User Tag List

First 13212223242533 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Crickets under the hood?
    They sound like it some times LOL. Due to the anti-lag. Some say it's the BOV chattering, others say it's air going backwards through the turbines.

Either way it's quite a funny sound. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a fast car or anything, but a lot of powerful turbo setups do exhibit the cricket noises.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Crickets under the hood?
    Quote Originally Posted by nocapszy
    "i'm not driving fast, i'm flying low!"
    my car is a featherweight compared to that behemoth.

*chirp* *chirp*

Mhmm, you want one. Confess.
    there are a few parts i'd like to repurpose in other machines but... overall, i'll tend to pass on this.
    if i'm going V8, i'm going SLS AMG.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    They sound like it some times LOL. Due to the anti-lag.
    my subaru is not equipped with anti-lag, but it does make all kinds of satisfying, bird-like noises.
    Doesn't necessarily mean it's a fast car or anything
    anti-lag doesn't add any horses. all it does is help you to assemble the stampede quicker.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    my subaru is not equipped with anti-lag, but it does make all kinds of satisfying, bird-like noises.

anti-lag doesn't add any horses. all it does is help you to assemble the stampede quicker.
    Yeah it's probably compressor surge. Like the turbine hitting the air that's deflected back from not being able to go into the engine.

Edit: actually I mean impeller. The intake part. I get those two confused because they look a bit similar.

MBTI
    ENTP

we in the business usually just say "hot side," meaning exhaust wheel/housing, and "cold side," meaning the compressor wheel/housing.
    it's obviously imprecise, since both sides are painfully hot to the touch, but relatively speaking, it references the boolean truth necessitated by exhaust powered aspiration.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ

we in the business usually just say "hot side," meaning exhaust wheel/housing, and "cold side," meaning the compressor wheel/housing.
    it's obviously imprecise, since both sides are painfully hot to the touch, but relatively speaking, it references the boolean truth necessitated by exhaust powered aspiration.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

In either case even though it makes a cool sound it generally results from something that you don't actually want to have.

MBTI
    ENTP

that is correct. but since turbochargers are cheap... meh.
    the problem is that these fools use the most tightly wound blow off valve they can find, so it shuts completely with no relent before you can get yourself down to a nice, cool, comfortable negative manifold pressure, meanwhile the intake valves in the heads aren't open long enough [if at all] to give the turbo some relief. the air is forced out the wrong way through the manifold which creates a stressful situation for the charger, since it's being pressed against in both directions.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ

that is correct. but since turbochargers are cheap... meh.
    the problem is that these fools use the most tightly wound blow off valve they can find, so it shuts completely with no relent before you can get yourself down to a nice, cool, comfortable negative manifold pressure, meanwhile the intake valves in the heads aren't open long enough [if at all] to give the turbo some relief. the air is forced out the wrong way through the manifold which creates a stressful situation for the charger, since it's being pressed against in both directions.
    What really cracks me up are the ones that do simulated BOVs and interfoolers.

It's really funny when done for ironic purposes on a car that doesn't even have a turbo just for laughs but some people actually take it seriously.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I was curious as to what the cheapest brand new car in the U.S. was. The 2012 Nissan Versa doesn't look bad for a $10,990 car. The Hyundai Accent used to have that title but the Nissan Versa does now.

I don't want one, but would like to test drive one just to see how well the cheapest brand new car handles and performs.

The manual transmission model with it's 1.6 liter 4 cyl. engine producing 109 horsepower and getting an estimated 27/36 MPG I'd say is pretty good for the price tag. The cheapest base model even comes with standard air conditioning.Nissan must've badly wanted the title of selling the cheapest new car in the U.S.

A window to the soul

They sound like it some times LOL. Due to the anti-lag. Some say it's the BOV chattering, others say it's air going backwards through the turbines.

Either way it's quite a funny sound. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a fast car or anything, but a lot of powerful turbo setups do exhibit the cricket noises.
    I did not know that.

my car is a featherweight compared to that behemoth.

*chirp* *chirp*
    So you've got it bad? Car luv.

I bet it's all too real when one starts shopping for something new and they're left stranded.

there are a few parts i'd like to repurpose in other machines but... overall, i'll tend to pass on this.
    if i'm going V8, i'm going SLS AMG.
    Okay, but that's not what I heard.