User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid

Topspeed is 105 mph, which is too slow for Germany but could suffice in the states.
    The Richtgeschwindigkeit on the autobahns is 130 km/h (81 mph), is it not? 105 mph (169 km/h) should be more than adequate.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hahaha, Richtgeschwindigkeit . Thats a good one ! That speed is a recommendation shown to foreigners crossing the borders . 81 mph is the point when the car has its maximum efficiency regarding speed and consumption, but you can always go as fast as you can when there is no extra speed limit.

In that regards I like that video. The guy goes 160 mph all the time and you just hear nothing, haha

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xYsFnZ2hhc&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Well, if you're not going to drive a hybrid at the most fuel efficient speed there isn't much point in owning a hybrid in the first place, is there?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

No the problem is another: when I said its too slow for the Autobahn I meant you can get yourself in danger with a slow car on the Autobahn. The hybrid isnt perfect but its one of the first hybrid cars thats affordable, at least around here. I am waiting for the hybrid who combines efficiency and performance at a low price and that then I'll buy.

Since its with 11k euro and its low consumption a good car for commuters I found it post-worthy.

Any further questions ?

169 km/h is "too slow"? I've never been to Germany but the few Germans I know who have talked about the autobahns said most people are only driving 130-140 km/h anyway. I just thought it was an odd thing to say, to say a top speed of 169 km/h is "too slow" for Germany. I realize that the recommended speed of 130 is just a recommendation and drivers are free to travel as fast as they want in the unlimited areas but still, I thought Germans were supposed to be the most disciplined drivers in the world. Keep right except to pass!

Either way I think it's moot: Toyota's hybrid system (Hybrid Synergy Drive) is useless at highway speeds anyway. All hybrids are. The electric motor is used in low-speed situations and assists the gasoline engine when accelerating quickly, but at a high steady-state speed the gasoline engine provides all of the motive force. In fact if the car was being powered by the electric motor the battery would drain in mere minutes: the charging system can't keep up. Where hybrids provide an advantage is in cities, in heavy traffic. Not only do they have start-stop programming to shut the engine off when the car is stopped in traffic (a feature that seems to have become common in all small cars in Europe, something that hasn't been featured in any cars except hybrids in North America) but they have the electric motor to propel the car when moving slowly. In heavy urban traffic a hybrid can travel without using the engine at all except to charge the battery when it gets low.

I guess what I'm saying is if you live in a smaller town and travel the autobahns frequently I don't know why you'd want a hybrid in the first place. A Yaris Hybrid will perform exactly like its ordinary 1.5 L gasoline counterpart on the autobahn.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    169 km/h is "too slow"? I've never been to Germany but the few Germans I know who have talked about the autobahns said most people are only driving 130-140 km/h anyway. I just thought it was an odd thing to say, to say a top speed of 169 km/h is "too slow" for Germany. I realize that the recommended speed of 130 is just a recommendation and drivers are free to travel as fast as they want in the unlimited areas but still, I thought Germans were supposed to be the most disciplined drivers in the world. Keep right except to pass!

Either way I think it's moot: Toyota's hybrid system (Hybrid Synergy Drive) is useless at highway speeds anyway. All hybrids are. The electric motor is used in low-speed situations and assists the gasoline engine when accelerating quickly, but at a high steady-state speed the gasoline engine provides all of the motive force. In fact if the car was being powered by the electric motor the battery would drain in mere minutes: the charging system can't keep up. Where hybrids provide an advantage is in cities, in heavy traffic. Not only do they have start-stop programming to shut the engine off when the car is stopped in traffic (a feature that seems to have become common in all small cars in Europe, something that hasn't been featured in any cars except hybrids in North America) but they have the electric motor to propel the car when moving slowly. In heavy urban traffic a hybrid can travel without using the engine at all except to charge the battery when it gets low.

I guess what I'm saying is if you live in a smaller town and travel the autobahns frequently I don't know why you'd want a hybrid in the first place. A Yaris Hybrid will perform exactly like its ordinary 1.5 L gasoline counterpart on the autobahn.
    Man you are really argumentative.

Its too slow for the Autobahn because its acceleration sucks. The problem with the Autobahn is that on the right side the "disciplined" drivers go 130 km/h but on the left side the not so disciplined drivers go 200 km/h. Then you have a lot of transport trucks on the street which go 80 km/h. So when you want to overtake you have to accelerate quickly, change to the left and then back to the right, for that the engine is too weak. You'll always have the feeling on the Autobahn that you are breaking down the traffic and people who want to get fast will kick you from the left lane.

I am from the biggest metropolitan region in Europe, the Autobahn is always traffic jammed here. Still I thought its a good car for commuters who have to go long ways as well since its consumption is low, and the Yaris is leading the breakdown statistics since its a very reliable car which does not need a lot of repairs. I like Toyota for building reliable cars. The other advantage is that its cheap. So when you are driving city only, like you said, a hybrid is good. When you are only driving on highways, its still good because its cheap and reliable. And overall its good for the conciencse cause you drive a more green car.

And now this discussion is over, I feel like being on death row talking to you.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

get to take my wheelz on road soonskies
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Man you are really argumentative.
    I wouldn't have anything to say at all if what you said wasn't so contradictory.

Its too slow for the Autobahn because its acceleration sucks.
    Why didn't you say this in the first place? You said it was "too slow", not that it "accelerates too slowly".

So what should the minimum acceptable power for cars in Germany be? 200 hp? 250? There must be a great many cars on the autobahns with inadequate power. Perhaps your TÜV should include a power test in your yearly inspection, get all those underpowered death traps off the roads.

And now this discussion is over, I feel like being on death row talking to you.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you remind me of my workmate. since his wife left him he argues about anything with me.

average hp with cars here is 160. thats enough for the Autobahn. you can achieve that performance number cheaply in production by two turbo chargers. that way even a 1.6 liter engine can be brought to high HP. the most famous car in that row is the golf gti.

Maybe you get into arguments, with your co-worker and others, because you start them. You certainly seemed to enjoy picking an argument with me with hostile and condescending remarks like "Any further questions?" and "And now this discussion is over, I feel like being on death row talking to you."