User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've always liked old low tech wood burning powered vehicles. A lot of cars in Europe were converted over to run off of the by-product gases produced by burning wood in WW2.

Some of these cars bring to mind images of a Mad Max world where gasoline is rare or either non-existent.

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/...-gas-cars.html

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

why no girlfriend?
    because race car!

we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTj

That car would be great for tailgating.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

[YOUTUBE="J8fNpTSLi80"]Happy Journey[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I watched that video and I like that car. I never heard of or saw a Tatra 603 car before. I had to look it up. I was stunned to find out it had an air-cooled V8 in the rear. 94-to-105 HP.

Jay Leno owns an 87, a predecessor of the 603: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/tatra-t87/277881/

Tatra was known for having developed very aerodynamic cars in the 1930s with rear mounted, air-cooled engines. In fact Tatra accused Volkswagen of having based the design of the Beetle on the prototype Tatra V570. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_V570 . Eventually they settled out of court.

Tatra, being a Czechoslovakian company, was forced to produce only a certain number of cars under the planned economy of the communist Czechoslovakian state after the Second World War. Skoda was 'given' exclusive licence to build passenger cars after the war but the Tatra employees fought with the government to be allowed to continue to produce cars, in addition to the state-mandated production of trucks. The 603 was the second post-war product they made, produced from the '50s until the mid-'70s. It was replaced by the 613, essentially a heavily re-engineered version of the 603 with a more contemporary body. After the Cold War ended Tatra made one last passenger car, the 700. Production only lasted a couple years and few cars were sold.

Tatra now only builds trucks, focusing on the production of heavy-duty off-road models for the construction, mining, forestry and oil & gas industries; they build everything from 4x2 to 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 and even 10x10 models. They're the biggest independent automotive manufacturer left in the Czech Republic (Skoda having been gobbled up by Volkswagen, of course).

It's sad that Tatra was crushed under the communist regime. Unlike most Eastern Bloc cars Tatras were built to very high standards, were of excellent quality and had very innovative designs. By comparison Skodas were plebeian, and most cars from other Bloc countries were cheap knockoffs or licenced copies of other manufacturers' cars (Ladas and FSOs from Russia and Poland were Fiats, Dacias from Romania were Renaults, Moskvitches were mostly copies of Opels, older ZILs were almost exact copies of Packards, etc.).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

It can be hard these days finding a mechanic that knows how to adjust a carbureted engine being as most newer model vehicles are fuel-injected. A lot of the time you have to find an old timer mechanic that's familiar with older model vehicles. I replaced the factory 22r Aisin brand carb on my Toyota 4wd with a better performance Weber carb and have had 3 different mechanics try to adjust it right and I've still had problems. It's been rejetted twice even. Thin air elevation and trying to find someone familiar with a specialty performance carburetor to set it up right is a P-I-T-A.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

skads of those old cobras around my area.
    why did they change the body style to its current disgraceful shape?
    they had it right 50 years ago.
    we fukin won boys

Current shape...?