• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Some Background Talk About Ambient Noise

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm making a small study of ambient noise, the types of sounds that people find soothing or at least background and why. I'll have to do some searches to see if any studies have been done, but I suppose I had always tied the idea of background noise to its lack of strong pattern.

Our minds are trained to focus and be roused on certain things, abrupt noises, sounds at certain pitches, repeating sounds. I seems that what we consider ambient avoids all these. There's also a learned component to what we consider ambient, like police sirens in the city, or the smoke detector needing a battery change in a P's room. :ninja:.

What's ambient to you, what is pleasantly ambient, what is surprisingly ambient? Any other additional ideas on the subject?

Anymore I find the sound of people walking by my window, talking at 1 a.m. unobtrusive and even kind of pleasantly familiar.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I like natural sounds, like running water, rain, waves, and wind in the trees. Those are the most soothing to me. Birds too.