• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neutrinos measured traveling faster than light!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This finding is just another "Higgs boson." I think I'll coin a term. It's kind of like a Macguffin. Some scientists report that they made a discovery which will shake our intellectual foundations, or give final support to them, which eventually turns out to be a false finding.

Somebody's not a big fan of discovery.. is it that you don't want your excitement to betray you when it ends up being nothing? ;)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Somebody's not a big fan of discovery.. is it that you don't want your excitement to betray you when it ends up being nothing? ;)

You must know I love new scientific discoveries so much. Otherwise, why would you refer to my "excitement" factor?

I told a physics friend of mine about the recent Higgs boson "discovery," and he responded with "OMG!"

Then, after he looked into it for a couple days, he realized it was not a verified discovery, and in fact these are just possibilities that creep up about once a year and are spread around in memos around physics labs. This particular memo just happened to get leaked to the press, and suddenly, the Higgs boson became "big news." For the moment.

I've seen this type of thing happen quite frequently in my lifetime.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You must know I love new scientific discoveries so much. Otherwise, why would you refer to my "excitement" factor?

I told a physics friend of mine about the recent Higgs boson "discovery," and he responded with "OMG!"

Then, after he looked into it for a couple days, he realized it was not a verified discovery, and in fact these are just possibilities that creep up about once a year and are spread around in memos around physics labs. This particular memo just happened to get leaked to the press, and suddenly, the Higgs boson became "big news." For the moment.

I've seen this type of thing happen quite frequently in my lifetime.

Truth is, I'm excited anything like this is reported, but I know it may never amount to anything. On the more practical side, I'm probably waiting for something like 20 different 'alternative energy' revolutionary findings to actually amount to anything at all.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Truth is, I'm excited anything like this is reported, but I know it may never amount to anything. On the more practical side, I'm probably waiting for something like 20 different 'alternative energy' revolutionary findings to actually amount to anything at all.

Cold fusion would be cool. But I'm going to post a recent discovery that doesn't exist in just memo form.