User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I wonder what an 'Erbsenzähler' would be in english. Do you have an idea by chance @Nicodemus ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I wonder what an 'Erbsenzähler' would be in english. Do you have an idea by chance @Nicodemus ?
    @Little Linguist feel free to respond with a translation as well. My curiosity has been poked with this word.

As far as I can tell.. I feel science works the same way a math class does. You don't learn about unreal numbers right away. First, there are numbers. Then, there are bigger numbers. Then, you can combine numbers. Then you can divide them. Then you learn that there are equations that don't work out into perfect parts, and there are fractions of numbers. etc... It keeps snowballing into absolutes until you have a firm understanding of them, and you open a door into what is not so absolute.

Teaching science to be absolute is fine for people who will never use it--as long as you only use absolute scenarios. There is no point in teaching kids about things like what the weather may be like 50 years from now, when there's plenty of applicable information on the human body for instance. I think where educators get to teach students to question absolutes is in philosophy classes and psychology classes, where everything is subjective and nothing is ground in stone. Bringing up sciences in a class like that would be a better approach to it, imo.

As far as a good ole boy system... If it can happen in places like the government, the military, corporations, the work force, and even social circles.. I see no reason why science would be exempt to it.. and I argue that Doctors have this system the worst of all. How many doctors do you see promising this weight loss pill or that skin fix...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

http://www.dict.cc/?s=erbsenz%C3%A4hler

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Literally "pea counter". Nicodemus' reference lists both "beancounter" and "nitpicker", which are related but not the same. Beancounter is a derogatory term for an accountant, bookkeeper, or other financial record keeper who cannot see beyond the numbers in the ledger to the purpose of the enterprise. A nitpicker is someone who is very critical, but focuses on trivia and minutiae while missing the real substance of the issue, e.g. someone who sees the spelling and formatting errors in a document, while saying nothing about the content.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

An Erbsenzähler is just someone who is needlessly meticulous.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya thats what I mean. I talk about XYZ and then an intp comes in and corrects my semantics. Its frustrating

There is such a guy at my work and I have installed an automated forwarding for the mails he sends me to his own email adress. He still hasnt figured out what the problem is, but lately he came to me and told me that he cant send me mails no more. And I said: "Oh really ? What a shame !"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Holy crap ! Please do not spread that nonsense. It makes me puke in my mouth a bit.

There ISN'T ANYTHING that makes a law any "more true" , "above" or "better than" a theory. In science, laws can be changed JUST AS EASILY as theories. There is no hierarchy whatsoever.

Hypotheses, theories and laws are as different as apples, bananas and raspberries. They serve different roles. And once can NEVER turn into another. They differ in breadth, not level of support.

MYTH: Science models 'are real.'

Correction :This is a MYTH and a MISCONCEPTION! Models are ONLY PERCEIVED representatuions of reality. A good example is the particle theory of matter, which pictures atoms and molecules as tiny discrete balls that have elastic collisions. This is a model that explains a whole range of phenomena, BUT NO ONE has actually SEEN these tiny balls.

Science is BOTH a human invention and endeavor. It is VERY fallible. It is every bit as imperfect as we are. All of our science is childish compared to reality. Einstein himself said this.

Quote Originally Posted by Razwell View Post
    Holy crap ! Please do not spread that nonsense. It makes me puke in my mouth a bit.

There ISN'T ANYTHING that makes a law any "more true" , "above" or "better than" a theory. In science, laws can be changed JUST AS EASILY as theories. There is no hierarchy whatsoever.

Hypotheses, theories and laws are as different as apples, bananas and raspberries. They serve different roles. And once can NEVER turn into another. They differ in breadth, not level of support.

MYTH: Science models 'are real.'

Correction :This is a MYTH and a MISCONCEPTION! Models are ONLY PERCEIVED representatuions of reality. A good example is the particle theory of matter, which pictures atoms and molecules as tiny discrete balls that have elastic collisions. This is a model that explains a whole range of phenomena, BUT NO ONE has actually SEEN these tiny balls.

Science is BOTH a human invention and endeavor. It is VERY fallible. It is every bit as imperfect as we are. All of our science is childish compared to reality. Einstein himself said this.
    I am not sure what part of this two year old thread lead to its resurrection, nor do I know who you are addressing.

However, we've used electron microscopes to see individual atoms for decades now. In fact, we can even image the orbitals of a hydrogen atom. http://www.geek.com/science/research...-time-1556448/

So not only can we see atoms and molecules now, but we can get quite detailed pictures of them.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Have they really managed to go beyond the speed of light at CERN? I still don't believe it's possible in any meaningful way.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

figsfiggyfigs

No they haven't, there was a miscalculation on their part.