User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Touchable holograms

I worked with holograms actually, being an international man of mystery and all. That's the sort of things that can currently be done.

Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Wow. I'm noticing how much gaming technology inspires and becomes retooled for grander purposes by academics and scientists.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Wow. I'm noticing how much gaming technology inspires and becomes retooled for grander purposes by academics and scientists.
    You've been setting urself up as a hub for discourse lately. Comes off in the way you communicate.

Why do you say gaming technology , I mean the xbox thingie is all about turning body language into commands but that's neither holography nor 'touchless touch'

I would say the concept of 'play' is central to human life. We after all have the ability to project and simulate possible outcomes and realities. Games are an effect and extension of this.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Thats pretty cool, at least when they get it working properly and possibly develope it so that you can create objects that feel solid and can be used as solid objects in certain area.

But the thing im waiting for the most is a machine like sampo(a device that is able to produce endless goods), which should be possible in the future. Now you might say "impossible", but this has been actually been studied for a while and would basically be sort of a printer that basically smashes something into its building blocks and rearranges the blocks to create totally new object, so basically you would just need some nano ink and a code that tells how to rearrange the "ink" to create object out of it, that you could eat or use as clothing or what ever.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

would it have limited applications? could it copy itself or just work on bigger scales than its components. Would it use physical builders, a combination of physical quanta and magnetic fields. Would it ionise the construction material itself and then manipulate it would it deposit monomolecular layers of stuff. would it assemble the things in its entirety or would you use multiple technologies or 'resolutions' (you don't need as precise a building tech the casing of whatever you're building as for its electronics)
    so many questions.

*reads the rest of the post*
    right. I think you overstated endless goods.
    Also it's all about efficiency. it depends on the type of society we have in the future. Say if we had fusion tech we could create the materials themselves, but as far as we can extract them from the soil it's not worth it. Then even if we just use up some resources we can always extract materials from asteroids.

To go back to the touch thing the simplest tech would simply be a suit with pressure pads. You could adjust the resolution and amplitude of the pads to the sensititivity of the human body in these areas.
    The issue with that is obviously that you'd need one suit per person for full body feedback. Now most people would just need gloves, but it would be kind of unsanitary.

It makes sense that the Japanese who are so into cleanliness/bodily hygiene and such would work on a 'contactless touch' device.
    Last edited by EcK; 01-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Now it's the same thing than the builder you mentioned. It all depends at what level you want to focus. How fundamental the tech would be and the imperatives you are facing in terms of efficiency.

I guess the 'simplest' way would just be a direct and invasive technology physically connected to the nervous system. Now I don't see the present state of our culture accept that type of invasive tech and we dont have a fine enough control of magnetic fields etc to design a 'touchless touchless touch technology' if ya see my meaning.

... In theory.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    You've been setting urself up as a hub for discourse lately. Comes off in the way you communicate.

Why do you say gaming technology , I mean the xbox thingie is all about turning body language into commands but that's neither holography nor 'touchless touch'

I would say the concept of 'play' is central to human life. We after all have the ability to project and simulate possible outcomes and realities. Games are an effect and extension of this.
    I dont disagree, but Im referring to gaming as it is commonly understood which is as something separate from serious tech. It is becoming so prolific and advanced I have no doubt it will merge with public understanding of tech at large and among the indispensable tools that is apart of daily human life. I think our generation and below sees this overlap, but previous ones still think of gaming as child's play and not apart of the larger picture.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I dont disagree, but Im referring to gaming as it is commonly understood which is as something separate from serious tech.
    Well the same CPUs are used for work applications, similar GPUs (graphic processors) are used for lots of applications etc etc. The tech is surely 'serious tech' it is just used to a ludique end. Maths are still maths even if part of a sudoku
    It is becoming so prolific and advanced I have no doubt it will merge with public understanding of tech at large and among the indispensable tools that is apart of daily human life. I think our generation and below sees this overlap, but previous ones still think of gaming as child's play and not apart of the larger picture.
    I think that's a very large question.
    First it's about the way the medium evolves and will keep evolving as a outlet for leisure, a creative medium, a way to socialize and pass the time and even in some still rare cases as a way to earn a living or at least generate income for its users.

then when you talk about the public understanding, it all depends on what is considered to be the representative public here.
    Also I doubt most people even consistently think of anything like 'the larger picture' when it comes to trends in technological change. There is generally a willing myopia made evident by policies that focus more on biases than the good of the system, i would expect any willing effort from 'the public' to see the greater picture would lead, in time, to a shift in ppl's perception of what is good and desirable
    Last edited by EcK; 01-29-2012 at 05:47 AM.

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

To continue with the whole trends in technological change and the public's perception of it. You mention the public's perception and related a widespread acceptance of these techs as 'serious applications'.
    But let me posit the idea that the public's acquaintance with technology is mostly ludique and social: it's your awesome wrist Ipod you (not, not me, that would be clumsy) keep jumping into the pool with (ahem : P ), it's the laptop you multitask on or spend hours googling stuff with because you just got obsessed with the link between quantum entanglement and Buddhist philosophies, it's the special effects in movies, your 3D TV, it's the cool idea that you might be able to afford a trip to the moon in your lifetime(and not the technical details).

... In theory.

figsfiggyfigs

Wow, this is going to be HUGE in the future.