• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Car Thread

Mole

Permabanned
I was talking to Australia's leading Marxist historian, Humphrey McQueen, the other day about cars. And inevitably Toad's fascination with cars came up.

Humphrey explained to me that Toad represented the old landed English aristocracy, and the car represented the industrial revolution, and naturally there was a collision between the car and the aristocracy leaving poor Mr Toad, Squire Toad, in a hideous English jail.

It came as a great shock to me to hear this Marxist interpretation of, Wind in the Willows, and worse to find my sympathies lay with the aristocratic Toad, rather than the revolutionary Weasels, Stoats, and Ferrets.

I felt my world was turned upside down, all by the motor car.

far behind them they heard a faint warning hum, like the drone of a distant bee. Glancing back, they saw a small cloud of dust, with a dark centre of energy, advancing on them at incredible speed, while from out the dust a faint ‘Pooppoop!’ wailed like an uneasy animal in pain. Hardly regarding it, they turned to resume their conversation, when in an instant (as it seemed) the peaceful scene was changed, and with a blast of wind and a whirl of sound that made them jump for the nearest ditch, It was on them! The ‘Poop-poop’ rang with a brazen shout in their ears, they had a moment’s glimpse of an interior of glittering plate-glass and rich morocco and the magnificent motor-car, immense, breath-snatching, passionate, with its pilot tense and hugging his wheel, possessed all earth and air for the fraction of a second, flung an enveloping cloud of dust that blinded and enwrapped them utterly, and then dwindled to a speck in the far distance, changed back into a droning bee once more. The old grey horse, dreaming, as he plodded along, of his quiet paddock, in a new raw situation such as this simply abandoned himself to his natural emotions.
Rearing, plunging, backing steadily, in spite of all the Mole’s efforts at his head, and all the Mole’s lively language directed at his better feelings, he drove the cart backwards towards the deep ditch at the side of the road. It wavered an instant then there was a heartrending crash- and the canary-coloured cart, their pride and their joy, lay on its side in the ditch, an irredeemable wreck.
The Rat danced up and down in the road, simply transported with passion. ‘You villains!’ he shouted, shaking both fists, ‘You scoundrels, you highwaymen, youyou- road-hogs!- I’ll have the law on you! I’ll report you! I’ll take you through all the Courts!’ His home-sickness had quite slipped away from him, and for the moment he was the skipper of the canary-coloured vessel driven on a shoal by the reckless jockeying of rival mariners, and he was trying to recollect all the fine and biting things he used to say to masters of steam-launches when their wash, as they drove too near the bank, used to flood his parlour-carpet at home.
Toad sat straight down in the middle of the dusty road, his legs stretched out before him, and stared fixedly in the direction of the disappearing motor-car. He breathed short, his face wore a placid satisfied expression, and at intervals he faintly murmured ‘Poop-poop!’

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
far behind them they heard a faint warning hum, like the drone of a distant bee. Glancing back, they saw a small cloud of dust, with a dark centre of energy, advancing on them at incredible speed, while from out the dust a faint ‘Pooppoop!’ wailed like an uneasy animal in pain.

More simple

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Finally purchased an e36 M3 (1995 Manual 5 spd) a couple of weeks ago.

The guy who sold it to me has a garage and race shop and was going to build it into his personal race car until his nephew dinged the front end ripping doughnuts in the parking lot.

All the issues are in front of the front strut towers and we're getting a guy he knows to straighten it out for cheap. I managed to snag the car for just $3000!!!

What a steal. He's including a $1000+ carbon fiber hood and all the panels (except for the front left quarter panel). The drive train has pretty much every turner motorsport part available, except cams.

Hopefully I can get the car straightened and put back together soon. I'm really itching to drive it soon. Gotta put the interior back in it, or as much of an interior as a race car needs (not much).

I'll probably sell most of the interior to buy a set of race seats. First thing I'll do though is get it up on some jack stands and replace all the suspension bushings and any typical wear items in the steering rack. I'll probably also rent a pressure washer and hit it with that to clean the underside and engine bay.

I feel like I waited so long to get the right car, and now I'm having to wait even longer! Oh well it will be back on the streets soon enough.

I'll have some more pics once I've done more work on it.

10827904_10205172559813596_2738716039262652903_o.jpg

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How often did you put your luggage in the back?

Not often since that's where the engine is :laugh:. There was a decent size compartment in the front and the back seat though useless for carrying people was practical for storing things at times.

Mole

Permabanned
Summernats and Street Machines

I was talking to Toad the other day and he confided in me that he was planning to go to Summernats 2015, with millions of dollars of street machines, 100,000 Australian petrol heads, all in the beautiful Capital of Australia, Canberra.

I tried to dissuade Toad from going to salivate over these muscle cars, these street machines. But you know Toad, he is headstrong in his enthusiasms, and is not for turning.

I even went so far as to say that empathy was not really the watchword of these petrol heads, and sometimes they even get a bit rowdy. But Toad said, pfft, who cares about empathy in a magnificent street machine?

Toad opened the Canberra Times and pointed at an article and said here, read all about Summernats on Summernats preview - hot cars, millions of dollars and well-behaved crowds

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
High performance car, low performance driver:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The frame on the e36 should be straightened out by next week, and all the panels will be back on! It should take about a month (of weekends) worth of work to get it ready for autocross!

93JC

Jay Leno owns an 87, a predecessor of the 603: Jay Leno’s Garage | NBC

Tatra was known for having developed very aerodynamic cars in the 1930s with rear mounted, air-cooled engines. In fact Tatra accused Volkswagen of having based the design of the Beetle on the prototype Tatra V570. See Tatra V570 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Eventually they settled out of court.

Tatra, being a Czechoslovakian company, was forced to produce only a certain number of cars under the planned economy of the communist Czechoslovakian state after the Second World War. Skoda was 'given' exclusive licence to build passenger cars after the war but the Tatra employees fought with the government to be allowed to continue to produce cars, in addition to the state-mandated production of trucks. The 603 was the second post-war product they made, produced from the '50s until the mid-'70s. It was replaced by the 613, essentially a heavily re-engineered version of the 603 with a more contemporary body. After the Cold War ended Tatra made one last passenger car, the 700. Production only lasted a couple years and few cars were sold.

Tatra now only builds trucks, focusing on the production of heavy-duty off-road models for the construction, mining, forestry and oil & gas industries; they build everything from 4x2 to 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 and even 10x10 models. They're the biggest independent automotive manufacturer left in the Czech Republic (Skoda having been gobbled up by Volkswagen, of course).

It's sad that Tatra was crushed under the communist regime. Unlike most Eastern Bloc cars Tatras were built to very high standards, were of excellent quality and had very innovative designs. By comparison Skodas were plebeian, and most cars from other Bloc countries were cheap knockoffs or licenced copies of other manufacturers' cars (Ladas and FSOs from Russia and Poland were Fiats, Dacias from Romania were Renaults, Moskvitches were mostly copies of Opels, older ZILs were almost exact copies of Packards, etc.).

There is currently a 1991 Tatra T613-3 for sale on eBay right now. It's located in Tennessee.

9O7C0KU.jpg

AMQZhK5.jpg

The ad claims it's a 1976 model but they didn't even begin building the 613-3 until 1985. Its VIN reveals its real age.

The 613 was essentially a 603 with a new body designed in the late 1960s by the Italian coachbuilder Vignale. It retained the rear-mounted air-cooled V8 layout from the T603, however the engine was punched out to 3.5 L displacement and the heads featured double-overhead camshafts; power was up to about 165 hp when introduced. Unfortunately for Tatra the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia and ensuing chaos delayed introduction of the new car until 1974. The slightly revised 613-2 was introduced in 1980, and the 613-3 as pictured here was introduced in 1985. This was the last car made by Tatra under communist rule.