User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

my subaru:

it is modified, but not fully built yet.

i love this whip.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    my subaru:

it is modified, but not fully built yet.

i love this whip.
    Sick!

I love scubarus.

MBTI
    ENTP

when i have the time, i will list the mods i've done so far.
    there are plenty coming up. mostly suspension.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

when i have the time, i will list the mods i've done so far.
    there are plenty coming up. mostly suspension.
    What brand of suspension are you going to go with?

And what are you're goals for tuning the car? Or are you just tuning to have a faster street car?

EDIT - take your time with a response.

MBTI
    ENTP

Turn in Concepts has a great coilover set for subaru. i'll be sampling a lot, but i probably don't need to. i need to do my homework on spring rate, because i want a stiffer rear end compared to the front than i've got now. subarus tend to understeer, but a sturdy backside can clear a lot of that up.
    additionally, i'll be going from a 17mm to 22mm rear sway bar [also for alleviating understeer] among other small upgrades like end links etc.

as of yet, the car hasn't been tracked or autocrossed. it eats un-tuned STi for breakfast on the street though.

i'm actually going out for some ECU modifications in about an hour. upping the boost from 16psi to 20psi or more.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Turn in Concepts has a great coilover set for subaru. i'll be sampling a lot, but i probably don't need to. i need to do my homework on spring rate, because i want a stiffer rear end compared to the front than i've got now. subarus tend to understeer, but a sturdy backside can clear a lot of that up.
    additionally, i'll be going from a 17mm to 22mm rear sway bar [also for alleviating understeer] among other small upgrades like end links etc.

as of yet, the car hasn't been tracked or autocrossed. it eats un-tuned STi for breakfast on the street though.

i'm actually going out for some ECU modifications in about an hour. upping the boost from 16psi to 20psi or more.
    All of your suspension suggestions sound pretty good. Although I'm no expert when it comes to suspension telemetry figures.

If you are going to up PSI, let me caution you that you may have to also upgrade internals (can begin to get a little pricey) to handle the extra boost.

Besides that I would get a boost controller and just use that as my fun switch. You should def autocross that thing.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    All of your suspension suggestions sound pretty good. Although I'm no expert when it comes to suspension telemetry figures.

If you are going to up PSI, let me caution you that you may have to also upgrade internals (can begin to get a little pricey) to handle the extra boost.
    very true, and rebuilding engines is a known part of the subaru lifestyle.
    but i won't get there 'til i get above 24psi. i'm only peaking at just under 22psi, and it only holds there for about 1500rpm. additionally, it hits there rather low in the rev range -- about 3,300rpm to 4,800rpm.
    one of the things that made subaru's WRX and STi so popular is the immediate onset of torque and power. they "jump" so to speak, because engine efficiency peaks early, comes on quickly. they do tend to fall on their faces past 4,300rpm without a good amount of work done to them.
    we see a lot of guys try to defy this rule, and wind them past 6,500 and it always ends badly. it ends in them either rebuilding their engine, or switching to an EVO [noob mistake]

Besides that I would get a boost controller and just use that as my fun switch.
    i have an electronic boost controller that has its own data parameter in the ECU so it can be programmed at the same time as the rest of the map.

You should def autocross that thing.
    i will, soon enough.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

ok, so i just got back from finalizing my ECU tune.
    right now we're estimating between 290-300hp at all four wheels
    we won't know the exact figure 'til i can hop on the dynamometer.

my current mod list includes the following:
    power:

present:
    starting from a 2.5L tubocharged boxer 4 cylinder engine linked to stock subaru 5MT
    - huge top mount intercooler
    - VF39 [STi] turbo swap, upgraded from TD04-13G
    - 3" custom welded exhaust manifold from the turbo to the tailpipe
    - aggressive engine control tune

future:
    - upgrade header; haven't decided which to get, but as long as they're less restrictive... probably get cheapies
    - 950cc injectors; the only reason they're not on the car yet is because i need to get them flow tested
    - E85 tuning
    - faster fuel pump [E85 is like syrup... gotta pump that stuff fast]

suspension:

present:
    - tein flex coilovers ---> springrate is: front - 559 lb/in; rear - 392 lb/in [SO soft in the rear... this is why i understeer so much!]
    - STi "pink" 22mm front sway bar

future:
    - 22mm rear sway bar to stiffen up the rear
    - whiteline endlinks in all corners
    - potentially new coilovers with an ideal spring rate of less than 500 lb/in up front and more than 430 lb/in in the back

wheel/tire:

summer:
    - 17"x9" rota DPT wheels
    - 245/40/17 dunlop direzza star spec in all corners

winter
    - 17"x7" stock 2006 wrx wheels in all corners
    - 205/50/17 michelin x-ice 2

i rather like this wheel/tire set up, but next time i get winters, i'll want something with a stiffer sidewall. these are just plain sloppy.

besides that... it's just a few cosmetic modifications and some bodywork to accommodate the ridiculously wide summer wheels/tires.
    all of my "future" categories are subject to change at any time. they are incomplete because i'm exhausted after driving for about 3 hours straight and can't think.

they tend to like to get video of autocross, and i'm in the market for a gopro camera myself, so perhaps i'll post a video or two of my monster in action.
    Last edited by Nocapszy; 05-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Likes Blackout liked this post

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

ok, so i just got back from finalizing my ECU tune.
    right now we're estimating between 290-300hp at all four wheels
    we won't know the exact figure 'til i can hop on the dynamometer.

my current mod list includes the following:
    power:

present:
    starting from a 2.5L tubocharged boxer 4 cylinder engine linked to stock subaru 5MT
    -VF39 [STi] turbo swap, upgraded from TD04-13G
    -3" custom welded exhaust manifold from the turbo to the tailpipe
    -aggressive engine control tune

future:
    - upgrade header; haven't decided which to get, but as long as they're less restrictive... probably get cheapies
    - 950cc injectors; the only reason they're not on the car yet is because i need to get them flow tested
    - E85 tuning
    - faster fuel pump [E85 is like syrup... gotta pump that stuff fast]

suspension:

present:
    - tein flex coilovers ---> springrate is: front - 559 lb/in; rear - 392 lb/in [SO soft in the rear... this is why i understeer so much!]
    - STi "pink" 22mm front sway bar

future:
    - 22mm rear sway bar to stiffen up the rear
    - whiteline endlinks in all corners
    - potentially new coilovers with an ideal spring rate of less than 500 lb/in up front and more than 430 lb/in in the back

wheel/tire:

summer:
    - 17"x9" rota DPT wheels
    - 245/40/17 dunlop direzza star spec in all corners

winter
    - 17"x7" stock 2006 wrx wheels in all corners
    - 205/50/17 michelin x-ice 2

i rather like this wheel/tire set up, but next time i get winters, i'll want something with a stiffer sidewall. these are just plain sloppy.

besides that... it's just a few cosmetic modifications and some bodywork to accommodate the ridiculously wide summer wheels/tires.
    all of my "future" categories are subject to change at any time. they are incomplete because i'm exhausted after driving for about 3 hours straight and can't think.

they tend to like to get video of autocross, and i'm in the market for a gopro camera myself, so perhaps i'll post a video or two of my monster in action.
    Awesome!

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on tuning comprehensively.

Where do you want to get the car to in terms of HP and weight reduction and such?