• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Link Found Between Low IQ and Big Belly

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is interesting: "People who have a lower IQ may be less educated and have less of an understanding about how to eat healthy," she said.

This statement is based on a known study linking poor health with low IQ (and not with poverty or some other factor).

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Someone with a low IQ is not inherently going to be fat, but obviously someone less educated isn't as likely to know about good nutritional habits.That's pretty a pretty obvious assumption, if you ask me.

It's amazing the kinds of startlingly obvious things "studies" manage to find a "link" between.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it is a little bit disturbing to me that IQ testing is mandated.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Someone with a low IQ is not inherently going to be fat, but obviously someone less educated isn't as likely to know about good nutritional habits.That's pretty a pretty obvious assumption, if you ask me.

It's amazing the kinds of startlingly obvious things "studies" manage to find a "link" between.
thanks, I was just worried people were going to be like Sue is fat she must be a retard. When that doesn't mean that all it means is people with low IQ are more likely to be overweight. not that people who are overweight have low IQs. Look there's skinny retards and fat geniuses

Words of Ivory

MBTI Type
INFJ
When that doesn't mean that all it means is people with low IQ are more likely to be overweight. not that people who are overweight have low IQs.
Tons of the world's most renowned intellectuals are overweight. Apparently, in all that time they spent thinking about stuff, they never thought it would be a good idea to go out for a jog every so often...

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Even those with the lowest IQs should be able to understand the prevailing "eat less exercise more" wisdom.

xisnotx

Permabanned
People waste money on studies that mean nothing.

My school found a corrleation between happiness and success.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tons of the world's most renowned intellectuals are overweight. Apparently, in all that time they spent thinking about stuff, they never thought it would be a good idea to go out for a jog every so often...

That's for a different study. These links involve correlations. How do we know it's not a hormone imbalance causing the weight issue in both groups?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even those with the lowest IQs should be able to understand the prevailing "eat less exercise more" wisdom.

It's not so much a matter of understanding the wisdom behind it. It's a question of caring about the wisdom behind it. Who cares more about such issues, those with higher IQ or those with lowly IQ? There may be non-carers in both groups. Losing weight involves future expectation of reward with little reward in the short run. Which group tends to plan more for the future? Which group is better able to put off short term satisfactions in favor of long term satisfactions?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's not so much a matter of understanding the wisdom behind it. It's a question of caring about the wisdom behind it. Who cares more about such issues, those with higher IQ or those with lowly IQ? There may be non-carers in both groups. Losing weight involves future expectation of reward with little reward in the short run. Which group tends to plan more for the future? Which group is better able to put off short term satisfactions in favor of long term satisfactions?

That's a good point, so it's not the what or how to eat they need to know but the WHY.

Fatness is highly heritable, IQ is supposedly too, I wonder if that means something, potential for IQ and fatness being passed down the same lines I suppose.

KDude

This doesn't explain the myriad of neckbearded, pot bellied, programmer geniuses living off of pizza and mountain dew in their basements.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My stomach is beyond flat, it's actually concave, without sucking it in. 5'11 and 24 inch waist.

I still do a lot of stupid shit.

Chloe

Interesting. I had my IQ tested few years ago and it was quite bigger than when I had it tested (for entry college exam) this summer. I also put on weight since few years ago. :shrug::D

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unless a direct and reliable connection can be drawn between low IQ and obesity, this study just seems like another case were correlation=/=causation.

it is a little bit disturbing to me that IQ testing is mandated.

True that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Look, I'm no fan of these types of idiotic wastes of the scientific method (and government funding), but you people do realize that saying "I know lots of smart fatties" or "I bet some fat people are smart" is kind of irrelevant, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure that's accounted for in the study already.

I know it's hard to find meaning in such meaningless BS studies, but if you're going to try, you should realize that you don't need it to be universal (i.e., "all fatties have lower IQs") in order to do so.

Words of Ivory

MBTI Type
INFJ
you people do realize that saying "I know lots of smart fatties" or "I bet some fat people are smart" is kind of irrelevant, right?
Yes, most of us are fully aware that our own personal experiences are not the end all and be all of scientific research.

Most of us simply aren't taking this ridiculous "study" with any level of seriousness, and how universally ridiculous any sort of correlation between these two things is.