User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Oh, cool. It took me a while to read the link because it sounded like another one of those pipe-dream ideas that tend to get hyped and linked on Slashdot with no follow up. Having raw materials to work with in space without having to fight the gravity well would be a *huge* step.

EDIT: Yeah, I groaned when I heard the word unobtanium in that Avatar movie. It has been in long usage to criticize sloppy stories in the Sci Fi community.

EDIT again: I'm curious as to what exactly they are going to use for thrust to move these asteroids.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Asteroids are mostly made of iron. And since the Earth has enough iron in it to last us millions of years, it's fairly obvious that these billionaires are mining for precious metals.

My other mechanic, who is apparently an ENTP, has been joking about unobtanium for at least 20 years. So I was disappointed to see that unoriginal term used not as a joke in a serious motion picture. But then the entire movie was unoriginal, and kind of a joke in its own right, so it wasn't a real surprise.
    This one time at band camp we were talking about things that are difficult to obtain like notes and violin solos and virginal sacrifices culled from Las Vegas' populace, and we started envisioning what it would take to mine an asteroid. And then we started talking about how much fun it would be if one of the asteroids was "mine" and I was going to "mine" it and how perhaps I didn't "mined" if others also mined it.

Good times.

Actually scratch all of the above. I was playing WoW and healing a dungeon run where a guy asked if it was ok if he grabbed an ore node and I said "I don't mined." My friend that I was playing with slapped my character as he should.

True story.

The End.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    This one time at band camp we were talking about things that are difficult to obtain like notes and violin solos and virginal sacrifices culled from Las Vegas' populace, and we started envisioning what it would take to mine an asteroid. And then we started talking about how much fun it would be if one of the asteroids was "mine" and I was going to "mine" it and how perhaps I didn't "mined" if others also mined it.

Good times.

Actually scratch all of the above. I was playing WoW and healing a dungeon run where a guy asked if it was ok if he grabbed an ore node and I said "I don't mined." My friend that I was playing with slapped my character as he should.

True story.

The End.
    WoW.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”