User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Thread: The Car Thread

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Actually the engine specs of the STI have come out...

And they're staggering.

The Subaru BRZ STI Engine Debuts in Japanese version of the Legacy and Next Generation WRX

Our insiders have been telling us all along that the Subaru BRZ 2.0-liter flat four boxster engine would be receiving a turbo. Subaru and Toyota have been vehemently denying the rumor during the initial launch of the “Tokyo Triplets” who would be the Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS and Toyota GT-86 models. Yesterday we saw the first official confirmation from Subaru that what we have been reporting all along has the possibility of coming true in the year 2014.

It was announced yesterday that a turbocharged version of the BRZ’s engine will be used in the Japanese market to power the refreshed Subaru Legacy and will find its way in to the next generation Subaru WRX. The turbo FA20 engine has been reported to be output just under 300 hp and will tip the scales at a very impressive and capable 296 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. These stats are staggering as our insiders were previously suggesting that the Turbo BRZ STI would be tuned to 270 hp. Either or the current engine in the BRZ is capable of outputting a clean and even 200 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque.

The new turbo FA features Subaru’s own direct-injection setup, as opposed (boxer-engine pun intended) to the BRZ’s Toyota-derived direct- and port-injection heads. We think the 2013 BRZ is an extremely capable car and with its 200 hp powering the rear wheels, it is incredible well balanced and predicable. A version of the car that has an increase in power of 33% sounds like pure lunacy and we can’t wait to drive it.
    Stay tuned to Car Rolodex for Toyota’s TRD division when the step up to the microphone and announce that they will in fact be bolting a supercharger on to the same engine and equipping the FRS and GT-86 with it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

they've insisted that it will not be turbocharged... so i'm not sure how they'll maintain the 25/25/25/25 corner balance if they're going to add more power. that's one of the biggest selling point of this car -- the near perfect handling due to near perfect balance.
    the engine is already built with a square bore... i guess they're thinking they'll go for a short stroke motor and wind it to 9,000 rpm like honda's S2000 to get a few extra ponies.
    that's my prediction. STi will build an even higher revving engine.
    besides that, they'll probably lower the suspension, change the dampening, stiffen the sway bars and lighten the wheels.
    perhaps give it a freer flowing exhaust catback.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

i'd be wary of any article that spells it "boxster engine."
    i can assure you they've got their facts crossed.
    the WRX and WRX-STi will receive a turbocharged FA20.
    the BRZ and BRZ-STi will never see turbocharging until the aftermarket.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    i'd be wary of any article that spells it "boxster engine."
    i can assure you they've got their facts crossed.
    the WRX and WRX-STi will receive a turbocharged FA20.
    the BRZ and BRZ-STi will never see turbocharging until the aftermarket.
    They know what kind of audience their trying to reach with this car...

The forced induction crowd. I think the whole"the STI will be N/A thing" is just an attempt at them trying to stir up the fanbase and get more interest in the car and debates going on car forums.

I think the HP figures quoted in the article may be a little strong especially considering the price point the BRZ is at, but I do think the STI will have a turbo on it.

I understand that a free revving N/A motor is a naturally better racing engine given the responsiveness, but with Subaru's expertise with turbo engines, I can't see why they would shoot themselves in the foot and limit the HP in the STI to 250 with the N/A motor.

MBTI
    yupp

first off I know nothing about cars, except they're suppose to go vroom! but anyways my car needs a new radiator the problem is it's 500-600 dollars to fix so basically my dad's been putting water and coolant in to the car but he;s going to show me where the radiator and the overfill resvoir cap is, so when the car over heats again i know where to put the stuff. It's a 2001 acura integra. I usually don't get under the hood i know enough people into cars that they're willing to check my oil and other maintence stuff for me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    first off I know nothing about cars, except they're suppose to go vroom! but anyways my car needs a new radiator the problem is it's 500-600 dollars to fix so basically my dad's been putting water and coolant in to the car but he;s going to show me where the radiator and the overfill resvoir cap is, so when the car over heats again i know where to put the stuff. It's a 2001 acura integra. I usually don't get under the hood i know enough people into cars that they're willing to check my oil and other maintence stuff for me.
    Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    They know what kind of audience their trying to reach with this car...

The forced induction crowd. I think the whole"the STI will be N/A thing" is just an attempt at them trying to stir up the fanbase and get more interest in the car and debates going on car forums.

I think the HP figures quoted in the article may be a little strong especially considering the price point the BRZ is at, but I do think the STI will have a turbo on it.

I understand that a free revving N/A motor is a naturally better racing engine given the responsiveness, but with Subaru's expertise with turbo engines, I can't see why they would shoot themselves in the foot and limit the HP in the STI to 250 with the N/A motor.
    consider it a bet then. i believe them when they say that the STi version will not be supercharged.
    maybe someday, but not in MY13/14/whatever year it finally comes out.

here's another thing for us to disagree on
    e32 > e36
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

re:
    just read the article.
    it doesn't say anywhere in the article that the BRZ will have a turbo.
    all it says is that the FA20 will be turbocharged.

that's not insider info, that's been common knowledge on NASIOC since *long* before the BRZ/FRS/FT9837459872938472 went on sale.
    in any case, i'd test drive one of the new wrx/STis [those legacies are hot too...] to feel the torque.
    i'm worried about the torque loss w/ the 2L engine, but there's all kinds of weirdness that comes along with GDI that might allow us tuner types to bypass the whole displacement thing. ['til we start upgrading our turbo's]

turbocharged FA20 i am excited about.
    arousal over a BRZ in any form remains to be seen.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    consider it a bet then.
    Bet accepted.

here's another thing for us to disagree on
    e32 > e36
    Blasphemy!

I actually have heard that argument made, and would have to drive both to answer that for myself. That being said, I prefer the stock HP figures in the e36 line and also the visual styling.

I love cars though, and BMW's in particular, so I'm just splitting hairs at this point.