• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Laser Driven Hard Drives

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you think this will kill the SSD market if it comes to fruition? Especially since SSD is already maturing in the market. I didnt see any number comparisons in that article, it is interesting though. If they can read it with a light they could create an optical hard drive. then laminate the disk aperatus and make it removable...in essence creating some kind of compact disc based optical storage:laugh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That would work wonders for tasks that are extremely processor intensive that creates a huge amount of data from very little input. That way the read and write match up with the demand. Makes you wonder what else can be created by light driven changes in magnetic fields.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would work wonders for tasks that are extremely processor intensive that creates a huge amount of data from very little input. That way the read and write match up with the demand. Makes you wonder what else can be created by light driven changes in magnetic fields.

I don't know. That's a technical detail to be "ironed" out. But the effect has been known for perhaps decades in geological circles. When magnetized iron turns molten it loses its magnetic properties. The question was how this would work in harddrives, randomly or predictably.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think this will kill the SSD market if it comes to fruition? Especially since SSD is already maturing in the market. I didnt see any number comparisons in that article, it is interesting though. If they can read it with a light they could create an optical hard drive. then laminate the disk aperatus and make it removable...in essence creating some kind of compact disc based optical storage:laugh:

If only SSD worked better. I haven't heard much good about it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What about dust? Wouldn't that gum up the works? Dust on the lens too.