User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. #41
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    This finding is just another "Higgs boson." I think I'll coin a term. It's kind of like a Macguffin. Some scientists report that they made a discovery which will shake our intellectual foundations, or give final support to them, which eventually turns out to be a false finding.
    Somebody's not a big fan of discovery.. is it that you don't want your excitement to betray you when it ends up being nothing?

  2. #42
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Somebody's not a big fan of discovery.. is it that you don't want your excitement to betray you when it ends up being nothing?
    You must know I love new scientific discoveries so much. Otherwise, why would you refer to my "excitement" factor?

    I told a physics friend of mine about the recent Higgs boson "discovery," and he responded with "OMG!"

    Then, after he looked into it for a couple days, he realized it was not a verified discovery, and in fact these are just possibilities that creep up about once a year and are spread around in memos around physics labs. This particular memo just happened to get leaked to the press, and suddenly, the Higgs boson became "big news." For the moment.

    I've seen this type of thing happen quite frequently in my lifetime.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #43
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    You must know I love new scientific discoveries so much. Otherwise, why would you refer to my "excitement" factor?

    I told a physics friend of mine about the recent Higgs boson "discovery," and he responded with "OMG!"

    Then, after he looked into it for a couple days, he realized it was not a verified discovery, and in fact these are just possibilities that creep up about once a year and are spread around in memos around physics labs. This particular memo just happened to get leaked to the press, and suddenly, the Higgs boson became "big news." For the moment.

    I've seen this type of thing happen quite frequently in my lifetime.
    Truth is, I'm excited anything like this is reported, but I know it may never amount to anything. On the more practical side, I'm probably waiting for something like 20 different 'alternative energy' revolutionary findings to actually amount to anything at all.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Truth is, I'm excited anything like this is reported, but I know it may never amount to anything. On the more practical side, I'm probably waiting for something like 20 different 'alternative energy' revolutionary findings to actually amount to anything at all.
    Cold fusion would be cool. But I'm going to post a recent discovery that doesn't exist in just memo form.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Faster-than-light Neutrino Travel EXPLAINED
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 04:21 AM
  2. Update: Neutrinos Traveling Faster Than Light (NOT!)
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
  3. INTJ seems more literal than ISTJ?
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
  4. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction...
    By Wolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
  5. Do Sensors read faster than iNtuitives?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 03:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO