• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is the Ipad worth buying?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think?
For reading purposes, mostly, is there a better alternative?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
not worth spending the money on really... if you're getting it primarily for the purpose of reading I'd suggest a kindle fire... you still have internet access and it's made primarily for reading, but you can do other things on it as well :yes:

otherwise I'd suggest saving your money and getting one of the android based tablets... they all come equipped with a kindle app, they all have full android app capabilities and wifi and they, on average, cost a lot less than an i-pad (and more of the apps are free as well... which tends to be a good thing if you are fond of being able to try them out and discard them) :)

the man got an i-pad as a gift a while back and I'm not particularly impressed and neither is he... I use an android tablet for work which cost quite a bit less and I can do everything on it that he can do and some of the apps that he pays for are free for me... I also use the kindle on it and it works perfectly fine for reading books! :shrug:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an iPad 2 but refuse to upgrade as I think the boo-coo "retina display" is insufficient to justify the expense.

I have an iPad because I have an iPhone and use iCloud services for my business so haveing an iPad while wandering around is useful as I keep everything with me. It's handy to write up a report or something on my iPad and have that stream over via iCloud to my Mac at the office :)

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hardly use mine now. I did think it great when I first got it. It's good for watching movies and clips. I understand the i pad 3 is bulkier though, which I would think defeats the purpose. Seriously, I'd go with a non apple product.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have an iPad 2 but refuse to upgrade as I think the boo-coo "retina display" is insufficient to justify the expense.

I have an iPad because I have an iPhone and use iCloud services for my business so haveing an iPad while wandering around is useful as I keep everything with me. It's handy to write up a report or something on my iPad and have that stream over via iCloud to my Mac at the office :)

google offers the same service... I am always sending things between my computer and phone wirelessly... and I'm obsessed with google chrome :ninja:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
google offers the same service... I am always sending things between my computer and phone wirelessly... and I'm obsessed with google chrome :ninja:

It does, but I had a Mac and an iPhone so when iCloud came out, an iPad just seemed like the next logical step for mobile computing.

That being said, if I had had an android phone then I would have kept my Zoom, for the same reason.

To the OP: I'd say it depends on what your needs are. Unless you have things that are specific to iOS, then a droid tablet I think would suit you just fine.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks everybody. :) Btw I'd need one with 3G. Free wi-fi spots here are rare. :dry:
The weight probably wouldn't be a problem - I'm planning to buy a support for max reading efficiency. And since everybody buys the ipad, chances are I will find the best accessories if I choose it.
But the price is sick...I don't wanna regret this decision. :cry:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It does, but I had a Mac and an iPhone so when iCloud came out, an iPad just seemed like the next logical step for mobile computing.

That being said, if I had had an android phone then I would have kept my Zoom, for the same reason.

To the OP: I'd say it depends on what your needs are. Unless you have things that are specific to iOS, then a droid tablet I think would suit you just fine.

I've always been a pc person and therefore the idea of having the ability to move things between my computer, phone and tablet are pretty awesome... and through the home stereo system :wubbie:

of course the brands that I'm obsessively in love with cater to that as well... I adore motorola and toshiba... I really do :heart:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks everybody. :) Btw I'd need one with 3G. Free wi-fi spots here are rare. :dry:
The weight probably wouldn't be a problem - I'm planning to buy a support for max reading efficiency. And since everybody buys the ipad, chances are I will find the best accessories if I choose it.
But the price is sick...I don't wanna regret this decision. :cry:

it's cheaper to buy the accessories on amazon or ebay than to go to any stores anyways... I never advocate to people the idea of buying their accessories at the stores because they're super overpriced :nono:

if you need the 3g service, I'd check around with the local cell phone companies to see what sort of deals they are offering on tablet computers with a contract for internet service... you can get some pretty awesome deals on tablets that way... though I'm still suggesting buying your accessories online :whistling:

(I work in this industry and therefore am PAID to know this shit! :cheese:)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always been a pc person and therefore the idea of having the ability to move things between my computer, phone and tablet are pretty awesome... and through the home stereo system :wubbie:

of course the brands that I'm obsessively in love with cater to that as well... I adore motorola and toshiba... I really do :heart:

Likewise :) in fact, I often have to switch to my Windows laptop because of some of the things my Mac can't do or doesn't do as well. Moving things between all of my systems was/is one of the reasons I have my current set up :)

I've come to like macs though. Shame they're so damned expensive.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Likewise :) in fact, I often have to switch to my Windows laptop because of some of the things my Mac can't do or doesn't do as well. Moving things between all of my systems was/is one of the reasons I have my current set up :)

I've come to like macs though. Shame they're so damned expensive.

I've never actually been a fan of the user interface or the hardware for any mac product... they all feel like toys to me somehow, which really annoys me in a way... I can't take something seriously if I feel like it's designed for someone who's 6 years old somehow :ninja: that combined with not liking the idea of a corporation telling me what I can or can't do with my piece of technology really tends to irk me, and macs have some fairly strict ideas about what one can and can't do with their pieces of technology... if I owned any mac products you can bet anything that I'd have it jailbroken within a day :laugh:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(I work in this industry and therefore am PAID to know this shit! :cheese:)
I was thinking to myself ''Whoa, you didn't seem that geeky'' :D
Good advices. 3G access won't be a problem, my father gets it for free and barely uses it. :cheese:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was thinking to myself ''Whoa, you didn't seem that geeky'' :D
Good advices. 3G access won't be a problem, my father gets it for free and barely uses it. :cheese:

I'm a lot more geeky than I tend to let on, though more on the usage side than the technical "I'm taking this thing apart and making it work more efficiently" manner... I know how to root and jailbreak and the differences between OSs and UIs for different types of devices... it's actually kind of interesting :blush:

excellent... though I suppose that depends on what type of 3g because different types of tablets have different inputs... if you're talking about a 3g hotspot that's useful with all, if you're talking about a web connect stick that can't really be used with any of them :(

N

NPcomplete

I find reading off of the ipad to be straining on the eyes because it's exactly like reading off of a computer. If you want something that you'll use mainly for reading. an ereader might be a good idea.

Of course you can't do the other stuff so it depends on what you'll be using the gadget most for.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if you're talking about a web connect stick that can't really be used with any of them :(
Seriously? Crap, I'm more noob than I thought. What's the basic difference between a ''wi-fi'' and ''3G'' tablet? Just the max speed? In Brazil we usually just use the word 3G for the web connect stick. :fpalm:
I find reading off of the ipad to be straining on the eyes because it's exactly like reading off of a computer. If you want something that you'll use mainly for reading. an ereader might be a good idea.
That's important info, thanks. :hug:

A

Anew Leaf

i think that [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] is the true epitome of what all women should strive to be. :coffee:

also, i would be interested in hearing more opinions on which ereader people like best. i am torn between the nook and the kindle. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seriously? Crap, I'm more noob than I thought. What's the basic difference between a ''wi-fi'' and ''3G'' tablet? Just the max speed? In Brazil we usually just use the word 3G for the web connect stick. :fpalm:
:

yeah... webconnect sticks require a USB port, which tablet computers tend to lack... they are wifi compatible, but they require devices like wifi hotspots where they can wirelessly connect instead... if your device does accept sim cards for wifi capability though, you can actually remove the sim card from your webconnect stick and use it in the tablet computer... provided that you go with one that you can manipulate that way easily (androids are MUCH easier to change around that way... their backs don't lock on with special screws and use micro sims) :thinking:

i think that [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] is the true epitome of what all women should strive to be. :coffee:

also, i would be interested in hearing more opinions on which ereader people like best. i am torn between the nook and the kindle. :)

opinionated on geeky matters? :ninja:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] Do you like the Xoom?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Hmm...I dunno if the terminology is different but here in the states the two words have different meanings.

"Wifi" means the device is capable to getting Internet service through connecting to a wireless network of some kind, be it a home wireless network, business, or a "hotspot" somewhere like at a cafe or bookstore or something. If you aren't anywhere near a wireless router of some kind (the device that transmits and receives wifi signals) then you are SoL and JwF for Internet. Connecting to the Internet via a Wifi hotpost of some sort is usually (but not always) faster and you normally don't have bandwidth restrictions whereas a lot of 3G service providers do.

"3G" or "4G", without getting too technical, refers to the signal service provided by whatever company you're using (AT&T, Verizon, etc) that will allow you to connect to the Internet anywhere they provide 3g service (which is almost anywhere they have phone service). The plus side of a 3G/4G service is that provide you're in a place where there is phone signal, you can get internet access, which is handy if you're on the go a lot. The downside is that speeds are not always up to par with what you'd get at a Wifi hotspot and most 3G/4G providers will charge you for the bandwidth you use. For example, AT&T charges me $25/mo for 2 gigs of bandwidth or something like that for my iPad (dunno the exact numbers, I just know I barely ever reach that number unless I decided to stream a lot of movies on my iPad) so if you go nuts with the media, you could end up paying for it.

You'll notice as such that Wifi only devices are cheapers than Wifi/3G or 4G capable devices and thats because while both can connect to Wifi hotspots and such, the ones with the 3G/4G capability have additional hardware that allow them to do that (or so I believe anyway. I could be horribly off on this).

If you're going to be using it for e-reading purpose, than I would say a Wifi only device will suit you find. Having that extra 3G is handy but only if you're looking to download something on the go or surf the internet while you're up and about but I dunno if the extra expense is worth it to you or not.