User Tag List

First 303839404142 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Okay seriously. WTF is up with all the new cars having the equivalent of sideways castle-style arrow slits for windows? The more transparency the better for me...
    Side impact collisions and roof strength in the event of a rollover. Seriously. Hoods are also much higher and blunter than they used to be for the sake of 'protecting' pedestrians from injury as much as possible.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Side impact collisions and roof strength in the event of a rollover. Seriously. Hoods are also much higher and blunter than they used to be for the sake of 'protecting' pedestrians from injury as much as possible.
    I guess that makes sense, but I don't agree with it still. Visibility decreases causes so many accidents, and adding the car itself to the list of obstacles is annoying. I mean, I'm terrified of driving my sister's car because I literally cannot see anything around me. I have to stick my head out the window to back up because the area of view is far too small and narrow to actually tell if anything is truly behind me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I guess that makes sense, but I don't agree with it still. Visibility decreases causes so many accidents, and adding the car itself to the list of obstacles is annoying. I mean, I'm terrified of driving my sister's car because I literally cannot see anything around me. I have to stick my head out the window to back up because the area of view is far too small and narrow to actually tell if anything is truly behind me.
    You won't get any argument from me. My first car was a 1990 Dodge Spirit:

(not mine, but it looked exactly the same)

It wasn't a big car but it had a very long nose and a very large turning radius, which made it not very manoeuvrable in tight spaces. It was still very easy to drive because it had great visibility out the windows, and you could very easily tell where the corners of the car were.
    Likes SD45T-2, kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You won't get any argument from me. My first car was a 1990 Dodge Spirit:

(not mine, but it looked exactly the same)

It wasn't a big car but it had a very long nose and a very large turning radius, which made it not very manoeuvrable in tight spaces. It was still very easy to drive because it had great visibility out the windows, and you could very easily tell where the corners of the car were.
    Cars are getting so tiny now. My first car that I owned was an '83 Crown Vic. (and the first car that I drove in by myself was a '63 Galaxie)

I felt like I was driving a boat. Especially because the suspension had gone soggy in my Crown Vic and it would sway and bounce everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Cars are getting so tiny now. My first car that I owned was an '83 Crown Vic. (and the first car that I drove in by myself was a '63 Galaxie)

I felt like I was driving a boat. Especially because the suspension had gone soggy in my Crown Vic and it would sway and bounce everywhere.
    Eh, I don't think they're getting any smaller at all, actually. Cars definitely got smaller in the latter half of the 1970s and into the 1980s, but I'd hazard that by 1990 they started getting bigger again and haven't really stopped since. Not to mention the proliferation of SUVs and trucks that took off in the early '90s; trucks have definitely become much bigger than before.

E.g. in '83 the LTD Crown Vic was the biggest car Ford made. Today their biggest car is the Taurus. The Crown Vic was 211" long; the Taurus is 202.9". The Crown Vic was 55.6" tall; the Taurus is 60.7". The Crown Vic weighed about 3,700 lb; the Taurus weighs over 4,000. The Crown Vic was longer but it was almost all just overhang. The Taurus is faster, considerably more powerful and more fuel efficient than the Crown Vic ever was but it's also wider, taller and heavier.

Take the VW Golf as another example:

Granted that photo makes the newer one look bigger by virtue of being closer to the camera but nevertheless the newest Golf is about a foot-and-a-half longer, over half a foot wider, two inches taller and 700 to 1300 pounds heavier than the original from the mid-'70s.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

My Stoptech Rotors and pads finally came in

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Saw one of these yesterday.

I had never seen one before.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Overpriced German junk.