User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Windows all the way for me, because I can play around with it and tweak it to my standards. So it runs the way I want it to run. And it has the best compatibility with a lot of products on the market.

Sure enough it's also the most targeted by virusses, malware and adware, but I know my way around a pc enough to shield myself from that.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Windows all the way for me, because I can play around with it and tweak it to my standards. So it runs the way I want it to run. And it has the best compatibility with a lot of products on the market.
    Linux is also tweakable, at least the distributions I've read about and used (even though some argue that certain distributions, especially Ubuntu, aren't Linux after all). It's a well-known fact that making things work the way you want to in Linux is more difficult than in Windows and requires more effort/knowledge/whatever. I tried to have Ubuntu as the only OS installed on my laptop, but, yes, there are compatibility issues that emulators can't solve and there are bugs I couldn't really put up with. I'm now dual booting Ubuntu and Windows because:
    1. Linux has its advantages. They've been discussed before, most people know them already. Thus, I'd like to get more familiar with it and maybe I'll end up completely replacing Windows with some version of Ubuntu or open SUSE.
    2. I don't always have the time to browse Ubuntu forums, copy libraries from a Windows-based pc and other workarounds. Also, I don't always want to deal with who knows what kind of problems, so Windows can be more reliable from this point of view.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I use Windows for work and a Mac at home.
    Windows PC's are clunky and quirky to me. Macs used to be very reliable and hardy, but since they went away from Motorola chips to Intel, they are a lot more buggy. And I hate the platform integration that requires me to move music through Itunes, which frankly, is not a very good program at all.

Mac is Catholic. PC is Protestant. And Linux is Non Conformist.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Whut.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

http://blog.hunch.com/?p=45344
    Here's the result of a survey comparing the profiles of self-described Mac users and PC users. It can be slightly biased and the conclusions may be affected by several factors they didn't have in view, but it's interesting in a stereotypical and lighthearted way.

P.S: The survey is rather old, so chances are that many of you are already aware of it. Ignore my post in that case, I'm sorry to bring you "old news".

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I use Windows and have little issue with it. Windows seems to be compatible with more things than Apple or Linux is.
    I have seldom used Macs and I have never used Linux.
    I've used Windows for so long now, that I can't imagine switching over to another operating system, even if it might be better for some things. I don't want to deal with another learning curve.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Smile Religion, but not as we know it

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    Whut.
    @Arthur Schopenhauer

Insufficient consideration has been given to the new underground religious war which is modifying the modern world. It’s an old idea of mine, but I find that whenever I tell people about it they immediately agree with me.

The fact is that the world is divided between users of the Macintosh computer and users of MS-DOS compatible computers. I am firmly of the opinion that the Macintosh is Catholic and that DOS is Protestant. Indeed, the Macintosh is
    counter-reformist and has been influenced by the ‘ratio studiorum’ of the Jesuits. It is cheerful, friendly, conciliatory, it tells the faithful how they must proceed step by step to reach–if not the Kingdom of Heaven–the moment in which their document is printed. It is catechistic: the essence of revelation is dealt with via simple formulae and sumptuous icons. Everyone has a right to salvation.

DOS is Protestant, or even Calvinistic. It allows free interpretation of scripture, demands difficult personal decisions, imposes a subtle hermeneutics upon the user, and takes for granted the idea that not all can reach salvation. To make the system work you need to interpret the program yourself: a long way from the baroque community of revellers, the user is closed within the loneliness of his own inner torment.

You may object that, with the passage to Windows, the DOS universe has come to resemble more closely the counter-reformist tolerance of the Macintosh. It’s true: Windows represents an Anglican-style schism, big ceremonies in the cathedral, but there is always the possibility of a return to DOS to change things in accordance with bizarre decisions; when it comes down to it, you can decide to allow women and gays to be ministers if you want to…..

And machine code, which lies beneath both systems (or environments, if you prefer)? Ah, that is to do with the Old Testament, and is talmudic and cabalistic…

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

First, I like Macs. Therefore they are better. Windows has always sucked. Always. And I have used Windows a hell of a lot more than Macs. It is just an illustration of how unfair life is and how market forces sometimes end up affecting people in suboptimal ways. Our lives would all be better if we had Macs. Linux? I can't be bothered but my DVR runs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCXXIX View Post

If you are somewhat computer literate, are aware of security vulnerabilities and risks, are aware of downloads that could have a negative effect on your computer, are the type of person that researches a program (briefly, for security purposes) before downloading, and are the type of person that just wants everything to do to work and be very simple. Pick Windows.

If you are not computer literate, have no idea what a security risk looks like, if you download and install "cool" looking programs without giving any thought to where the program came from and who created said program. And you are the type of person who wants everything to be a simple as possible. Pick Mac.
    I completely disagree. There is a lot more malware targeting Windows than Macs. No comparison. There is a good reason. The cyber-criminals make a lot more money targeting Windows machines because they are so much more prevalent. It's not that the Mac is so much more secure. It's just that they are far less of a lucrative target.

So, if you want something that is easy to use, that is "instant on" (no long boot times, immediate start from sleep mode), you want to reduce security risks, and are willing to spend a little more money - then buy a Mac.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    So, if you want something that is easy to use, that is "instant on" (no long boot times, immediate start from sleep mode), you want to reduce security risks, and are willing to spend a little more money - then buy a Mac.
    If you want to do all this and spend less money, AND not be treated like an idiot by your own OS, use Linux.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...