived at: ebay. Fuck the censors.

In other computer-component news, I'd basically decided to suspend my sanity and go the route of 2 gtx280s in SLI, which seemed to make my choice of motherboards clear. Then I read this review of the 4870x2. On the one hand, I'm a bit wary since most of their excitement for the card seems to derive from it being a lot better than the gtx280 in just one game (Age of Conan). Plus, it isn't even out yet. On the other hand, those are impressive results.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

There's a price war out there on graphics cards. Choose your timing wisely Monkey or you'll regret reaching for your wallet at speed.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    There's a price war out there on graphics cards. Choose your timing wisely Monkey or you'll regret reaching for your wallet at speed.
    I'm seeing it. Gtx 280s have dropped $150 in about 2 weeks. It's a thing of beauty. Balanced against that price-war though is the fact that the Aussie dollar is actually pretty strong atm - approximately equivalent to the US dollar for the first time I can ever remember. Which is bad for an export-based economy like Australia's. So the government and those in charge will doubtless take it upon themselves to devalue it as soon as they can. I think it's pretty much peaked. Which means my dollar will soon buy less. I guess I'll buy all the other components and hold off on the vid card. Oh and btw, which motherboard would you recommend for ATI? I seem to recall you recommended one somewhere, but I can't find the bastard.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I did point towards the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 but that's DDR2. If you wanted DDR3 then either the X38T-DQ6 or even better the X48-DQ6. I reckon they're about the most reliable board I've had so far... and I'm quite..err... "testing" on motherboards

(I think I've broken one from each manufacturer so far aside from Abit... never had an Abit.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    or even better the X48-DQ6.
    That's DDR2 as well, or so the reviews tell me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

That's DDR2 as well, or so the reviews tell me.
    Sorry you probably have to look for X48T then.

MBTI
    INFP

So I'm looking at buying an OEM CPU since I can get them for roughly $300 cheaper than retail versions. Is this sheer lunacy? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I understand that the main difference (price aside) is that it doesn't arrive with the stock cooler or the manufacturer's warranty. The stock cooler I would replace anyway. I dunno how important the warranty is though. From what I hear, CPUs don't fail that often.

Oh, and it wouldn't come with the heatsink. Are they necessary? I can't seem to locate them in my fav. online computer stores.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

So I'm looking at buying an OEM CPU since I can get them for roughly $300 cheaper than retail versions. Is this sheer lunacy? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I understand that the main difference (price aside) is that it doesn't arrive with the stock cooler or the manufacturer's warranty. The stock cooler I would replace anyway. I dunno how important the warranty is though. From what I hear, CPUs don't fail that often.

Oh, and it wouldn't come with the heatsink. Are they necessary? I can't seem to locate them in my fav. online computer stores.
    Most heatsinks come with fans attached these days, and that set up has actually gone from nice to have to with out it you get to watch your CPU melt. That is unless you have access to large quantities of liquid nitrogen you can poor on the CPU all the time, ^_^.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Most heatsinks come with fans attached these days
    You'll have to bear with my newbness here. Does that mean all cpu coolers (aftermarket) come with cpu heatsinks attached? Or do you have to have a heatsink already in place to attach your cooler to?

In other words, if I choose to buy an OEM CPU with no heat-sink or stock cooler, will any cooler I buy for it come with the necessary heat-sink attached? Would that be all I'd need to replicate a retail CPU?