User Tag List

Exclamation History of Electronics

Educational video for [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_7i6T_H78&feature=youtu.be"]the consuming masses [/YOUTUBE]
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTP

The title of this thread is misleading. That's not a history of electronics, it's a propaganda flick.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    The title of this thread is misleading. That's not a history of electronics, it's a propaganda flick.
    And that is your opinion.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    And that is your opinion.
    ??

In what way is that a history of electronics?

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    ??

In what way is that a history of electronics?
    I meant your assessment about the propaganda. But I'll reckon the title mismatch, likely attributed to a linguistics gap.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

See also: "Poison Valley - Silicon Valley" (From Salon.com) & Part 2.

Exasperated with the absence of reliable data, in 1998 LaDou and members of a working group developed a preliminary study plan with the Environmental Protection Agency's Common Sense Initiative to measure cancer and birth defects among California semiconductor workers by cross-linking the state's cancer and birth defect registries with an industry-provided database of semiconductor employees, broken down as to which employees held which job and in what occupational setting. With a few additions -- like tracking birth defects and collecting detailed job descriptions -- it was the same idea as a 1983 Swedish study that found an elevated risk of cancer among electronics workers as a whole, and that concluded with a call for further study "focusing on particular features of the work environment."

The EPA put forward $100,000, and California's Department of Health Services, which had been chosen to conduct the study, promised "an umbrella of confidentiality" to protect the privacy of both workers and specific companies.

At the last minute, the semiconductor industry pulled out, led by representatives from IBM and Intel. In a widely reported statement -- leaked to the press in violation of confidentiality rules -- Intel spokesman Tim Mohin declared: "To participate in a project like this would be like giving [legal] discovery to plaintiffs. I might as well take a gun and shoot myself."
    I guess the solution was just to outsource much of the production to countries who don't care about that sort of thing.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

"Take back" is a good thing, but its not enough to solve upcoming ressource shortage and waste overkill. I like the concept, also invented by an american, called "cradle to cradle", which says that products from the start are built 100% recycable. That is the most rational solution, if you basically would produce no waste, besides maybe organic waste which can naturally rot.

I've learnt that in Germany for example only 3% of the copper waste is recycled. Thats ultimatively dumb cause copper is really no hard material to isolate from waste and recycling it doesnt need such a big industrial process. Copper prices have already shot thru the roof with the ongoing increase in demand from China and India and that wont become better.

It's basically again profit-oriented industries who block recycling and this can only be changed if the consumer starts denieing to buy products which aint "green" or if politics change taxes on waste dramatically. Since politics is most often the slave of industry it's at the end of the day only us who can change that, so spread the message.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]