12 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Teach Me: Computers/Things Related Edition

Information on electronics welcome. I know way too little about computers and related things.

The initial reason for posting this is: I want to first be taught about Linux. I don't really know where to begin with questions, so whatever mini-lessons I can be given are much appreciated.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

For Linux, I recommend doing an Archlinux install. That's a good start. They have very good doc, and going through the motions will give you a glimpse into how Linux works. Don't be afraid of the command line.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    For Linux, I recommend doing an Archlinux install. That's a good start. They have very good doc, and going through the motions will give you a glimpse into how Linux works. Don't be afraid of the command line.
    Archlinux? I do already have Linux installed. I haven't died yet. Though the way my INTJ friend put it, it sounded like one wrong step and I might as well fall off a cliff.

Edit: I have Ubuntu. I like the African noises it makes when I start up my netbook.

Fyi- I have a netbook.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Archlinux? I do already have Linux installed. I haven't died yet. Though the way my INTJ friend put it, it sounded like one wrong step and I might as well fall off a cliff.
    A Linux install with compatible hardware and a good distro is very reliable. It's when something doesn't work out is when the cliff falling happens. Most Linux installs make it very easy for the end user, they give you everything you need to get going in one shot; You are pretty well insolated from the guts. Doing an Archlinux is a kind of ground up process. You start from the commandline and install what you need and configure it by hand. It's a good way to learn.

If you want to work with what you got, well, I'll have to come up with different advice. I've pretty much learned everything I know by attempting something and failing and getting myself out of the mess.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

A Linux install with compatible hardware and a good distro is very reliable. It's when something doesn't work out is when the cliff falling happens. Most Linux installs make it very easy for the end user, they give you everything you need to get going in one shot; You are pretty well insolated from the guts. Doing an Archlinux is a kind of ground up process. You start from the commandline and install what you need and configure it by hand. It's a good way to learn.

If you want to work with what you got, well, I'll have to come up with different advice. I've pretty much learned everything I know by attempting something and failing and getting myself out of the mess.
    I know a lot of people who are extremely adept with computers and related things learn that way. I just would rather not make my computer unusable in the process, being it is my lifeline for my online classes at school.

Doing the Archlinux set up sounds fun though. How do you know what you need? Do you use it?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I know a lot of people who are extremely adept with computers and related things learn that way. I just would rather not make my computer unusable in the process, being it is my lifeline for my online classes at school.

Doing the Archlinux set up sounds fun though. How do you know what you need? Do you use it?
    Yeah, I've got a netbook running Arch right now. It's my download and media server, I have it setup so I can get torrents started on it from my phone or any other internet location. As far as what you need, it completely depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Well, definitely be careful with your school computer. I've also learned the value of things that just work. Depending on how nerdy you want to get, you can get a cheap second system to play with. Linux can install on some very low spec (cheap) hardware.

Got any idea of what kinds of techno wizardry you want to accomplish?

Oh, here's something that came to mind. Get a book, or follow an online tutorial on shell scripting and learn that. That always comes in handy, and you'll get an introduction to the command line simultaneously.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Yeah, I've got a netbook running Arch right now. It's my download and media server, I have it setup so I can get torrents started on it from my phone or any other internet location. As far as what you need, it completely depends on what you are trying to do with it.
    I presume you have a smartphone? Since I don't really know what Archlinux can do, it is hard for me to determine what I want.

Well, definitely be careful with your school computer. I've also learned the value of things that just work. Depending on how nerdy you want to get, you can get a cheap second system to play with. Linux can install on some very low spec (cheap) hardware.
    Maybe when I have money Everything I am using is open source. Oh, it was advised that I don't really need antivirus software because Linux is attacked infrequently. Would you agree?

Got any idea of what kinds of techno wizardry you want to accomplish?
    Whatever is the most fun, which is subjective. Useful is always great of course.

Oh, here's something that came to mind. Get a book, or follow an online tutorial on shell scripting and learn that. That always comes in handy, and you'll get an introduction to the command line simultaneously.
    Shell scripting? I have much to learn. I'm going to research now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have ubuntu on both my desktop and my netbook. The netbook version is great - very streamlined and efficient use of space. I am no linux expert either, and have been working backwards a bit to learn. I can do most things I need using the graphical interface, then pick one every so often and explore how to do it using the command line and related files. That way, nothing ever gets truly messed up. There is lots of good linux info on the web - go surf. Whenever I have a problem, I just type the gist of it into Google, and get plenty of references that allow me to solve it fairly quickly, and learn in the process.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I presume you have a smartphone? Since I don't really know what Archlinux can do, it is hard for me to determine what I want.
    Yup, and it runs Linux also (Android). I don't mess with it much because it's one of the things that just has to work.

Maybe when I have money Everything I am using is open source. Oh, it was advised that I don't really need antivirus software because Linux is attacked infrequently. Would you agree?
    Yeah, there really isn't any need for antivirus.

Whatever is the most fun, which is subjective. Useful is always great of course.

Shell scripting? I have much to learn. I'm going to research now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have ubuntu on both my desktop and my netbook. The netbook version is great - very streamlined and efficient use of space. I am no linux expert either, and have been working backwards a bit to learn. I can do most things I need using the graphical interface, then pick one every so often and explore how to do it using the command line and related files. That way, nothing ever gets truly messed up. There is lots of good linux info on the web - go surf. Whenever I have a problem, I just type the gist of it into Google, and get plenty of references that allow me to solve it fairly quickly, and learn in the process.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I might even update new things I learn on here.

Time to research. But first, I must plan a visit with Harvard, BU and BC. Otherwise I will keep forgetting/putting off.