• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Car Thread

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
All of your suspension suggestions sound pretty good. Although I'm no expert when it comes to suspension telemetry figures.

If you are going to up PSI, let me caution you that you may have to also upgrade internals (can begin to get a little pricey) to handle the extra boost.

Besides that I would get a boost controller and just use that as my fun switch. You should def autocross that thing.

:cheers:

Awesome!

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on tuning comprehensively.

Where do you want to get the car to in terms of HP and weight reduction and such?
i know a guy who's dropped over $90,000 in modifications for his STi. it makes just over 600 awhp, and some silly torque number. he's built and/or rebuilt every part of the driveline. engine, transmission, axles, driveshaft. he can use premium pump fuel, but when he's making those numbers, he's running $11/gal race fuel.
a lot of the money has to be set aside for great safety equipment as well. roll cage, 5 point harnesses...
and then there's of course the insurance bill. at that level, you insure every pricey part for its full value.

600awhp is impressive. there's no denying that.
but with diminishing returns, the price per HP goes up dangerously fast. not only that, but each HP you add renders a smaller performance gain compared to the last one you tacked on.

i could easily belch out a few outlandish numbers, but the truth is, anything past 400AWHP in the next two years is simply out of my grasp, given my financial standing right now.

as far as weight goes... i'm far less interested in weight loss than i am in power gains. there's not much you can take away that doesn't dramatically reduce ride quality. frankly, the luxuries i'd have to remove to get any considerable weight loss are non-negotiable. after all, it's my daily driver.

but someday i'll build a stupid fast one.

in the meantime, i drool over things like this
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67GpXbViSg]:)[/youtube]

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm not usually into exotics, but this one is just plain hot.

02_zenvo_info_st1_opt.jpg

even at 1250hp [factory limit] it's comfortably streetable.
a car like this could replace the wife: it'll get fetch the groceries and never let you forget that you're a man.
and with a price tag of only 1.8M USD, it comes at a significant discount!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
i know a guy who's dropped over $90,000 in modifications for his STi. it makes just over 600 awhp, and some silly torque number. he's built and/or rebuilt every part of the driveline. engine, transmission, axles, driveshaft. he can use premium pump fuel, but when he's making those numbers, he's running $11/gal race fuel.
a lot of the money has to be set aside for great safety equipment as well. roll cage, 5 point harnesses...
and then there's of course the insurance bill. at that level, you insure every pricey part for its full value.

600awhp is impressive. there's no denying that.
but with diminishing returns, the price per HP goes up dangerously fast. not only that, but each HP you add renders a smaller performance gain compared to the last one you tacked on.

i could easily belch out a few outlandish numbers, but the truth is, anything past 400AWHP in the next two years is simply out of my grasp, given my financial standing right now.

as far as weight goes... i'm far less interested in weight loss than i am in power gains. there's not much you can take away that doesn't dramatically reduce ride quality. frankly, the luxuries i'd have to remove to get any considerable weight loss are non-negotiable. after all, it's my daily driver.

but someday i'll build a stupid fast one.

in the meantime, i drool over things like this
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67GpXbViSg]:)[/youtube]

Yea when I built the e36 to begin with, I don't care about going much beyond about 400hp to the wheels. The first thing I'll try and do is gut it and put a cage in and get some suspension going. Only once I've got the handling where I want it will I start adding power.

I figure the cheapest and easiest way to get to 400 with the option for more is just just slap a snail on the inline 6. I would prefer quick spool times to larger HP gains. Looking for the most responsive 400hp I could get. I think I'd keep the A/C and stereo, just for road comfort as I intend to have the car blur the line between a race car and a street car.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
as I intend to have the car blur the line between a race car and a street car.
that's autoX for ya!

Yea when I built the e36 to begin with, I don't care about going much beyond about 400hp to the wheels.
400hp is fast. as i said, i'm only making about 290 wheel right now, and i'm just ecstatic. it's fast enough that i actually have to re-learn some of my favorite roads.
since i can hit my red line so much sooner, i'm finding i have decide whether to shift more, or throttle less.
i'm tending towards throttling less, given the short gaps between corners, so after all that, what's the extra 50whp good for?
400 will surely be satisfactory.
The first thing I'll try and do is gut it and put a cage in and get some suspension going. Only once I've got the handling where I want it will I start adding power.
more power will change how the car handles. you can dial in the suspension once you find a comfortable rev range to chill with, but it's way harder to build and tune an engine to accommodate your handling specs.
unfortunately, what might be zero-steer will quickly turn into serious drift once you start powering up!

I figure the cheapest and easiest way to get to 400 with the option for more is just just slap a snail on the inline 6. I would prefer quick spool times to larger HP gains. Looking for the most responsive 400hp I could get. I think I'd keep the A/C and stereo, just for road comfort
i don't know how you'll get 400 wheel out of one of an i6 any other way.
supercharging... could get close!
but you won't find any power in the high revs. when you're race/track/spirited streeting the car, you won't have time to shift and land in a comfortable spot.
choosing quick spool times is a good choice, too. you can stand on a pillar of high HP with a big boner, but it's not gonna get you around the track any faster if you spend all day waiting for the turbo to get off its ass.
you definitely *don't* want to choose a charger that's too small, though. problems ranging from a warm charge [not sure how BMW engines handle this, but subarus knock a few times and then BOOM!] to busted turbo internals can result from excessive exhaust gas passing through the hotside.
luckily, we live in the golden age of turbo-charging. we have everything from external wastegates to recirculating blow off valves among a vast range of intercooler sizes.
the fact is this: with the right supporting modifications, you can "screw up" your turbo selection, and still achieve the power band you're looking for. which makes fine tuning your turbo selection all the more appetizing.
that is to say, if you got what you wanted when you miscalculated, imagine how much better it will be when you hit the sweet spot!

i look forward to hearing all about your build.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'm not usually into exotics, but this one is just plain hot.

02_zenvo_info_st1_opt.jpg

even at 1250hp [factory limit] it's comfortably streetable.
a car like this could replace the wife: it'll get fetch the groceries and never let you forget that you're a man.
and with a price tag of only 1.8M USD, it comes at a significant discount!

[MENTION=512]Nocapszy[/MENTION]
What. Is. That?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hear women are turned on by this vehicle:

Not sure why, though.

Personally, I would assume they're much more turned on by this vehicle, which is of the same class, but is much better looking and more expensive:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i can assure you that no woman you'd actually want to be with is sexually charged by either of those vehicles.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
why do you keep putting the photos in spoiler tags?

i don't really know what kind of car turns on a woman. i only own one car, and it gets very little female attention.
but if you have a lot of success with women driving a car like that, she's probably more interested in the cocaine compartment you had custom fitted to the center console than she is you or the rest of the car.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'd like to get a set of these for the scoob.

76884-cts-v-brakes-something-different-31_1.jpg

i need a little more braking power in the rear. might as well upgrade the fronts at the same time!
that's not to say my braking is lacking. i can take a nose dive and go from 100-50 in only a few short seconds. the only time i do that is when i absolutely need to, which tends to make those seconds last a lot longer...

with these brakes i'd be running bigger discs in both front and rear.
plus i'd have that cool cross-platform look.

fitment will be difficult with these, as i'm sure their mounting brackets are in completely different places.

Space Socks

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I've recently been seeing these Saturn Sky models and I think they look beautiful. They look like cars that will have a lasting look, but stock engine... sucks.

Anyway, why I'm really here for is my brother has a 94' toyota celica and he's done quite of bit of modifying to it, mostly the body. He's now working on the interior and I'm quite envious as to how much character this little car has. He brought home a beautiful black supra not long ago to work on the bumper for a friend and I got to do a test drive(permission of course!) and I've got to say... that is one sexy car. Dad has a little red celica, 2000 I think and I'm not so much of a fan, especially for the the large spoiler the previous owner had put on it. Otherwise, fast and fun.

So now my dad and I are looking at a 93' silver celica and it's convertible. There's a lot of work that needs to be done, but it's up for 2000 (might haggle a bit since it's lacking some major things) and I'm very tempted to start my own project with something I'd like to keep for a long time.

Family has a history of being into cars and growing up around my dad and brother has gotten me interested in doing something similar in the future... I'm not a huge follower on the toyota line, but I'm most familiar with it and I'm wondering if I should go with the 93' celica as a good project.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
i'd like to get a set of these for the scoob.

76884-cts-v-brakes-something-different-31_1.jpg

i need a little more braking power in the rear. might as well upgrade the fronts at the same time!
that's not to say my braking is lacking. i can take a nose dive and go from 100-50 in only a few short seconds. the only time i do that is when i absolutely need to, which tends to make those seconds last a lot longer...

with these brakes i'd be running bigger discs in both front and rear.
plus i'd have that cool cross-platform look.

fitment will be difficult with these, as i'm sure their mounting brackets are in completely different places.

Very cool, although I'm curious as to why you would go with those caddy brakes as opposed to brembo, ap racing, or stoptech.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Very cool, although I'm curious as to why you would go with those caddy brakes as opposed to brembo, ap racing, or stoptech.

they are brembo. :)
the reason i want specifically the cadi brembos is purely cosmetic.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I saw my first commercial for the Scion FR-s/Subaru BRZ tonight.

I can't wait to see the specs on the STI version.

new-subaru-BRZ-konsep-IMS-1.jpg