• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recreating Woolly Mammoths: Good, Bad, or Other?

Do you think recreating woolly mammoths is ...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's so unethical to plant a woolly mammoth embryo into an elephant...NOT. seriously, how could this possibly even be considered unethical?
I think it's awesome though. while they're at it, why don't we clone some other ice age animals like barbourofelis, the dire wolf and the short faced bear (I'm from all the 1000s of bones found in the La Brea tar pits, we can find at least of one each species with enough genetic material left to clone) who knows? maybe we'll even be able to clone neanderthals =P

93JC

I think it's pointless to debate whether cloning a mammoth is 'good' or 'bad', and the results of the poll bear this out; most people voted other. It's not bad, it's good, it just 'is'.

Personally I don't have a problem with it. At the end of the day it's just one animal. Ethically maybe it's a little cruel to bring this solitary specimen to life for the sake of studying it and displaying it, but I suspect such a creature would be one of the best cared for in the world. It would be worth too much money to treat poorly.

I find the idea of bringing back a mammoth scientifically interesting, possibly useful as a testbed for more advanced cloning/reproductive techniques that might be adapted to other uses. Anyone who think that the species itself could be brought back is stretching their imagination.

First of all it would be extremely difficult to bring back a functioning population that could reproduce on its own. Chances are it would take several attempts (I read somewhere about attempts cloning cattle being successful only 30% of the time) to get a living specimen as a result. Finding enough viable DNA to create one mammoth is hard enough. Finding enough to create a group that wouldn't soon inbreed and die out would be an order of magnitude even more difficult.

Secondly, even if you did create a viable herd of mammoths, they won't behave like mammoths from the Pleistocene did. They can't. The idea they could only holds true if you believe they'd have some sort of instinct that would guide their behaviour innately and the likelihood of that being true is remote at best. A mammoth was probably not significantly 'dumber' than a modern-day elephant, and elephants learn all sorts of social behaviours from adults in their herds. Would a cloned mammoth that bred with another cloned mammoth learn how to care for that infant mammoth? How would it? It would have never seen another mammoth care for an infant. At best it might learn behaviour from an elephant surrogate but an elephant surrogate will teach it how to be an elephant, not a mammoth.

You can't really bring back an extinct species. You might be able to make copies of extinct animals (and contrary to some assertions above they would be copies, not some hairy franken-elephant, despite using a little elephant DNA to fill in sequence gaps), but the species will never be back. Not as it was. And why would you want to? To set right a 'wrong' that our ancestors from thousands of years ago committed in extinguishing the mammoth? It's a pretty specious argument to begin with. Humans were particularly rare back then; it's not likely we over-hunted mammoths. Dozens of megafauna like the mammoth went extinct around the same time. It's not coincidence. We didn't kill the mammoth, mastodon, giant beaver, ground sloth, sabre-toothed cat, American lion, short-faced bear, giant bison, etc. off. Probably not any of these species, let alone one.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION] Well, as for your first remark, discussion forums frequently engage in debate. I disagree that it's pointless, but I'm sure opinions diverge on the point of debating this topic or any other itself. (Is debate something other than at-odds opinions exchanged in turn?)

Also, the number of mammoth(s) to be created has not been shared publicly. I imagine 1 will be difficult as it is.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Nature will find a way.

Indeed. :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM"]Life will find a way ...[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQVnVUe3i8"]Love this soundtrack ...[/YOUTUBE]

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
All I know is that this is going to make my winter backpacking much more interesting.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I voted other just because I liked the sound of it.

What's the worst that can happen? :whistling:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds awesome to me.

Now here's a much more interesting idea. How about bringing back the Neanderthal? :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't understand the utility of such a project, aside from perfecting cloning techniques. And as perfecting cloning techniques is likely to lead to human cloning, I find it among the most ethically reprehensible human endeavors ever imagined.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I reckon Mammoths would run on a lot of instinct, they might need a little human influence for a few generations but eventually the herd/herds would have a good social order (I reckon, based on nothing really).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After watching Jurassic Park for the 500th time, cloning prehistoric animals is very bad.

M_Kirch

One of many articles available on the story: http://news.discovery.com/animals/woolly-mammoth-cloned-111205.html

They've been openly talking about this since 2005 and it's looking more and more like it is going to happen. They've solicited zoos for reproductive tissue from dead elephants to fill in the missing links for the cloning process. They're even working on recreating the species' habitat.

What do you think about this? Is this progress? Is this dangerous? Is this ethical? Is this inevitable?

It's human nature.

Elisius

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't imagine any reason not to. It will allow us to better understand biology as a whole and evolutionary movements. Analyzing skeletons is one thing, to observe an actual specimen will give us great insight.
Also, it will help in researching more advanced cloning and genetic alteration, which could be used for some useful things in the future.

rav3n

Love the idea and see no reason why not, considering how woolly mammoths are of similar size to African elephants.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
This and "pizza becomes a vegetable" herald the end of the world.

I foresee terrible, terrible things happening when we mess with nature to that extent.

jurassic-park.jpg

And I'm not even religious.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[MENTION=1009]CzeCze[/MENTION]: Fine, you can spend Saturday at the boring zoo seeing the same animals you've seen since you were two! :mellow: ;) That's essentially the same as the end of the world to me.

@Post title: If we're going to resurrect them, we might as well allow them to have some recreation. :shrug:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand the utility of such a project, aside from perfecting cloning techniques. And as perfecting cloning techniques is likely to lead to human cloning, I find it among the most ethically reprehensible human endeavors ever imagined.

I'm in the bad-but-inevitable-so-let's-watch-advancements-closely-and-make-the-most-of-what-we-can camp. FWIW I agree that perfecting cloning is really the scientific community's endgame here and I'm scared that more people are not scared about the implications of such an endeavor. The consequences discussed in this thread are too myopic. I hope the global discussion isn't as well.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm looking forward to it. We have plenty to learn about evolutionary biology. And who can say no to a therapsid petting zoo?

rav3n

Something just occurred to me. Considering the evolution of the elephant's immune system, how would the more archaic immune system of the woolly mammoth handle today's bacterial and viral cultures?