User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 45

  1. #1
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default Is the Ipad worth buying?

    What do you think?
    For reading purposes, mostly, is there a better alternative?
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  2. #2
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    not worth spending the money on really... if you're getting it primarily for the purpose of reading I'd suggest a kindle fire... you still have internet access and it's made primarily for reading, but you can do other things on it as well

    otherwise I'd suggest saving your money and getting one of the android based tablets... they all come equipped with a kindle app, they all have full android app capabilities and wifi and they, on average, cost a lot less than an i-pad (and more of the apps are free as well... which tends to be a good thing if you are fond of being able to try them out and discard them)

    the man got an i-pad as a gift a while back and I'm not particularly impressed and neither is he... I use an android tablet for work which cost quite a bit less and I can do everything on it that he can do and some of the apps that he pays for are free for me... I also use the kindle on it and it works perfectly fine for reading books!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I like my iPad but not for reading. It's too bulky. Listen to whatever.

  4. #4
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    I have an iPad 2 but refuse to upgrade as I think the boo-coo "retina display" is insufficient to justify the expense.

    I have an iPad because I have an iPhone and use iCloud services for my business so haveing an iPad while wandering around is useful as I keep everything with me. It's handy to write up a report or something on my iPad and have that stream over via iCloud to my Mac at the office
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  5. #5
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    I hardly use mine now. I did think it great when I first got it. It's good for watching movies and clips. I understand the i pad 3 is bulkier though, which I would think defeats the purpose. Seriously, I'd go with a non apple product.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I have an iPad 2 but refuse to upgrade as I think the boo-coo "retina display" is insufficient to justify the expense.

    I have an iPad because I have an iPhone and use iCloud services for my business so haveing an iPad while wandering around is useful as I keep everything with me. It's handy to write up a report or something on my iPad and have that stream over via iCloud to my Mac at the office
    google offers the same service... I am always sending things between my computer and phone wirelessly... and I'm obsessed with google chrome
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #7
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    google offers the same service... I am always sending things between my computer and phone wirelessly... and I'm obsessed with google chrome
    It does, but I had a Mac and an iPhone so when iCloud came out, an iPad just seemed like the next logical step for mobile computing.

    That being said, if I had had an android phone then I would have kept my Zoom, for the same reason.

    To the OP: I'd say it depends on what your needs are. Unless you have things that are specific to iOS, then a droid tablet I think would suit you just fine.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  8. #8
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Thanks everybody. Btw I'd need one with 3G. Free wi-fi spots here are rare.
    The weight probably wouldn't be a problem - I'm planning to buy a support for max reading efficiency. And since everybody buys the ipad, chances are I will find the best accessories if I choose it.
    But the price is sick...I don't wanna regret this decision.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  9. #9
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    It does, but I had a Mac and an iPhone so when iCloud came out, an iPad just seemed like the next logical step for mobile computing.

    That being said, if I had had an android phone then I would have kept my Zoom, for the same reason.

    To the OP: I'd say it depends on what your needs are. Unless you have things that are specific to iOS, then a droid tablet I think would suit you just fine.
    I've always been a pc person and therefore the idea of having the ability to move things between my computer, phone and tablet are pretty awesome... and through the home stereo system

    of course the brands that I'm obsessively in love with cater to that as well... I adore motorola and toshiba... I really do
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #10
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Thanks everybody. Btw I'd need one with 3G. Free wi-fi spots here are rare.
    The weight probably wouldn't be a problem - I'm planning to buy a support for max reading efficiency. And since everybody buys the ipad, chances are I will find the best accessories if I choose it.
    But the price is sick...I don't wanna regret this decision.
    it's cheaper to buy the accessories on amazon or ebay than to go to any stores anyways... I never advocate to people the idea of buying their accessories at the stores because they're super overpriced

    if you need the 3g service, I'd check around with the local cell phone companies to see what sort of deals they are offering on tablet computers with a contract for internet service... you can get some pretty awesome deals on tablets that way... though I'm still suggesting buying your accessories online

    (I work in this industry and therefore am PAID to know this shit! )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. What is the Democratic Party worth? nothing
    By SearchingforPeace in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 04:28 PM
  2. [INFJ] Is the Truth Worth It?
    By fill in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 11:41 PM
  3. What is the craziest bit of technology you have read about in SF?
    By macjoven in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
  4. What is the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
    By ladypinkington in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 11:42 PM
  5. What is the point of the MBTI?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO