User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTx

Default To jailbreak or not to jailbreak [iPhone 4]?

My friend is telling me to do this, but I don't even really know what it means or accomplishes. Can someone shed some light? Is it legal? Are there good reasons for doing it? Are there negative consequences of doing it?

NPcomplete

I know someone who's done it and now they get apps for free. It probably invalidates the warranty but I'm not sure. I don't think it's legal haha.

I don't own any iThings so I never bothered to learn how to do it.

MBTI
    ISTx

It only effects the software, so it shouldn't effect the warranty to my knowledge (because you can restore to factory settings at any time). If it's just to pirate apps, then I don't need it. :P

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    It only effects the software, so it shouldn't effect the warranty to my knowledge (because you can restore to factory settings at any time). If it's just to pirate apps, then I don't need it. :P
    I'll ask him when I see him next I suppose. He only ever boasted about getting free apps.

Glycerine

I have done it.... it works but you gotta watch out for the "white screen of death" so be careful on what apps you download through jailbreaking. It does invalidate the warranty (because it's not from Apple) but it's easy to restore it to regular settings through itunes. I restored it and didn't lose any of my data (contacts, music, etc). If you do run into the white screen, just restore the phone. The one downside is that Cydia and the others are really slow and sometimes buggy compared to the Appstore.

I used greenpoison. To be honest, I didn't think it was all that worth it.

MBTI
    ISTx

Alright, thanks.

I don't think I'll be doing it.