User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6879293.ece

Explosions, scientists arrested for alleged terrorism, mysterious breakdowns — recently Cern’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has begun to look like the world’s most ill-fated experiment.

Is it really nothing more than bad luck or is there something weirder at work? Such speculation generally belongs to the lunatic fringe, but serious scientists have begun to suggest that the frequency of Cern’s accidents and problems is far more than a coincidence.

The LHC, they suggest, may be sabotaging itself from the future — twisting time to generate a series of scientific setbacks that will prevent the machine fulfilling its destiny.

At first sight, this theory fits comfortably into the crackpot tradition linking the start-up of the LHC with terrible disasters. The best known is that the £3 billion particle accelerator might trigger a black hole capable of swallowing the Earth when it gets going. Scientists enjoy laughing at this one.

This time, however, their ridicule has been rather muted — because the time travel idea has come from two distinguished physicists who have backed it with rigorous mathematics.

What Holger Bech Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, are suggesting is that the Higgs boson, the particle that physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be “abhorrent to nature”.

What does that mean? According to Nielsen, it means that the creation of the boson at some point in the future would then ripple backwards through time to put a stop to whatever it was that had created it in the first place.

This, says Nielsen, could explain why the LHC has been hit by mishaps ranging from an explosion during construction to a second big bang that followed its start-up. Whether the recent arrest of a leading physicist for alleged links with Al-Qaeda also counts is uncertain.
    Prepare for unforeseen consequences.
    +10% Crit Chance

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Suppose this is a neutrino.

O

And they measure it like this.

|O------------------------->O|

(they send it and then measure it when it hits)

Is it possible the 60 nanoseconds is the time it falls short of traveling the complete distance?

I mean, they should measure like this.

|O-------------------------------->|O

I too am skeptical, I'm not writing Einstein off just yet.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don't even know how they distinguish those neutrinos from others.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

It is an extraordinary result. And if it can be confirmed by experiment, it will challenge our understanding of time and space.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is an extraordinary result. And if it can be confirmed by experiment, it will challenge our understanding of time and space.
    A. What confirmation by experiment are you looking for? Another experiment?

B. The idea of quantum entanglement already challenges our notions of time and space and has done so for the last 80 years or so.

MBTI
    ISFP

We finally are beginning to understand the great mysteries that have plagued man for so long . . . like how to travel back in time and use the last of the milk for your Lucky Goo cereal before your roommate is ultrasonically disintegrated by your evil genius dog's super-duper kill ray sun glasses thereby spreading particulate disgusting-ness all over the kitchen counter and into the milk jar.

MBTI
    ESFJ

"We don't allow faster-than-light neutrinos in here" Says the barman. A neutrino walks into a bar.

Neutrino.
    Who's there?
    Knock knock.

For the first time i found out some thing important before my kid. I brought the New Scientist magazine last week just for information purposes on this subject and was doing fine until i read
    The trick is to send neutrinos on a shortcut through a forth, thus-far-unobserved dimension of space, reducing the distance they have to travel. Then the neutrinos wouldn't have to outstrip light to reach their destination in the observed time. In such a universe, the particles and forces we are familiar with are anchored to a four-dimension membrane, or "brane", with three dimensions of space and one of time. Crucially, the bane floats in a higher dimensional space-time called the bulk, which we are normally completely oblivious to.
    .. Interesting if i knew what it actually meant.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Okay, very fuzzy about whether it actually occurred.

But I think it will be broken someday. They were convinced the speed of sound couldn't be broken.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Neutrino.
    Who's there?
    Knock knock.
    Hah! Love it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

This finding is just another "Higgs boson." I think I'll coin a term. It's kind of like a Macguffin. Some scientists report that they made a discovery which will shake our intellectual foundations, or give final support to them, which eventually turns out to be a false finding.