User Tag List

First 12

I'd recommend Slackware Linux.

Because of the name...

Actually, it's just because it's one of the older distros, and urges you to get more acquainted with using unix commands (from the console). Gentoo Linux or BSD is another good way to learn. With Gentoo, you'll be compiling a system from scratch - but you'll get acquainted with a lot commands and unix processes this way.

There's nothing particularly unique to learn about Linux if you go the Ubuntu (or similar) route. It's trying to be more GUI centric, and while it has a command line, the system itself doesn't encourage users into that kind of experience. You might as well use Macs or Windows then.

That's just me. I think it's best to learn with something basic, and maybe even with a complicated process to even set up.. something that makes you go "WTF?" and pushes you to find the problem to even get anything to work.

That is, if you want to really learn. Even I don't want to bother with learning more computer stuff these days. I just need to run apps.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'd recommend Slackware Linux.

Because of the name...

Actually, it's just because it's one of the older distros, and urges you to get more acquainted with using unix commands (from the console). Gentoo Linux or BSD is another good way to learn. With Gentoo, you'll be compiling a system from scratch - but you'll get acquainted with a lot commands and unix processes this way.

There's nothing particularly unique to learn about Linux if you go the Ubuntu (or similar) route. It's trying to be more GUI centric, and while it has a command line, the system itself doesn't encourage users into that kind of experience. You might as well use Macs or Windows then.

That's just me. I think it's best to learn with something basic, and maybe even with a complicated process to even set up.. something that makes you go "WTF?" and pushes you to find the problem to even get anything to work.

That is, if you want to really learn. Even I don't want to bother with learning more computer stuff these days. I just need to run apps.
    FYI, Arch is pretty close to being like a binary package version of Gentoo. I do like Gentoo. And Slack, well, yeah, that'll work too. That was my first distro.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    FYI, Arch is pretty close to being like a binary package version of Gentoo. I do like Gentoo. And Slack, well, yeah, that'll work too. That was my first distro.
    Yeah, that was the first one I used too. Way back in umm... 1995? Linux was barely out at that point.

I kind of hate myself for not taking more advantage of it. Linux became hugely popular as we know, and I was kind of an early adopter. I'd have some mad hacking skills by now if I had been serious about it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Yeah, that was the first one I used too. Way back in umm... 1995? Linux was barely out at that point.

I kind of hate myself for not taking more advantage of it. Linux became hugely popular as we know, and I was kind of an early adopter. I'd have some mad hacking skills by now if I had been serious about it.
    Yeah, wow, that was way ground floor. I think I did my first install in 1998. Well, anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into old codger talk. Well, dont' feel bad, I missed a lot of opportunities too.. or feel bad for both of us. Whatever.