User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think recreating woolly mammoths is ...?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

11 40.74%
  • Bad

7 25.93%
  • Other

9 33.33%
First 23456 Last

I was wrong about 2005 being the early discussion date. It appears this idea has been discussed publicly since before 2000.

http://stlr.stanford.edu/2000/03/res...oolly-mammoth/
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

After watching Jurassic Park for the 500th time, cloning prehistoric animals is very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    One of many articles available on the story: http://news.discovery.com/animals/wo...ed-111205.html

They've been openly talking about this since 2005 and it's looking more and more like it is going to happen. They've solicited zoos for reproductive tissue from dead elephants to fill in the missing links for the cloning process. They're even working on recreating the species' habitat.

What do you think about this? Is this progress? Is this dangerous? Is this ethical? Is this inevitable?
    It's human nature.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx

I can't imagine any reason not to. It will allow us to better understand biology as a whole and evolutionary movements. Analyzing skeletons is one thing, to observe an actual specimen will give us great insight.
    Also, it will help in researching more advanced cloning and genetic alteration, which could be used for some useful things in the future.

Love the idea and see no reason why not, considering how woolly mammoths are of similar size to African elephants.

MBTI
    GONE

This and "pizza becomes a vegetable" herald the end of the world.

I foresee terrible, terrible things happening when we mess with nature to that extent.

And I'm not even religious.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

@CzeCze: Fine, you can spend Saturday at the boring zoo seeing the same animals you've seen since you were two! That's essentially the same as the end of the world to me.

@Post title: If we're going to resurrect them, we might as well allow them to have some recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't understand the utility of such a project, aside from perfecting cloning techniques. And as perfecting cloning techniques is likely to lead to human cloning, I find it among the most ethically reprehensible human endeavors ever imagined.
    I'm in the bad-but-inevitable-so-let's-watch-advancements-closely-and-make-the-most-of-what-we-can camp. FWIW I agree that perfecting cloning is really the scientific community's endgame here and I'm scared that more people are not scared about the implications of such an endeavor. The consequences discussed in this thread are too myopic. I hope the global discussion isn't as well.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'm looking forward to it. We have plenty to learn about evolutionary biology. And who can say no to a therapsid petting zoo?

Something just occurred to me. Considering the evolution of the elephant's immune system, how would the more archaic immune system of the woolly mammoth handle today's bacterial and viral cultures?