• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neutrinos measured traveling faster than light!

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Scientists at CERN have announced they have measured neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, if this is confirmed by other scientists, it will have truly enormous implications for science and maybe society too. Things like sending information into the past and extra dimensions might be possible, this is a once in a century discovery(and that's why alot of other scientist remain skeptical). They measured the neutrinos traveling about 60 nanoseconds faster than light(with a margin of error of 10 nanoseconds).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These physicists are too optimistic regarding their margin of error.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Scientists at CERN have announced they have measured neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, if this is confirmed by other scientists, it will have truly enormous implications for science and maybe society too. Things like sending information into the past and extra dimensions might be possible, this is a once in a century discovery(and that's why alot of other scientist remain skeptical). They measured the neutrinos traveling about 60 nanoseconds faster than light(with a margin of error of 10 nanoseconds).

Shortnsweets all over the forum remain skepitcal, despite the mind-blowing evidence.
Article?

There are other shortnsweets in other-dimension type c's waiting for answers.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is promising. I'm excited to see what this means if it pans out. I imagine the value would be more about our understanding of how the world works as opposed to some specific application of FTL neutrinos.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The big question is whether OPERA researchers have discovered particles going faster than light, or whether they have been misled by an unidentified "systematic error" in their experiment that's making the time look artificially short. Chang Kee Jung, a neutrino physicist at Stony Brook University in New York, says he'd wager that the result is the product of a systematic error. "I wouldn't bet my wife and kids because they'd get mad," he says. "But I'd bet my house."

Jung, who is U.S. spokesperson for a similar experiment in Japan called T2K, says the tricky part is accurately measuring the time between when the neutrinos are born by slamming a burst of protons into a solid target and when they actually reach the detector. That timing relies on the global positioning system, and the GPS measurements can have uncertainties of tens of nanoseconds. "I would be very interested in how they got a 10-nanosecond uncertainty, because from the systematics of GPS and the electronics, I think that's a very hard number to get."

No previous measurements obviously rule out the result, says Kostelecky, who has spent 25 years developing a theory, called the standard model extension, that accounts for all possible types of violations of special relativity in the context of particle physics. "If you had told me that there was a claim of faster-than-light electrons, I would be a lot more skeptical," he says. The possibilities for neutrinos are less constrained by previous measurements, he says.
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/09/neutrinos-travel-faster-than-lig.html

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By the way, a nanosecond is 1 billionth of a second. A margin of error of 10 billionths of a second is practically God-like in its degree of certainty. And that is the equivalent of unbelievable.

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP
3163hg4.jpg

More proof that Tesla was a time traveler.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neutrons, neutrinos, what's the difference anyway??

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP

I think the bigger deal was particles going faster than the speed of light. Neutrons/Neutrinos is just a coincidence. In fact Im pretty sure the whole thing is a coincidence, it just happens to be an amusing one.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the bigger deal was particles going faster than the speed of light. Neutrons/Neutrinos is just a coincidence. In fact Im pretty sure the whole thing is a coincidence, it just happens to be an amusing one.

Faster than the speed of light - relative to an observer's framework, you mean. Otherwise, time and space measurements don't apply to quantum particles.

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP
By the way, a nanosecond is 1 billionth of a second. A margin of error of 10 billionths of a second is practically God-like in its degree of certainty. And that is the equivalent of unbelievable.
Yeppers, 60 nanoseconds increase over a 500 mile course means that, in a horse race with a photon, the neutrino reached the finish-line 59 inches ahead of the bright one.

Neutrino means: Little Neutron.

Electrons and Neutrinos are little fellas compared to Neutrons and Protons. (marbles -vs- basketballs)

Neutrons and Protons are made up of triplets of UP and DOWN Quarks.

Neutron: 2D+1U
Proton: 1D+2U

In Beta Decay, a Neutron becomes a Proton by converting an DOWN Quark into an UP, and in doing so, it emits an Electron and a Neutrino.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeppers, 60 nanoseconds increase over a 500 mile course means that, in a horse race with a photon, the neutrino reached the finish-line 59 inches ahead of the bright one.

Neutrino means: Little Neutron.

Electrons and Neutrinos are little fellas compared to Neutrons and Protons. (marbles -vs- basketballs)

Neutrons and Protons are made up of triplets of UP and DOWN Quarks.

Neutron: 2D+1U
Proton: 1D+2U

In Beta Decay, a Neutron becomes a Proton by converting an DOWN Quark into an UP, and in doing so, it emits an Electron and a Neutrino.

Nice job - dropping the context of my question. The Tesla quote mentioned neutrons instead of neutrinos.

I'm really more interested in the philosophy of QM, what kind of philosophy can be derived from QM, and how its findings may alter our notions of time and space.

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP
Nice job - dropping the context of my question. The Tesla quote mentioned neutrons instead of neutrinos.

I'm really more interested in the philosophy of QM, what kind of philosophy can be derived from QM, and how its findings may alter our notions of time and space.

LOL, Relax your sphincter a little bit huh?
I was answering your rhetorical snark so that the less scientifically-minded would 'get-it': Tesla is no latter-day prophet.

If true, How will this impact our understanding of Space/Time?
The same way it will impact our understanding of Mass/Energy.
...and by this I mean a foundational paradigm shift no less shattering than Einstein's destruction of Newtonian Physics.

Thus, most have had a knee jerk reaction that it must be in error somehow.

But the thing is, those guys at CERN are top-shelf and know their rep is on the line with this announcement. They have spent months re-dotting the Is and re-crossing the Ts before announcing.

The Jury is gonna be out until the Americans and Japanese confirm/dispute the findings, but if I were a theoretical physicist I'd be welded to the chalk-board right now.

Lark

Neutrinos cited for speeding.

Those guys were on TMNT's I hated them, they were draft dodgers from Dimension X.