User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Could the internet develop consciousness-like emergent properties?

Hello guys

Entertaining myself while the guys are watching soccer

While consciousness is probably more of a selected trait of the human mind that couldnt arise completely spontaneously do you think that with the increasing complexity of the internet some emergent traits could be deemed conscious-like ?
    Due to the increasing speed and rate of communication between nods in the internet we could imagine that numerous patterns and units would lead to the emergence of type of meta-computational ability.

Do you think some of the softwares and new technologies used to regular data within the internet could make this possible?

Do you believe that the size and sheer complexity of the network could lead to this spontaneously?

How could we detect it ? The way the human mind is conscious is very directed: its about communication and solving problems but if this consciousness in the absence of a guiding natural selection I am not sure that even though most of the content is, on our end intelligible in terms of text, video content etc that this emergent structure would necessarily communicate as we do. Why? Well we don't speak in chemicals and electric charges yet that's what the stuff that happens when we think and talk and have sex on the beach (definitely not my thing, sand and voyeurs arent my thing!)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Hello guys

Entertaining myself while the guys are watching soccer

While consciousness is probably more of a selected trait of the human mind that couldnt arise completely spontaneously do you think that with the increasing complexity of the internet some emergent traits could be deemed conscious-like ?
    Due to the increasing speed and rate of communication between nods in the internet we could imagine that numerous patterns and units would lead to the emergence of type of meta-computational ability.

Do you think some of the softwares and new technologies used to regular data within the internet could make this possible?

Do you believe that the size and sheer complexity of the network could lead to this spontaneously?

How could we detect it ? The way the human mind is conscious is very directed: its about communication and solving problems but if this consciousness in the absence of a guiding natural selection I am not sure that even though most of the content is, on our end intelligible in terms of text, video content etc that this emergent structure would necessarily communicate as we do. Why? Well we don't speak in chemicals and electric charges yet that's what the stuff that happens when we think and talk and have sex on the beach (definitely not my thing, sand and voyeurs arent my thing!)
    I think some combination of new technologies processing human feedback may accidentally evolve into some kind of bizarre consciousness in the aether. I'll have to think about that more, to offer any more detailed ideas, but I think it's possible.. in the distant future.

..and when that time comes, we must wait for Will Smith.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

Well computers already bear same behavioral traits as human beings. They have goals, which seem like desires. They strategize until they reach those goals. However, while they are guided by information, humans are guided by what they believe. Humans are distinguished by how they evaluate the information they process. From a strictly physicalist point of view, a human death entails human loss of consciousness in the same way a TV stops functioning as a whole once it makes impact with the ground. The awareness ceases to be, in both cases.

If artificial intelligence spontaneously arose, then I think it would be seen through patterns in how the technology was behaving. Unless it already worked on an imperative to be hidden, I think it would probably do something stupidly and be noticed as long as its level of consciousness was relatively low. If it gained self awareness and disguised itself accordingly, then it would be intelligent indeed. I think someone would have to design something like that.

I think this is one of those cases where the argument about the tornado collecting scrap metal and forming a jet airliner makes more sense than not. However, I think different sorts of consciousness may emerge. No reason why not, especially given enough time to stew.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Are you talking about The Singularity?

I don't believe it can happen spontaneously, no. It's hard enough to get computers to behave intelligently with a massive amount of effort.

EDIT. Also complexity says nothing about intelligence. Quite the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Are you talking about The Singularity?

I don't believe it can happen spontaneously, no. It's hard enough to get computers to behave intelligently with a massive amount of effort.

I wasnt implying a belief or disbelief b ut wanted to start a discussion
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

Would you qualify Cleverbot as an attempt to do this? From what I know, Cleverbot learns from the interactions humans have with it, and processes this information to mimic a real conversation. The Turing test is used to estimate how close the bot is to a real human.

Me, I don't believe machines will ever achieve true consciousness. To be conscious is to spontaneously ask yourself questions: machines can't do that, the questions they're "asking" themselves have to be set by their creators.
    However we'll likely see conscious-like machines in the near-future that will appear as conscious to most people.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Something like this?

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    To be conscious is to spontaneously ask yourself questions: machines can't do that, the questions they're "asking" themselves have to be set by their creators.
    However we'll likely see conscious-like machines in the near-future that will appear as conscious to most people.
    I dont understand what is the logical necessity for this. What if you could create a human brain. Would it lack consciousness? and if so why ? Are you implying dualism?

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post

Yeah but run a shanon entropy plot on the complexity of say languages and you ll see that dolphins etc come no where near humans and we just so happen to also be the guys with the thunder sticks and the harpoons and the spaceships

... In theory.

NPcomplete

I think it's possible for software to eventually mimic humans but chances are, the imitation will not be an accurate reflection of consciousness.