User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think recreating woolly mammoths is ...?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    11 40.74%
  • Bad

    7 25.93%
  • Other

    9 33.33%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 54

  1. #11
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    ...FANTASTIC POST...
    100% WIN!!!

    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  2. #12
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Sounds like a huge waste of money. I don't see ethical issues though. As long as they don't put like 100 of those around to mess up the food chain, I'm ok with it.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  3. #13
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Sounds like a huge waste of money.
    Agreed, totally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I don't see ethical issues though.
    What about breeding an animal that is in effect doomed from the start?
    Unless they reach a certain number in population, the "mammoth herd" will eventually be negatively effected by in-breeding.
    I honestly don't think their lives would be very sustainable after the "honeymoon effect" of the experiment's novelty wore off.
    Just my .02.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    As long as they don't put like 100 of those around to mess up the food chain, I'm ok with it.
    If they are in Siberia, then only crops from that region would be effected.
    To my knowledge very little of the world's food supply is currently produced in Siberia.
    Maybe it will be in 100 years, but not now....
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  4. #14
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    "WOW! We fuckin' cloned mammoths!!!"
    OK, great. Now what are you going to do with them?
    I guess it depends on who "owns" them now, doesn't it?
    And what the basis of ownership relies on?

    * waiting for the Woolly Mammoth theme park, Woolly Mammoth hats with tusks, and the huge fluttering falling sign of 'When Woolly Mammoths Ruled the Earth!' when packs of mammoths run the globe unchecked in their wild bestial lust *

    Nature will find a way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    That's but one aspect of this issue.
    The entirety is far greater than habitat.
    Right. However, I was strictly responding to your comment "Creatures that size need sufficient terrain to flourish and prosper." because it did not appear that you had read the link I provided detailing the location, size, and composition of the habitat.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  6. #16
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Right. However, I was strictly responding to your comment "Creatures that size need sufficient terrain to flourish and prosper." because it did not appear that you had read the link I provided detailing the location, size, and composition of the habitat.
    OK, I see.
    I did read it, honestly I did.
    I immediately thought of how every little half-assed zoo has to have a LION or TIGER and keeps such great beasts in SHITTY LITTLE EXHIBITS.
    The people of the world will not go to Siberia to get helicopter tours of mammoths in their natural perma-frost terrain.
    No, the people of the world want to see a mammoth AS CLOSE TO HOME AS POSSIBLE.
    So, mammoth-clones will quickly be exhibited in zoos far outside thier *IDEAL* terrain of the Siberian park.
    Once they are bred, they will shortly after become less and less novel, and thus more and more prone to shady treatment for the sake of greed and novelty.
    Don't you think so?
    Maybe?
    Just a little bit?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  7. #17
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    What about breeding an animal that is in effect doomed from the start?
    ''Playing God'' isn't exactly new. We've been doing it for a while. Difference is it used to have a purpose.
    Unless they reach a certain number in population, the "mammoth herd" will eventually be negatively effected by in-breeding.
    I'm assuming they are going to be steriles. Sounds more likely.
    I honestly don't think their lives would be very sustainable after the "honeymoon effect" of the experiment's novelty wore off.
    Just my .02.
    Agreed.
    If they are in Siberia, then only crops from that region would be effected.
    To my knowledge very little of the world's food supply is currently produced in Siberia.
    Maybe it will be in 100 years, but not now....
    True.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  8. #18
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I guess it depends on who "owns" them now, doesn't it?
    And what the basis of ownership relies on?

    * waiting for the Woolly Mammoth theme park, Woolly Mammoth hats with tusks, and the huge fluttering falling sign of 'When Woolly Mammoths Ruled the Earth!' when packs of mammoths run the globe unchecked in their wild bestial lust *

    Nature will find a way.
    *Scribbles note that Jennifer is venture capitalist for Walt Disney World Mammoth Studios, LLC...***
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  9. #19
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Lets keep them at the beach

    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    OK, I see.
    I did read it, honestly I did.
    I immediately thought of how every little half-assed zoo has to have a LION or TIGER and keeps such great beasts in SHITTY LITTLE EXHIBITS.
    The people of the world will not go to Siberia to get helicopter tours of mammoths in their natural perma-frost terrain.
    No, the people of the world want to see a mammoth AS CLOSE TO HOME AS POSSIBLE.
    So, mammoth-clones will quickly be exhibited in zoos far outside thier *IDEAL* terrain of the Siberian park.
    Once they are bred, they will shortly after become less and less novel, and thus more and more prone to shady treatment for the sake of greed and novelty.
    Don't you think so?
    Maybe?
    Just a little bit?
    Given the extraordinary circumstances... and especially its location and invested parties, I have no doubt those holding the bill will endeavor to turn a profit on their creation.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Similar Threads

  1. Recreating Snorks: Good, Bad, or Other?
    By Totenkindly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 01:10 AM
  3. Richard Dawkins good guy or bad guy?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
  4. Good/bad people or good/bad deeds...
    By The Ü™ in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO