User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    i'm not sure where you're getting your quotes, but as far as i know, a 400hp super charger will cost more than a 500hp turbo. it's tough to make big figures like that on [what i assume will be] an I6 with only a super charger.
    also, in my opinion, super chargers have a big cool factor too
    in fact, one of my project ideas is to get one of those big 3.6 H6s subaru is putting out now, supercharge it and drop it into a forester.
    Supers are certainly cool, but I've heard some terrible super whine on high hp applications. I'd love to have a blower, I just don't want my car to scream like a banshey because I dipped into the throttle. I'm fine with some, and I have heard plenty of supers that sound pleasant, but I've also heard some that would not be fun to listen to lap after lap.

bmw is a definitely a good choice for this. bolt ins are worthless. good plan.
    That's why I chose the e36. I wanted to start with the best chassis I could find (at a relatively cheap price point) and then build it up from there.

I'd rather have a great foundation to build from, rather than realizing down the road that I'm gonna need a shop to redo all my suspension geometry just because I didn't choose a good base platform.

I would never try to save money on safety items.

it's good to see that your primary focus is suspension.
    my only warning is that you be careful with choosing your spring rate if you're really gonna DD this thing.
    the springrates on my subaru were *way* too high for the street. it was alright when driving to and from work, and made for some fun, fast commutes, but when i had to drive any further than that, i was practically bleeding from the asshole by the time i got out.

by the way, i've gone back to my stock dampers but with upgraded springs.
    with the fat ass sway bars i have, it hasn't cost me any handling in my driving. the body does still roll a little, but hey, it adds a little thrill to the ride!
    very happy with where my car is right now, but coilovers will go back on the car at some time. i'll just make sure they're softer than the tein flex i was using.

overall, even if you go supercharger i still approve. that will be a fun little wagon.
    The suspension work will be incremental, and I will probably have to find setups that will work for whatever current balance between track performance and streetability I want.

But those AST 4200's are going to be for when I start to get serious with it.

They would probably boot me out of the Autox class I would want to start in.

Those are the lowest price point monotube (rebuildable/revalveable) shocks I could find.

They would be my first serious set of race suspension, but I would probably get some motons with fluid reservoirs for when I get really serious.

MBTI
    INFJ

As for turbo vs super charger...

I'd say if it's a small gasoline engine that you want to boost, use turbo, since it uses exhaust energy that the engine already makes.

If it's a diesel, use a turbo. Diesel can get such high compression that it can power turbo very well, but if you use a supercharger you lose that advantage.

If you have a beefy gasoline engine you can use supercharger and take some of the engines power output to charge it.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

AST is probably what i'll use on my car when i do upgrade the suspension. no idea yet what i'll want.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I would never try to save money on safety items.
    and tires. never skimp on tires. you can skimp on anything else and be ok.
    but if you got trash rubber or a roll bar that rotates before it bends, you're gonna hurt yourself.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    AST is probably what i'll use on my car when i do upgrade the suspension. no idea yet what i'll want.

and tires. never skimp on tires. you can skimp on anything else and be ok.
    but if you got trash rubber or a roll bar that rotates before it bends, you're gonna hurt yourself.
    I'm buying good tires first. That will probably be my first big purchase and I'll go with whatever the gold standard is in that autox class.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    As for turbo vs super charger...

I'd say if it's a small gasoline engine that you want to boost, use turbo, since it uses exhaust energy that the engine already makes.

If it's a diesel, use a turbo. Diesel can get such high compression that it can power turbo very well, but if you use a supercharger you lose that advantage.

If you have a beefy gasoline engine you can use supercharger and take some of the engines power output to charge it.
    Supers do act in a parasitic fashion on the drive line, but they give you power immediately, which can be advantageous on tighter road courses.

The power is right there with a super, and I've hear maintenance is a little easier with a super (its a less complicated system).

But turbos on the top end are crazy, they have been getting cheaper, and their aftermarket seems bigger.

But there are new super systems coming out all the time, many of which make great hp like this system from JAWS motorsport in Sweden.

It makes 457 to the wheels(or so says the company that makes it).

[YOUTUBE="jP_8NRuneaE"]JAWS E36 M3 3,2 Supercharger Kit Testing [/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFJ

@DiscoBiscuit

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

I think one big difference between the two is that with a turbo by itself you can mitigate the low RPM drawbacks with brainchild trickery, resulting in a more complex machine, but to mitigate the drawbacks of a supercharger by itself you pretty much just make stuff bigger/more powerful.

Or you twincharge. :P

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    @DiscoBiscuit

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

I think one big difference between the two is that with a turbo by itself you can mitigate the low RPM drawbacks with brainchild trickery, resulting in a more complex machine, but to mitigate the drawbacks of a supercharger by itself you pretty much just make stuff bigger/more powerful.

Or you twincharge. :P
    I might have to, that swedish super costs almost 10 large.

MBTI
    INTJ

Supercharger eats fuel, only big disadvantage for the mildly tuned engines. That said i wish there where more mad supercharger cars around. You see alot of crazy turbo engines but few all out charger builds.

Luckily there is one in Norway that has more than just the numbers. videos to the right.

http://www.pollymotorsport.no/index.php?mapping=33

Before Bugatti came around he was trying to get the fastest street registered car record. He competes in the silver state classic with it too.

Something similar but with a more modern engine would be cool.
    Epic derailment:
    wierd memory work->Tamagochi->tetris->Starcraft2->thugs->Chess->german techno->Love parade->disaster->death..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wH2...eature=related

MBTI
    ENTP

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPJUmerxd1Y"]RWB[/YOUTUBE]
    frick yeah, mothafrickas.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTiCqqiG1iY"]lexus IS F[/YOUTUBE]
    prettiest exhaust note of them all.