MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I keep a lot to my greedy self :}
    Greedy or not, it is more likely because the news story at Physorg is only a day old as of right now:
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-...ty-wiring.html
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Greedy or not, it is more likely because the news story at Physorg is only a day old as of right now:
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-...ty-wiring.html
    hmmm, odd. Must've been somewhere else. I was even discussing it with another forum member... Alright, I'll give you this one because I'm, as I said, too lazy to argue. Thanks for the links, however.

Yeah. There were older stories posted on the web claiming they knew the reason for the result (that neutrinos were measured to be faster than light). But, apparently, those older stories were less substantiated.

For those talking about "stupid mistakes", the people at CERN aren't exactly doing a high school science experiment.

That something simple like a slow connection could lead to the result is not surprising, but imagine the amount of stuff they had to consider, and test, before thinking about this hypothesis. They still have to do work to convince themselves (and many others) that this was indeed the reason.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Yeah. There were older stories posted on the web claiming they knew the reason for the result (that neutrinos were measured to be faster than light). But, apparently, those older stories were less substantiated.

For those talking about "stupid mistakes", the people at CERN aren't exactly doing a high school science experiment.

That something simple like a slow connection could lead to the result is not surprising, but imagine the amount of stuff they had to consider, and test, before thinking about this hypothesis. They still have to do work to convince themselves (and many others) that this was indeed the reason.
    So how does tightening a fiber optic connection make the neutrinos appear to be traveling 10 ns slower? I would assume that they are not traveling through the fiber optic itself as they cannot be constrained in this manner.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    So how does tightening a fiber optic connection make the neutrinos appear to be traveling 10 ns slower? I would assume that they are not traveling through the fiber optic itself as they cannot be constrained in this manner.
    The way I read it was that the connection between the GPS unit doing the measurement and their computer. I don't really know how they instrumented it, and I am not sure how things work in optics.. But I have run in to similar issues when using instruments like BERTs, oscilloscopes, and even logic analyzers. Calibrating for cables used in measurement is always a pain.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield