Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default What is electricity?

“The day when we shall know exactly what “electricity” is, will chronicle an event probably greater, more important than any other recorded in the history of the human race. The time will come when the comfort, the very existence, perhaps, of man will depend upon that wonderful agent.”

“We are whirling through endless space, with and inconceivable speed, all around everything is spinning, everything is moving, everywhere there is energy. There must be some way of availing ourselves of this energy more directly. Then, with the light obtained from the medium, with the power derived from it, with every form of energy obtained without effort, from the store forever inexhaustible, humanity will advance with giant strides. The mere contemplation of these magnificent possibilities expand our minds, strengthens our hopes and and fills our hearts with supreme delight.”

“So astounding are the facts in this connection, that it would seem as though the Creator, himself had electrically designed this planet...” - Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hitler wouldnt have said it any better but, we know what electricity is.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Electricity if I am correct is, like light, a manifestation of the electro-magnetic force. I think there is a debate about whether light is a wave, a particle, or a wave-particle duality. It is also a mystery how light is beyond the constraints of time, because in Einstein's Theory of Relativity time stands still for a beam of light, and according to known science it is impossible to accelerate an object to the speed of light because to do so the object would need infinite mass. Because of these mysterious and seemingly metaphysical processes of light that we do not fully comprehend its true nature remains unknown. Since electricity is connected to light, and we do not fully comprehend what light is, and if the entire universe is electric, then we do not understand what the universe and its electric forces really are.

To make the jump from science to philosophy, in religion God is defined as the ultimate light. This may mean that God is beyond time, and he is the reference point all things are compared against since in relativity everything is measured in relation to the speed of light, and God is also at the ultimate level, because he needs no further evolution, and since evolution occurs over time and time stands still for God because he needs no further time to evolve. Light, electricity, and water are all living and flowing entities, shape shifting into the physical world of infinite evolutionary transformations. These forces hold the secrets of creation.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

the movement of electrons.

it's not that mystical.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I think there is a debate about whether light is a wave, a particle, or a wave-particle duality. It is also a mystery how light is beyond the constraints of time, because in Einstein's Theory of Relativity time stands still for a beam of light, and according to known science it is impossible to accelerate an object to the speed of light because to do so the object would need infinite mass.
    particles can move in wave form. its just that when the particle interacts with something else, it loses its wave form. larger mass particles interact easier with things, so they lose their wave form very easily or dont even travel in wave form. mass of light particle(to my knowledge there is no debate about whether light is a particle or not, might had bee i the 80's or so tho) on the other hand is so small that it can freely travel in wave form, because the small mass of light doesent interact with other things very easily. afaik, any particle(size isnt an obstacle) is able to be in wave form, as long as its not interacting with anything else(items that are mass of particles, like plastic or gold for example are interacting with each other all the time, thats why you can make your rolex be in wave form).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah even I'm against ya on this one bro. Only place I disagree w your detrsctors is when waves interact with systems that cause them to collapse it is also possible the wave function is diffracted to different quantum realities.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

He's talking about decoherence, though apparently in his universe light particles have mass. It wouldn't be an INTP post if he didn't embarrass himself. I really wish he'd change his name.

Smile One Electron, One God

I dunno, I've noticed that one electron is like any other electron, just as in the dark, all cats are grey. And not only is one electron like any other electron, they are identical, they are so identical, they are interchangeable. This is an impenetrable mystery until we realise that all electrons appear to be the same because they are the same one electron.

Yes, in the entire universe there is only one electron. And it is an extraordinary beast as it transcends time and space and is everywhere, in all time, at once.

So just as we have Monotheism, we now have Monoelectronism.

I think of electricity as the result of having charges.

If the charges are stationary, then we have static electricity (static electric fields, voltages, etc.).

If charge is moving, then we have a sort of current. If there is a net motion of charge then we will have a net current.

Moving charge can also create electromagnetic radiation.

But what really is "electricity"? I think of it is either the electromagnetic signal being transmitted, or the energy carried by that signal.

I share the same wonderment as @RaptorWizzard.

We have some answers, but we can always go deeper down the rabbit hole. It is at least mysterious and fascinating to me, perhaps even mystical.

I know people have worked out Quantum Electrodynamics and Quantum Field Theory, but I cannot claim to understand either of these things.

I personally think, the common notion of electricity as "the movement of electrons" , like what @Randomnity said, is misleading.

Yes, electrons (if we conceive of them as particles) move in a wire (on average, slower than a snail's pace), but a signal is transmitted from end to end a lot faster (over half the speed of light). In the case of alternating current, the electrons don't really move on average.

In integrated circuits at least, electromigration, is a rather big issue. But if electrons were moving very quickly through the wires, the electrons would damage or destroy the wires much faster than they do.

The analogy I once had as kid was that of a wave propagating through a "sea-of electrons", like ocean waves moving through water. But I now think that to be inaccurate, because the signal is an electromagnetic wave (and electromagnetic waves do not necessarily need a medium).

As far as the relation of all this to quantum mechanics, I am not sure what to make of it.

I know the Drude model (which I implicitly used in my above thoughts) has issues related to heat-capacity, among other things. So quantum mechanics must be taken into account.

The conduction/valence band of a metal can be considered a Fermi gas (a gas of Fermions--in this case electrons). In this case, the electrons are considered wave packets that scatter off of impurities or vibrations in an otherwise perfect crystal of copper ions (instead of "hard sphere" collisions of electrons with ions).

It is also true, like @Victor mentioned that these valence band electrons would be indistinguishable.

I learned about all this in my QM, solid-state, and device physics classes. But, it still seems to me that the corrections that QM makes keeps drift velocities of the electrons (if you consider the group velocities of the wave packets) on the same order of magnitude as before, while signal propagation happens at over half the speed of light in copper.

So, I guess you could say that I still don't understand electricity, and I used to design circuits for a living.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

For all those interested, start here. Learn from the master.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDP_8X5Hug"].[/YOUTUBE]
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.